iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reverse Box On A Timberjack

Started by Autocar, February 28, 2020, 05:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Out of curiosity dose anyone a have a picture of the internal parts of a reverser box ,that may not be the right name but it can make the winch run forward or back words.
Bill

Maine logger88

It is called a reverser or reverser box I don't have any pictures I have had mine apart but it was a long time ago. There's not much in there just a few gears a sliding clutch and a shift fork 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

GRANITEstateMP

Autocar,

I found the repair manual for our TJ @ JohnDeere parts.  Might not be the correct website? Anyways it was pretty short money, I think $25? I got the cd rom version and print pages and 3 ring binder them as we do repairs.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Autocar

Thanks for your reply's I am not real internet savy but will look into it. One thing I have learned in my 70 some years the more you understand about a peace of equipment the better off you are. Break down back in the woods knowing what to do to repair is better then standing there scratching your head plus a few four letter words threw in  ;D . Things that come to mind was a R model Mack I  was loading logs on a narrow trail I went to move and when I pushed the clutch in the fingers on the pressure plate were worn enough and went over the bearing. Ran a 4x4 thur the drive and passenger side window and pulled the transmission seen the problem put the finger back on the bearing and put it back togather . Didn't learn the first time pushed the clutch in and did the same thing. Did everything again and learned to put light pressure on the clutch got it home and made the repair a few days later. The story's I can tell about a one man logger blows my mind sometimes  :D.
Bill

bushmechanic

Autocar can you tell me which reverser you have? Does the shift lever come out the center on the top (Borg Warner) or do it come out the right side (New Process)?  

Autocar

It's a New Process anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated. Kind of got it in my head to rebuild the 3/53 this coming fall and figured looking at the reverser box at the same time. 
Bill

bushmechanic

I'm not sure what you want to know, but I can ramble on for hours :D. They are a good reverser with little trouble if treated right. The big thing with them are to make sure to come to a complete stop before shifting. If you hear it grinding then the sliding clutch is wearing, that's bad! Under abusive conditions the retaining clip will pop off the short shaft that connects the two gearboxes and then the rearward gear will float forward and chew the input shaft until the gear strips out and the machine won't move in forward. Some rebuilding tips would be, when you install a oil seal in the input shaft wrap the clutch spline in cellophane so you don't cut the new seal when sliding it on over the shaft ( small insurance to getting it in and then have it leak). Make sure that all of the needle bearings are in place when mating the two boxes, side note if the boxes don't push right together then a needle has dropped down(do not try and pull them together with the bolts you will break something). Watch the short reverse idler shaft, sometimes they are too long and need to be ground flush or you will have a leak between the two boxes. I have a pic somewhere in a binder, i'll try and post it for you later. When you are ready to do something I'm only a click away ;)     

bushmechanic

Thank You Sponsors!