iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

170 franklin

Started by lumberjake, October 21, 2012, 10:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjake

hi, i just purchased a 1986 franklin 170 yesturday with a 453 detroit and was wondering if anyone else owns one or has run one and just wanted to get a little feed back on the machine with any common problems they might have. we run older timberjacks with 353's in them and are a pretty simple maching and this being 10 yrs newer than our other skidders its a little different. Im sure running a machine with a turbo is going to make a difference, but ive never ran an automatic. Im trying to get some numbers so i can change all the oil and filters being i have no idea how old they are. I really wasnt looking for a 170 but for 3800 bucks i couldnt pass it up and it was a one owner machine. any info would be appreciated, thanks

Autocar

I don't know much about Franklin but if they put a three speed power shift made by Clark I feel you have a good trasmission pluse its not a bad price to get rebuild.
Bill

treefarmer87

GOOD BUY! franklin made a good machine. i have a c6 treefarmer and its almost a similar machine
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

loggah

Franklins are tough skidders, i owned a 1990 model 660 with a 177 hp cummins for several years, the transmissions are Franklins own 4 speed forward ,2 reverse. They are noisey in first and second gear,the gears are straight cut in them,but 3rd and 4th have helical cut gears and are quieter. You might not notice it with  detroit power !!!! ;D ;D.The clutch packs are external on them so if you loose a forward or reverse clutch they can be replaced without taking the transmission apart. I never had any trouble with the transmissions or axles in the many years i ran mine. I did have starter,alternator, battery, and fuel injection pump problems with the cummins. The good thing about the franklin transmissions is they will hold back on steep hills.good luck!!! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

lumberjake

thanks everybody, it has a 4 speed powershift. Im in the process of replacing all the filters and changing all the oil in my spare time after we get done in the woods. i should just take a day off and get it done so i can get her out there and see how she pulls. getting kinda antsy!

lynde37avery

sweet buy. throw some photos up some time if ya get the chance. i dig the franks.  8)
Detroit WHAT?

lumberjake

sure thing as soon as i figure that out. im not quite sure how to do that. it could use a little paint, i guess it sat for a while as a back up skidder. i have two other franklins,one's a 160 about the same year as the one you have on your profile and a forwarder my great uncle bought new in the 70's and a tj225 and 230. im a fan of the tj's cause they sit so low and theyre easy to work on and that's what i mainly run. im also a fan of the older machines since they're pretty simple to fix and we've had those machines for atleast 25 years so the old man knows them from one end to the other. When i bought this we started changing fluids and i have to put a manifold on it, i laughed when he said he hates new machines they're too hard to work on and i had to remind him it's 26yrs old, not that new. just to him

lumberjake

anyone know where i can find a matainence manual for this machine. that shows specs on everything. i have a parts book but thats all. thanks

Thank You Sponsors!