iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpener

Started by Bruno of NH, November 22, 2021, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I ordered a cbn sharpener and setter .
Won't get it till some time after the new year.
Time to bring it in house. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

That will be money well spent👍🏻
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

It's made in Canada and fits my budget 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

PAmizerman

Best money I ever spent. Just wish I could have afforded it sooner
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

D6c

Quote from: Bruno of NH on November 22, 2021, 04:02:12 PM
I keep looking and trying to decide whether to order one.  What model did you decide on?

YellowHammer

Congratulations, it will turn sharpening into a non event.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

Quote from: D6c on November 23, 2021, 06:37:08 AM
Quote from: Bruno of NH on November 22, 2021, 04:02:12 PM
I keep looking and trying to decide whether to order one.  What model did you decide on?
Veil tools in QC 

Crossroads

I just ordered the Woodmizer auto grinder and auto setter. I forget the model numbers. My local guy that was doing my sharpening raised his prices and has been struggling to keep up for the last couple months. I figured, if I'm running the carbon steel blades, it would pay for itself in 6-7 months at the new price. The timing wasn't great for spending 5k, but it was time to make the move. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

fluidpowerpro

I just looked at the Veil sharpener on their web site. I'm no expert but thats the first I have seen where the CBN wheel is stationary and the blade moves up and down to grind. Is that unique to them? 
I'm also considering investing in a sharpener and from what I read, CBN is the way to go. The price of this one is easier to swallow compared to the other CBN's I have seen. 
Do you have experience with their sharpener or know someone that does? What made you choose it?
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

D6c

Doesn't seem to be much info about the Veil online.  I'd be interested in seeing a video of it working once you get it up and running.

Bruno of NH

There is some video of the unit running on u tube 
I stumbled across it and like how easy it was to set up and the space it takes up.
The other reason was it was cbn with a dry set up.
I'm very sensitive to oil now for some reason. I don't know if it's because of all the meds I'm on or what.
I know the wheels won't last as long dry.
I researched dry cbn and there are lots of things it's used on.
Cost is another issue it looks well built.
The Woodmizer set up is out of my budget at the moment. 
Things are going well , but I have other things to buy coming up as well.

barbender

I had to dig around and find the Viel on Youtube. That is a very interesting concept, I think it will work slick. Bruno, I think you will find how it gives those two seperate light kisses will do a very nice job. It's also a great idea, the way it is configure it doesn't look like it will take much more space than a bench grinder. Very cool, I can't wait until you get it!
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

That is interesting. Would love to see how the feed works mechanically. Dosen't seem to be terribly hard on the grind so maybe wheel life will be better than you expect.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

fluidpowerpro

With a CBN, a different wheel is required for each hook angle? Correct? 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Southside

Yes, the wheel matches the tooth profile. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

What's the price on one of those Viel machines?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 23, 2021, 09:17:50 PM
What's the price on one of those Viel machines?
$1,400.00 US + $135 shipping to my yard
The grinder is a baldor which is a good brand unit.

Quebecnewf

Just checked out the videos . Very neat idea. First time if seen that approach to sharpening . 

Most of their tools are first rate so this should be no exception . You will defiantly have to give us the details on how it performs . If I had not just got a " free to me " fully auto Dinasaw grinder I'm. Thinking I would be stopping in at their shop to check one of those out .

I wonder how hard it is to source different CBN stones . I run Kasco blades . 

Quebecnewf  

boonesyard

Quote from: Crossroads on November 23, 2021, 05:33:30 PM
I just ordered the Woodmizer auto grinder and auto setter. I forget the model numbers. My local guy that was doing my sharpening raised his prices and has been struggling to keep up for the last couple months. I figured, if I'm running the carbon steel blades, it would pay for itself in 6-7 months at the new price. The timing wasn't great for spending 5k, but it was time to make the move.
Crossroads, I ordered a BMS 250 and BMT 250 from Woodmizer on May 28th of this year, still not here. The setter is ready, but they can't get the sharpeners. Got an email yesterday said maybe in a couple weeks. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Jturning

Does anyone know if woodmizers 5 in cbn wheels will fit on the Viel sharpener?  I see they only offer 2 profiles.  It is hard to read the directions in French. And I have a bunch of 747s and want to get a low cost cbn sharpener.

Bruno of NH

I'm hoping that they do 
I'm going to try to get them to work.

Crossroads

Quote from: boonesyard on November 25, 2021, 07:56:50 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on November 23, 2021, 05:33:30 PM
Crossroads, I ordered a BMS 250 and BMT 250 from Woodmizer on May 28th of this year, still not here. The setter is ready, but they can't get the sharpeners. Got an email yesterday said maybe in a couple weeks.
Oh, that's not good news. I believe those are the same ones I ordered and was told 3 months. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Durf700

they are worth the wait..  I sharpened and set 20 bands in a few hours last month.  I enjoy doing it also..  not to mention the quality control!  if I do a bad job I can yell at myself...lol...  but no...  once you get them dialed in and know what to look for its pretty slick! 

I don't worry about changing out bands now a bit sooner than later.. I have the BMT 250 and BMS 250.  be sure to order an extra cbn wheel.  I ordered the 2 I use and had to wait a few months for them.  I like to have a spare on hand like with the belts and micro switches/solenoids. 

Crossroads

I ordered the T7 and 10° wheels, hopefully they'll show up with the machines. I've been saving back some blades that I suspect would possibly be rejected to practice on. 

Thank You Sponsors!