The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Bolt on drill start adapter for Stihl MS 440, 660, 880 and 090 chainsaws  (Read 1180 times)

Offline quadrider550

• Just a simple country boy.
    • Share Post
I want to get an idea of how many people out there would be interested in using a bolt on adapter (replaces stock flywheel cover) that allows you to start your Stihl MS 440 or larger chainsaw with any 18 - 20 volt cordless drill. I have developed a working prototype for my MS 660 that I can easily apply to the other large saws. Please reply yes if you think this is a good idea or no if you think it's a waste of time. Thanks.
Just a simple country boy...don't know much about much...except that it's better to work smarter not harder whenever possible.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Bolt on drill start adapter for Stihl MS 440, 660, 880 and 090 chainsaws
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 06:23:52 AM »
   I think it is a good idea. I have a couple of 440s and my wife has a small easy-start model. I always wondered why they did not make such for the bigger saws. Good luck with your endeavors.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline D6c

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 06:46:26 AM »
I've thought about doing something like that but never persued it as the two saws I have start pretty easily.  Of more use to me would be one for small Briggs and Stratton engines.

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 09:17:35 AM »
Yes, that would be handy for an 880!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • letís make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 09:20:09 AM »
I've thought about doing something like that but never persued it as the two saws I have start pretty easily.  Of more use to me would be one for small Briggs and Stratton engines.
When I raced go karts we used a a 12v starter motor with a one way clutch on a shaft with a 3/4 socket that fit the flywheel bolt. Never thought of using it for a chainsaw 🤔
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Offline grabber green

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 09:56:57 AM »
My take is, it sounds cool,but if you can't start a large saw with the starter rope you probably don't need to be using a large chainsaw. Once you get a saw started is when the real workout begins.  I don't want to discourage you from trying to market your invention though because you just might be able to sell a bunch of them.

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 10:27:14 AM »
My take is, it sounds cool,but if you can't start a large saw with the starter rope you probably don't need to be using a large chainsaw.
This!!!
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 10:30:02 AM »
 Since I got sick I cannot start my 376 xpg the first time in the morning, it takes both of us to get that or the 394 xp going. I haven't had any problems with running them for a couple hrs. I've been trying to get a quick starter with a drill for over a yr, how did you do it  8). tried turning a bowl with rubber strips inside to turn the starter side but it just striped to rubber off. I also tried this on the starter on the band mill couldn't pull that over first start of the day either.
Ed K

Online sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 11:52:52 AM »
It has been tried many times but somebody has yet to come up with a practical solution. It would need to engage the starter pawls and have an over running clutch to keep the drill from spinning at 9,000 rpm in the operators hands when the saw starts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Silverfoxfintry

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 04:26:12 PM »
This is an interesting idea.
I use something similar to start the 700cc motor on my vintage MG5 tractor.
I use a post-hole borer with an adaptor to replace the original starter handle.
It works well, but you have to be really well braced and hope the motor doesnít kick back.
Good luck with your idea.

Silverfox 

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 08:59:04 PM »
i used a socket on an impact batt. Dewalt tool and used it to start a log splitter motor.  it started and the socket got in a bind and almost took my arm and forehead off.  I would worry about liability if you marketed this.  
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline quadrider550

• Share Post
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 09:33:36 PM »
It has been tried many times but somebody has yet to come up with a practical solution. It would need to engage the starter pawls and have an over running clutch to keep the drill from spinning at 9,000 rpm in the operators hands when the saw starts.
My starter engages the flywheel only in the direction of engine rotation which allows the engine fire and spin faster than the starter without putting any rotational  force on the starter/drill/operator. 
Just a simple country boy...don't know much about much...except that it's better to work smarter not harder whenever possible.

Offline quadrider550

• Share Post
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 09:41:49 PM »
My take is, it sounds cool,but if you can't start a large saw with the starter rope you probably don't need to be using a large chainsaw. Once you get a saw started is when the real workout begins.  I don't want to discourage you from trying to market your invention though because you just might be able to sell a bunch of them.
It's not that I can't start my big saw, I can and have many times...I just don't like to and I don't think I'm alone in my feelings towards starting big bore saws. 

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 10:15:22 PM »
If you truly have something that good, then my advice would be to stop talking about it in public and go find a patent attorney.  You see big saws, Stihl has a start assist on smaller saws so someone thinks there is a market for such a device.

Best of luck with it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2021, 11:17:04 PM »
Itís been done before, in some form or fashion, whatís different than some of the electric starter conversion kits other have built?

