iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill tire kickin/field trip

Started by JohnM, March 23, 2012, 09:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM

Took a drive down to Thomas Bandsaw Mills in Brooks, Maine.  Got to play around with the mill and ask a few questions.  Hardly know what to ask but ya gotta start somewhere.  :P  ;D  It seems to be a very solid piece of machinery and I think you get a lot for the money.  I know there are several FF members that have one including Ray (aka thecfarm).

Only sawed up a small (somewhat punky) stick of birch but the boards were nice an smooth and looked uniform.  It doesn't compensate for the blade kerf so we were getting 7/8" boards but I take it that can be figured out easy enough.  (This is all very new to me.)

Some of pics for your viewing pleasure.  ;)

This one is basically the same as the first but you can see the boards we cut to the left...nothing to brag about but was kind of fun.

The dogs with the movable bunks, kind of a neat feature.

From a completely novice point of view seems like a pretty decent machine.

Now for the hard part...coming up with the cash.  :-\  I still want a swingmill but I think I'll try to start small and see where it goes.  (Hydraulics are my Mars mission ;D)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

That sawmill looked nice.   :)

There is nothing wrong with 7/8" lumber.  The key is that it is consistent and uniform.  It would be simple to build or buy a scale to saw different dimensions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

If you have a scale, just add 1/8" to the dimensions that you want to cut.  For example if you are cutting hardwood at 1 1/8", then move the head each time 1 1/4".  The extra 1/8th represents the sawkerf. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

John,its a rare customer that demands full 1 or2." Itell them it will be a tad under and it sure makes figureing easier and the wood is just as good for any use. Pretty much the secret to cutting good lumber is your band maintenance.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Glad to hear that you went to look at it. I noticed they have the blade at a slight angle now. I just count 14 "clicks" and put a mark on the ruler. That gives me my full one inch.I was down there picking up my blades yesterday. They may know how to build sawmills,but they lack some on sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sawmill Man

Just wondering about that blade angle, does anyone know if there was an actual improvement in sawing quality or performance?
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

JohnM

Quote from: thecfarm on March 24, 2012, 08:58:39 AMThey may know how to build sawmills,but they lack some on sawing.
I'm not following you Ray?  Jon, the owner, is a nice enough guy but one of those 'nervous types' who's leg is always jumping/twitching.  That always weirds me out. :D 

Quote from: Sawmill Man on March 24, 2012, 10:41:14 AM
    Just wondering about that blade angle, does anyone know if there was an actual improvement in sawing quality or performance?
That was the first thing I noticed too Sawmill Man.  But like you I don't know how much it helps.  Coming from a woodworking/carpentry background it kind of makes sense to me as far when you go to cut something (with a handsaw at least) you start at an angle.   ???

MM, band, WDH...I didn't think it was too big a deal, thanks for explaining.  I have had a friend/sawyer here with his WM in the past and asked for 1" boards and got exactly that but never looked to see how he did it.  It's an 'older' (mid 90's maybe...?) machine with over 8000hrs on it but it cuts true as can be.  He may have setworks as well, not sure. 

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

John,They are smart when it comes to making something out of metal. I saw them try to use a peavey at a show once. I wanted to jump in and show them how. They don't quite understand the sawing of a log too well. but they don't have to really. They build a good product and guys like me make it shine. I'm not saying anything bad about them. But I kinda doubt they have sawed out many logs for building something.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

macpower

John,
Just add one "click" for kerf, works out good on my mill, 13clicks per inch plus one for the blade =14. I think the new ones are 8/inch, but that would be even closer.
I've been running a Thomas part time for a few years now, (6013). Nothing ever breaks on it. Not fast, but simple and repeatable accuracy. I think the idea on the canted head angle is to put more teeth into the cut at any time, it may give a smoother cut per blade speed? ??? My 6013 is a two post with 90degree cut angle, easy fast set up, nearly indestructible, economical mill. (Same as "thecfarm" but for the 13hp Honda, he has the 20hp twin. The main option you want would be the "no flex track", it is very ridgid and makes set up a breeze.
Jon is a pretty good guy to deal with, and they have been in business for quite a while.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

thecfarm

I also have the longer track too. Just makes it easier to roll a 16 footer on a longer track. But I did not get the axle kit. They took that back with them. I have the movable bunks too. I can put them together and cut a stick of firewood. Just like Mac's. It's quite the mill for the money. I have put only a few really big ones on my mill. Never once did I think any of them was too heavy for the mill.

macpower

...cfarm
Did you change your avatar? Is that your new twitchin' hoss?
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

JohnM

Yeah, one thing I had no doubt about is that it's one solid piece of machinery.  There's plenty of metal in it. 

The biggest 'problem' I have right now is they don't offer in house financing. :(   So I'm back to looking at WM's (and a couple of others) just so I could stretch it out with a 'relatively' low monthly payment.

...I think I need a 'cart before the horse' emote here.  smiley_confused

macpower

You might try talking to your local credit union, or even a local bank. From what I've seen, they can be pretty flexible on terms and interest rates.

thecfarm

mac is right on that one. I made out better at the credit union than NH.

Magicman

Most financial institutions are anxious to lend money, but your credit rating had better be high.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!