The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Poll: Eminent domain  (Read 12115 times)

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
Re: Poll: Eminent domain
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2005, 06:59:24 AM »
I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to see how far this could go.  That was my original thought on eminent domain.  Is zoning eminent domain?

What really frosts your cookies is when they allow a business to come in, then give them a real estate tax break for 20 years.  At the end of 20 years, the company just moves on.  So, they take a tax paying property, convert it to a lower taxed property and guess who makes up the difference.

In the meantime, they put on a larger demand on the infrastructure.  Guess who pays for those repairs.

As far as elected officials, money talks. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline farmerdoug

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2005, 08:10:00 AM »
We are a rural township with a power plant but we have had one instance already were someone asked for reduced taxes for building a foundry here.  Our township said if it is not profitable to build without a tax break then you do not need to build here.  We have seen the plants around in the area cities leave after the tax breaks ran out like Ron said.  We also saw plants leave to go to Arkansas to then Govern Clinton's minimum wage job creation plan that he was elected to the White House on also. 
That said a pet peave of mine is the people that complain about the elected people but do not even vote.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2005, 11:47:05 AM »
When we located our new mill in Al in 98 we did not consider looking for tax abatement. They offered it to us, we took it.We were locating where we did for other reasons and abatement was not one of them. My attitude is like farmerdoug's. If it takes abatement to get us there then it clouds our decision.  I think it is wrong for any community to offer it. It hurts established businesses and when the abatement is gone the business will run to the next place that offers incentives. Local people end up the losers in the long run. They just wasted their money on us because we wanted that location. Maybe some think it was wrong to take the money. We didn't ask for it, it was given.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2005, 01:15:10 PM »
Adding insult to injury.  After the land is stolen there is this new concept call tax increment financing (TIF).  Complicated scheme written by lawyers to benefit the rich and powerful.  Company submits a request for proposal to 50 cities fishing for the best deal.  Outright tax abatement, TIF, concessions from utilities, new infrastructure, along with all the other perks and sometimes these deals are pretty sweet.

Yeap, everybody wants a fishing super shop in their town...just how much ya willing to pay for it?

Sorta amazing to me when an government entity has a huge deferred maintenance debt but plenty of money for foop and frills.  Maybe I just dont understand things.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Eminent Domain - The other side

Started by Gary_C on General Board

22 Replies
Last post May 29, 2006, 08:00:55 PM
by Gary_C
xx
Loans on eminent domain properties

Started by Don_Papenburg on General Board

3 Replies
Last post January 27, 2006, 12:27:19 AM
by Don_Papenburg