I donít like starting a saw either, but with the higher horsepower units, itís unsafe to not have two hands on them at all times during the starting transient, and when they are running.  Positive physical control of the power head as well as the saw chain is crucial, and holding a 7 hp machine thatís designed to cut thing into pieces, quickly, with only one hand, even if on the ground, while starting it using a device that requires my second hand is not something I would do.

However, if the saw was temporarily captured in a stand or holder while started, then it would be safer.  At that point, two hands could be on the starter.  

From an engineering standpoint, an overrunning clutch on a small electric motor is the simple and standard way to do this, and I have started many internal combustion engines with an overrunning clutch on an electric drill or even a two handed electric starter.  

Very similar to the You Tube video except this person used a disengaging fixture instead of a clutch.

If the starter system was internal to the saw, such as the Easy Start, then that would be the ideal situation.

Just my thoughts.    

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  So donít burn the cookies.

Sawing is fun for the first couple hundred boards.

Online JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 11:22:33 PM »
Look at RC nitro helis, they're all started with electric starters. 12v motor with a hex shaft you poke in the top of the model and press a button.

The receiver end in the model is a bearing supported shaft that drives the engine crank via a sprag clutch, so you can leave the shaft in there after it starts and pull it out when you're ready. Google "Trex 700n starter" should give an idea.

I think it's a good idea for those with shoulder injuries/etc but for anyone who's capable of pulling a rope, no way. My guess is there'd be a few people out there really happy to see it become available but not a huge seller generally speaking. In a paralell universe where starters were the norm and the rope was the upgrade, I'd pay extra for the rope, to not carry another item around and worry about batteries etc.

Offline quadrider550

• Share Post
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 11:59:59 PM »
Itís been done before, in some form or fashion, whatís different than some of the electric starter conversion kits other have built?

I donít like starting a saw either, but with the higher horsepower units, itís unsafe to not have two hands on them at all times during the starting transient, and when they are running.  Positive physical control of the power head as well as the saw chain is crucial, and holding a 7 hp machine thatís designed to cut thing into pieces, quickly, with only one hand, even if on the ground, while starting it using a device that requires my second hand is not something I would do.

However, if the saw was temporarily captured in a stand or holder while started, then it would be safer.  At that point, two hands could be on the starter.  

From an engineering standpoint, an overrunning clutch on a small electric motor is the simple and standard way to do this, and I have started many internal combustion engines with an overrunning clutch on an electric drill or even a two handed electric starter.  

Very similar to the You Tube video except this person used a disengaging fixture instead of a clutch.

If the starter system was internal to the saw, such as the Easy Start, then that would be the ideal situation.

Just my thoughts.    
My starter is internal, not direct drive, and only engages one way so there is nothing to go flying when engine starts or try to spin the drill out of your hand and risk injury as the engine speed outruns the starter. I have been starting my MS660 with drill in left hand and right hand on the throttle dead cold with no choke or decompression used. Just hold throttle wide open until it fires (with chain brake on of course) and once started work throttle until RPM is stable. Once warm one quick spin of the drill fires it back up. The only thing is of course you need to bring a drill...but who doesn't have one of those these days. Thanks for your feedback. 

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 09:36:30 AM »
My biggest and hardest start is the first one of the day. After that itís all gravy. But I manage just the same.

Now, if a unit is down on compression then the e start will help immensely but then it REALLY needs other mechanical work also.

Why not just install a SMALL decomp valve for the first start of the day. Because I donít think that youíve elaborated as to when you have the most problems with your unit. Just something to think about.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Ventryjr

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Rusty Mill
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2021, 05:19:40 AM »
I never seen the need for one. Till one day I had a hard time starting my 661c.  *DanG near threw my back out yanking it over 20 some odd times before it fired.  Normally itís a 2 pull-start saw.  Iíd probably buy one now.  I always have a Milwaukee 18v impact gun in my truck.  
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2021, 08:07:50 AM »
It takes three hands to crank my stihl: one for holding the saw down, one to pull the starter rope and one operate the throttle.  but it is a heck of a cutting machine!
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
BOLT ON CHAINSAW DRILL START ADAPTER (REPLACES FLYWHEEL COVER) FOR BIG BORE SAWS

Started by quadrider550 on Chainsaws

17 Replies
Last post December 09, 2021, 10:28:58 PM
by quadrider550
xx
Wood Owl bits in Boring Machine(Beam Drill) w/adapter

Started by jacobcbass on Timber Framing/Log construction

0 Replies
Last post July 29, 2021, 10:05:36 AM
by jacobcbass
xx
Stihl 026 exhaust bolt..