iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Expansion and Warren Does a Faceplant

Started by Percy, October 20, 2003, 09:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

When it rains like it does up here in B.C. , you cant have enuff roof...so...we are in the process of building more roof and deck for milling. My son Warren(23) has returned home for a few months waiting to go to college. Of course, he has sawdust in his veins and has been helping me bigtime lately.Last week we built a 28 X 20 deck expansion for piling/banding/covering lumber. On the weekend and today we started building a roof over this new deck. Hadda great day (cept for the rain)today. Snappin pics,assembling beams and cutting Pine logs for rafters.

This is me  liftin up a 36 foot 12 X12 laminated beam into place. The  ancient Hyster is an asset. Love it.

This is the view from behind the forklift. The beam is long and kinda wobbly as the forks are only about 5 feet apart.

We cut 1050 bd ft of 13 foot 2x6 outta these skinny pine logs in just over an hour and a half of cutting time...Included a blade change. Gonna use them for rafters between the beams and existing roof.  12 foot span max(16 inch centers)...Opinions on whether this will be strong enuff??

Here is Warren packin pine slabs off to the burn pile. Im tellin him to pack it low as they are much heavier than the cedar ones. "yeah  yeah Dad" says Warren  untill.........
I decided to keep the camera in my hand as it was obvious what was gonna happen. No injury, no damage, just a little adrenalin floatin around :D ;D

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Stephen_Wiley

Percy,

You made my day  :D :)

Was still thinking of a phone conversation with my son in college, and his outright refusal to listen to some fatherly wisdom.

Guess he will have to learn as his Father did ? (Although he thinks he is being different).
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

dewwood

Percy,

I'm sure that experience will make a lasting impression on your son, much more so than several fatherly advice suggestions.  It is nice to have your children work with you it just seems to make the day more enjoyable.  

I just sent a letter to my son with some info he needed.  He is going to school in Yooper land at Mich Tech University.  Wish he was a little closer so we could see him more often.

Have a great day and enjoy your son's company.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Stump Jumper

Stump jumper has been in a similiar position as your son but he was in the middle of gravel road with a load of gravel.  I was not there to get a picture. He claims he had it back on all four before you could say tip me up. :D

His dad backed over a bank and luckily there was tree to keep him from rolling over backwards could not drive out had to have a dozer pull him out.  This skidsteer is fairly tough and keeps you inside.  In case of an accident.

This is with a John Deere 250 Hiflow skid steer.

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Minnesota_boy

Dewwood,
Keep a close eye on your son.  I let mine go off to MTU and when he came back he was an engineer and I cna't get a lick of work out of him since.  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

trey_w

:D :D

Yep, I had to learn the hard way too.  My brother's son is two and is going to have the same problem I think.  He was jumping on the couch one day and my brother looked over and said (covering his mouth) "I certainly wouldn't mmmmummble mmummmmble if I were you"  sure enough he did a backflip and banged his head.  He looked up at Ric and Ric just said " Hurt didn't it."  He just rubbed his head and went back to playing.  Tough kid.   :D
If you put your two cents in and only get a penny for your thoughts...who gets the change?

Jeff

Coulda been worse. Coulda been lumber. Then he woula remembered for sure after restacking it.

One of our guys did thata few years ago with one of our W14 case loaders. Had a stack of 16 foot red oak on. He was trying to go through a door opening of 15 foot so he had the loader fully articulated and the load elevated trying to swing in the end first. He flopped the loader over sideways, in the door way. :o
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey Percy,

When you mentioned a 12 ft. span to mate to the pre-existing roof line, the only thoughts that came to mind were ...

SNOW LOAD !

and
   AVALANCHE

Phil L.
p.s.    Knowing how heavy those Hysters can be, you and the son must have built one heck of a floor/deck!
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Frank_Pender

I too, thought of the snow load issue.   :'(  I am hoping you are useing a full 2" x 6" perlin from beam to beam.  In fact, I build such a building and place the full dimension perlins on a 14" center format.  The first year we had 24" + pf snow and the building held.  I was glad I had used such a spaceing. 8)
Frank Pender

EZ

12 foot span, lots of snow, I would go with 12 inch on center.
EZ

Don P

I still have a knot from learning that lesson years ago, Jeff we had a semi do that in front of the bay door at a furniture plant, 12000' hit the parking lot  :D

From my CABO codebook table for low slope rafters, no ceiling, 30 psf live load...2x6 at Fb 1200...16 inch max span is 10'8"...12 inch ctrs max is 12'4"

Drop to Fb 1000 and 12" drops to11'3"
Go up to Fb 1300 and 13.7" ctrs span 12'0"

Just showing that the real wild card in all this beam stuff is grade...and tables.

I just pulled out the Canuckian wood council tables;
SPF 2x6, No.1/No.2...12"ctrs- 13'9", 16" ctrs- 11'11"

Both tables were 30 live 10 dead load, with enough tables one is bound to agree with the wood at hand  :D.

Watch knot structure/ slope of grain very carefully! The losers can be wall purlins or cutters.

I ran it real quick on my beam calc and it was closer to the CABO span. I was thinking of making instructions for joist and rafter spans, I'll try to put some over on the beam span thread tonite. I think the CWC website has an online spancalc for typical dimensions and loadings.

I talked with our inspector last night, we adopted the new international code on Oct 1...all structural wood here must now be KD and grade stamped  :-/.

Percy

Hey guys.
Thanks for the building info. I was planning to use full dimention 2X6 for the rafters,16 inch centers,(and after reading your input), I think Ill double up on the 2X6's on the 12 foot span at least. What the heck, I can make them fast. We can get alot of snow, almost always followed by rain.

Nuther question,  The beams I built are 36 feet long,mounted on spruce 10X10s at a 26 foot span(5 feet overhang at each end). These beams were made of 18 foot 2X12 full dimention with the splices staggered so there is no two splices at the same point. Copius amounts of 5 inch twist nails were used to hold the beam together along with 5/8 ready rod bolts/ bridge washers every 6 feet. It looks powerfull tuff to me but, is this going to be a weak point?? I was up walking on them beams yesterday, and jumped up and down in the middle of the span and could not feel any significant flexing. I weigh 210 lbs.

Any input welcome.. ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

beenthere

So Percy, should we assume there are five 2x12's in the width of your beam?  

I think the critical factor is the depth of the beam. I wouldn't think your beam would break under the load (do you design for a 50# load in your neck of the woods?), but it may bend or sag a bit.

I tried to get a beam designed for a 24x24' shed that had a (nearly) flat deck above, and wanted it to span 24' and hold the 12' deck rafters (joists) without a post in the center. The nearest I could get was a beam (plywood/parallam) with 20 - 24" depth (and was told to "try it" to see if it would work!).  I decided I wasn't interested in that type of experiment  ;D and put in two posts (at 8' spacing) under a 3 ply 2x12 D. fir beam.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

EZ

When building a roof or floor, I always tell myself and others, If I can't drive my truck on it, it ain't strong enough.
EZ

Kevin_H.

Percy,
Just sittin here looking at your pics, thinking "been there, done that"  Man that can be a rough ride.

As I'm reading this thread my welder calls to tell me that my 743 is fixed and ready to pick up. seems I busted a weld or two on the center cylinder on the mast, musta been when I was digging up that stump. ;D

I had him add about 260 lb of counter weight to the rear end. should work out a little better now.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Thank You Sponsors!