iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good tape measure, gloves, and plugs.

Started by 4x4American, May 06, 2017, 06:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

If I'm logging I use this. but it's to $$$ for everyday use...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

I use Kinko insulated gloves!

Insulated for the padding, because sometimes stuff happens!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SineWave

My favorite has always been the 16' Stanley, but that DeWalt "Two for $20" Christmas deal looks like the clear winner, MM...

longtime lurker

Spencer for logs, Stanley for anything else but lately I've take to buying a box of the cheapochinee ones at a time.... 10% of the price and look just as bad when someone runs a forklift or loader or drops a log on them.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

red

A homemade measuring stick , story pole or survey stick . Keep it Simple
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

DR Buck

Have some of them all...   Lufkin, Stanley (both regular and Fatmax),  Komelon  and Cen-Tec.     My favorite for around the house and shop are the Komelon from Lowes.   They are pretty rugged and have a nice hi-vis blade that is easy to see and read.    The Lufkin are nice around the mill because the bright orange color is easy to see and I don't loos them so easy in the sawdust.     My favorite when on portable jobs are the Cen-Tec from Harbor Freight.   I picked up 6 of them on sale for about $2 each 7 or 8 years ago figuring I'd loose them pretty quickly and wouldn't be out much money.   They're also orange and fairly rugged as well.   I still have 5 of them out in the sawmill tool box !!!   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

paul case

Come to think of it, we still are using a fat max that was clipped to WWSJR's mill when we got home, feb 2016. My dad doesn't like the name fat max so much?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Dan_Shade

I like the old style 12' Stanley Leverlock, I rarely wear gloves, and "what"?  I use hard hats with ear muffs
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

caveman

In the shop I use Stanley and Lufkin (one of my Lufkin tapes has two 113" in marks.  I discovered this when I cut a board I intended to cut at 131" at 113").  At the mill, we use the free ones from Chinese Junk and Crap (Harbor Fright Freight).  The clips are junk but we leave one on the clamp side of the mill and another rides on the power feed control box.  I would hate to subject a good tape to all of the pine sap that a fresh longleaf or slash pine will leak out.  I do like the Spencer 100' logger's tape for measuring log length, diameter and also for measuring 100' when setting up slope courses for FFA land judging practice.
Caveman

4x4American

I had one spencer tape and I didn't keep up on the screws and she blew apart, never got another one yet
Boy, back in my day..

Brad_bb

Tape: 25' Komelon self locking (fluorescent green)
Gloves: Stihl Timbersports , I like gloves that are more fitting like a batting glove.  I used to buy the $5 RW ones at Menards, but the leather doesn't last very long.  You can extend the life of them by using a leather conditioner like Obenauf's.  The Stihl gloves last about 4 times longer and maybe longer with conditioner.  The weak point of the Stihl gloves is the black spandex between the leather of the fingers.  When feeding my burn barrels, If I get them hot, I think it cooks this material making more brittle and it tears.  I then have to turn the fingers inside out and resew on my sewing machine. I also trim the fingertips to fit better and resew the tips on my machine.

Ear protection:  I got so tired of earplugs that I broke down and got a really good set of earmuffs from SRS Tactical.  I got MSA Sordin Supreme Pro Electronic hearing protection earmuffs.  I use them for shooting too. You can use them as passive hearing protection, or electronic noise cancelling.  That allows you to talk to people and hear them fine, but loud noise gets blocked.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

21incher

I have about 25 of the tapes harbor freight gives out free every time you go there.  ;D
They seem to hold up well and are the best price tape I can find.  I like the latex coated kinco thermal gloves as they out last the leather ones that I used to buy.  I just mute my hearing aids and stream music to them to eliminate loud noises  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!