iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodworking Travel Destinations

Started by lacapic, May 05, 2008, 04:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacapic

Often when I travel, I look for woodworking sites such as museums or anything a woodworker would be interested in. Are you guys aware of places a woodworker on vacation would be interested in seeing?

Dave Shepard

I don't know where you are, but if you make it to Pittsfield Mass. the Hancock Shaker Village is worth a visit. There is a woodworking shop powered by a water turbine, as well as a cabinet shop. It isn't a huge wood working destination, but the buildings are fascinating, and there are plenty of things that the Shakers made in the building from furniture to built in cupboards that are very interesting. It is interesting that the Shakers didn't do high quality work for the sake of showing off, they believed that everything they did should be of the highest quality. The handrails on the main floor staircase are no more ornate than the ones leading to the second attic. They love built in storage as I mentioned before. Even the attic has an attic. :D If you make it there on the weekend you might see me in the blacksmith shop.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

Maine maritime Museum in Bath Me., Check out the Bath Ironworks dry dock on the river as well. There is a really old wood shop on the grounds of the Museum that was used to build the ships. . Also, just north on rt1 is the Shelter Institute (alternative and timber framers shop, quite cool), While in the area check out "Eartha" at Delorme right off the highway inbetween South Freeport and Bunswick (I think, google Delorme) Eartha is three stories high indoor globe made of topo maps, backlit and rotating, really cool.

The other places to check out are old university wood shops (Sait Vincent here, circa 1900 and still complete and used by the maintaince guys) and Carnegie Museum and Natural History Museum (circa 1910-30, still in use, traditionally built all the displays for the musuems. Also. Carnegie Science Center display shop, wood, metal, various materials) My point is this, Start asking around there are LOTS of initeresting things out there if you ask around. Generally if you ask and wait for a convient time for them, most will open there door to you.

Any boat shop on the east coast is usually interesting, some recliamed flooring manufacturers have interesting old equipment (must have something to do w/ being resourceful). Also old pattern shops or steel mill carpentery shops. I have been fortunate to see many throughout our region and beyond as they were auctioned off or scrapped. I have TON of artifacts, many things made in house and maps and documents and such.

Shaver Bros, in Auburn NY (finger lakes area) OLD barn in town STUFFED with OLD equipment used for various jobs. Pat owns the place and sells salvage and some wood BIG mahagony. Be careful while on the second and third floors in the barn, WAY overloaded and a little scary.

LOTS of interesting stuff out there.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!