iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

I had to tighten my drive belt yesterday.  30 degree drop in temperature since I shut it down and drive to move it.
      hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

doc henderson

I guess i had forgot to mention the Katts magnetic heater on the hydraulic tank.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Noticed that magnetic heater on your oil reservoir Doc. Which made me wonder; is it a low wattage heater which causes the belt squeal because the oil is still too thick?
Or are you milling in Canadian temps? 😉 ie: just too dang cold.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

the pics are a little out of order.  so I could not even raise or move the gantry without belt slippage.  so the tensioning, and tank heater came next (first), and after that was the milling of the log.  It worked fine last week at 60° despite the belt not having been tensioned in awhile (since this belt was new).  I am not a fan of belt dressing unless the tension does not work (even then).  I started the pic order with the first cut in the log, but that was after the work on the belt, and adding the heat.  I decided it was the season to throw those pics in there as well.  the heater will set there most of the season and be plugged in as the temps demand it.  300W
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Nice, thanks for the clarification. 
Some of those Kat mag heaters are available in 1200 W. ratings which will do the job when it's -20 C, but the problem is that they can overheat the oil in a localized spot, turning the oil reservoir into a fondue pot. It's better to use two or three 300 W. heaters spread out over a wider area.
Good work on milling in the frosty days !
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

Drove 45 miles to saw these 3 maple logs. I think they were an 8. a 10 and a 12 ft'er. Sawed it all 4/4 (1-1/8"). Charged my minimum fee but I did waive my mileage since my wife and I had to drive over there to get a dental cleaning anyway.

The client and his helper were very happy with the lumber and the fact I came to them. They were looking at having to rent a trailer and load the logs and figured this was a bargain. They really liked the wood. It did saw pretty good even with the knots. That longer one was a pain because of the stubs but I was able to spin it on the mill and saw them off. Maybe 400 bf of lumber and 1.6 engine hours used. They did have to ask me to show them how to use a cant hook as they had never seen one on operation so you came imagine the experience level. It was still fun other than my impatient wife wanting me to get finished and get moving toward home. (It didn't matter because I took her to lunch and she thought she had broken her new filling and we had to turn around about half way home and let the dentist smooth out the rough spot which was all it turned out to be.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

Monday John and I loaded and hauled a couple of loads of slash pine.  Yesterday we went and looked at a telehandler to consider bringing home.  Today we started the morning cleaning up slabs and burning some smaller stuff around the mill and loading the hot box with live oak.  Around 10, we finally started slabbing a few cypress logs, cut out a couple of mantles and slabbed out a short, spalted sweetgum log.  Tomorrow we will load the solar kiln with oak and sweetgum and saw a little more cypress.

Caveman

Dave Shepard

Sawing white oak trailer decking today.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

caveman

That white oak is too nice for trailer decking.
Caveman

Southside

I was gonna ask if that was going into a house trailer.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Good job!  Yup, the very best White Oak makes the very best trailer decking.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nebraska

Just making some 6x6 posts out of ERC. but I had hydraulics today. 8)  8)  Boys home on break from college.

doc henderson

they appear to be liquid powered, but not sure it is oil.  enjoy!

Nebraska

Diet Dr Pepper.  That's the pilot son.   I had to sneak the phone  out, to get a quick  picture. Amazes me how much more I get accomplished with even one of those two around. Oldest son and his significant other got there about dark.

mudfarmer

Have been sawing frozen hemlock in between other work. Yesterday freezing rain mist all day ::) About 600bf left, cut sheet is 8,10,12ft 1 & 2 x 4,6,8. 12ft frozen hemlock 2x8s add up fast but do not like handling them  ;D 

Had to increase blade tension a little more than normal. The WM 747s actually doing great, but dull fast and suddenly and will try something else next time...

Ordinarily don't keep much track of production but have been meticulous this time and all that did is point out the place for an edger, my biggest bottleneck by a lonnngggg shot. Edging on mill cuts my bf/hr in half consistently.

Stay safe and warm out there

Bruno of NH

Quote from: mudfarmer on December 26, 2021, 09:52:33 AM
Have been sawing frozen hemlock in between other work. Yesterday freezing rain mist all day ::) About 600bf left, cut sheet is 8,10,12ft 1 & 2 x 4,6,8. 12ft frozen hemlock 2x8s add up fast but do not like handling them  ;D

Had to increase blade tension a little more than normal. The WM 747s actually doing great, but dull fast and suddenly and will try something else next time...

Ordinarily don't keep much track of production but have been meticulous this time and all that did is point out the place for an edger, my biggest bottleneck by a lonnngggg shot. Edging on mill cuts my bf/hr in half consistently.

Try the silver tips in 7°  or ripper 37's in 7°  I don't think you have enough engine for the turbo 7's  
747 dull to fast for me 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mudfarmer

Resonator

I've used a kerosene flame heater in winter to preheat logs that were covered in ice and snow, helps the blades stay sharp longer.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

GAB

I tried two 15 packs of 747 blades, and I won't be ordering any more as I find the beam strength of the teeth is not sufficient in my knotty wood.  I don't know if I was asking too much of them or what but I may have 10 left to get sharpened.  The teeth were breaking when in use.  I recently ordered four 15 packs of 739's those worked better for me.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

mudfarmer

That mirrors my experience with the 747s as well GAB. Got a good deal on these but will not buy more. Broken teeth as well (not frozen logs). They do cut well when I get it all dialed and the right wood but should be able to saw faster than my mill can to get best results and was not looking for disposable blades.

richhiway

Quote from: mudfarmer on December 26, 2021, 09:52:33 AM
Have been sawing frozen hemlock in between other work. Yesterday freezing rain mist all day ::) About 600bf left, cut sheet is 8,10,12ft 1 & 2 x 4,6,8. 12ft frozen hemlock 2x8s add up fast but do not like handling them  ;D

I have the best luck with 4 degree blades in frozen softwood and hardwoods.
26 hp LT 40.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

trimguy

I tried the RRQS method yesterday for the first time. The log I had was too short to reach the toe rollers on each end Which made it harder with about 6 inches of taper in a 5 1/2 foot log.It also was not long enough for my hydraulic side supports.I was able to make it work with the manual ones, what they wanted to move when I was rolling the log. All in all it was a good experience, thanks yellow hammer. I wish I would have seen somebody do this in person first, but I'm sure I'll do better next time. Still got some nice boards.

SawyerTed

Back in the saddle!  Man it felt awesome to be sawing!  

My customer wanted 6x6s 12' long.  We made 12. We also made 8 6x6x8

He had a cute tractor or an awesome lawn mower, I'm not sure which it is.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

samandothers

Quote from: SawyerTed on December 31, 2021, 06:39:20 PM
Back in the saddle!  Man it felt awesome to be sawing!  

My customer wanted 6x6s 12' long.  We made 12. We also made 8 6x6x8
Good job, glad the knee is healing.

Thank You Sponsors!