iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Village OR Wood-Mizer meet up Sep 30th

Started by OlJarhead, August 09, 2022, 04:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Hey all!

I am planning a trip to Wood-Mizer in Wood Village (Portland) Oregon in September 30th.

I will be doing a Q&A session with the folks there for my viewers (anyone with questions please feel free to drop them in here or PM them to me so I can add them to my list) and a tour of the facility along with some sit down time with the good folks there.

After my meet with them I was thinking it would be fun to have a get together with others sawyers in the area (maybe a BBQ?) which I'd likely film some of as well.  Sort of a FF get together / Sawyers meet up to (might be fun to show some of the community we have here).

If interested please let me know!
Erik
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Crossroads

Interested, but I'll be in Alaska moose hunting that weekend. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Tristen

Question #1. When will customers actually be able to "find a local" sawyer. Right now when someone goes to Wood Mizer website, then "services" tab, then clicks on "find a local sawyer" the only way is to search by state. Some states are hundreds of miles long, and some states are very small. If customers could search for sawyers by zip code and then select "50 miles" from this location, they may find a sawyer across state lines is a lot closer than the north end of California or the South end of California. From my understanding this type of search has been in the works for a while, but when exactly is this going to happen? Question #2. For new sawyers it could be nice to have a data base of what type of blade is recommended to cut what wood. I know they give a general type on the website, but maybe a more exact examples. LT 40 with engine "x" and 10 degree blade cuts wood "y", a Lt70 uses a 7 degree blade to cut wood "q". Some kind of a pull down menu for each sawmill, each blade, and each wood. At least what Wood Mizer recommends for each. It would give new sawyers a starting point, from there they could experiment for themselves.

I know you saw my questions posted on Fb also, but i figured i would post here also,  Maybe it will spark some more questions on this post.   As always just trying to help.   Hope you have fun and I look forward to your Q&A with Wood Mizer. 
Interest; Wood mizer LT35 HD,   Husky chainsaws, Firewood, sustainable logging, lumber, Kubota compact tractors
"You are the first person to ever see the inside of that tree"

OlJarhead

Thanks!  I hadn't realized you were here!  Nice to see ya.

I've added yours to the list.  Have about 8 or so not but would like a few more!

Now, if anyone wants to do a meet up it would be fun!  Specially the guy who gave me the FF mug when I picked up my LT40 in early 2016!  You still around?

WV Sawmiller

Tristan,

Happy birthday if that is a lit candle I see by your name.

Eric,

Too far to come so don't look for me to come but thanks for the invite. :D

It would be nice if WM could upgrade the Find a Sawyer but please pass along my thanks for them even offering it. I have asked and so far WM is the only mill maker who even offer such a link up service. I think it is a great idea.

A suggestion you can pass along is to drill an extra hole or two in the front landing gear for us cheapskates who don't buy the fancy ones (Fine Adjust Outriggers). I often find when setting up on mobile jobs that the front gear starts off so low it falls in a dead spot and the jack handle won't reach a hole. In those cases I have to go back to the next landing gear and raise from there then when the front is raised a little I can use the front landing gear. (I know - I could just take it out an drill an extra hole or two myself and one of these days I may fix it but is is a design issue.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 10, 2022, 11:31:55 AM
Tristan,

Happy birthday if that is a lit candle I see by your name.

Eric,

Too far to come so don't look for me to come but thanks for the invite. :D

It would be nice if WM could upgrade the Find a Sawyer but please pass along my thanks for them even offering it. I have asked and so far WM is the only mill maker who even offer such a link up service. I think it is a great idea.

A suggestion you can pass along is to drill an extra hole or two in the front landing gear for us cheapskates who don't buy the fancy ones (Fine Adjust Outriggers). I often find when setting up on mobile jobs that the front gear starts off so low it falls in a dead spot and the jack handle won't reach a hole. In those cases I have to go back to the next landing gear and raise from there then when the front is raised a little I can use the front landing gear. (I know - I could just take it out an drill an extra hole or two myself and one of these days I may fix it but is is a design issue.)
I made that same suggestion in 2017 when I bought my mill, but it fell on deaf ears. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

OlJarhead

Never know ;)  It will be on video so there is that ;)

Crossroads

Speaking of side supports, a better cap would be cool. Mine have long since been lost and the side supports are full of sawdust, sometimes making it difficult to get the jack handle in far enough to make the move. Glad I won't have to worry about that anymore sometime in the future 😁 the new mill will have FAO

Magicman

FAO's will also gradually accumulate sawdust, etc. and you will need to use a water hose to clear them out.  There is a hole in the center of the foot.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Meh - screwing the thing the wrong way too far and letting it fall off clears out all of that sawdust just fine.  Now rolling around in the same pile of sawdust to line up the nut and rod so the FAO goes back together in one piece - that's not what we are talking about here and thread drift is a real problem so back to the OP's subject.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

OlJarhead

Quote from: Southside on August 11, 2022, 07:51:44 AM
Meh - screwing the thing the wrong way too far and letting it fall off ...
OK (I know I'm not supposed to quote but this one got me)...
I had this happen when moving the tongue over to align better with where the truck would easily back into it.  I cranked up the only FAO I have (up front) and then grabbed the tongue and lifted, pivoted and set it down in one movement.....only problem?  The foot was back where it was originally and the tongue hit the ground...I wasn't fast enough to realize what had happened and was too fast to stop it from happening (where is the knock on your head emoji?)...
SO, thankfully the mill was set to tow so didn't come sliding forward and the customer helped me get it back up on the foot .....I was not amused and questioned whether I really wanted to spend the $$$ for any more of them.

OlJarhead

OK LAST change!  I promise!

Due to some scheduling changes etc we've agreed to move the date to the 30th of September.  No changing it again.

Wood-Mizer will have their entire crew on hand so I'll get to talk to them all.

Should be fun and a meet up isn't required (not the purpose of the visit) but would be fun if anyone will be around.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Tristen on August 10, 2022, 09:16:22 AM
Question #1. When will customers actually be able to "find a local" sawyer. Right now when someone goes to Wood Mizer website, then "services" tab, then clicks on "find a local sawyer" the only way is to search by state. Some states are hundreds of miles long, and some states are very small. If customers could search for sawyers by zip code and then select "50 miles" from this location, they may find a sawyer across state lines is a lot closer than the north end of California or the South end of California. From my understanding this type of search has been in the works for a while, but when exactly is this going to happen? Question #2. For new sawyers it could be nice to have a data base of what type of blade is recommended to cut what wood. I know they give a general type on the website, but maybe a more exact examples. LT 40 with engine "x" and 10 degree blade cuts wood "y", a Lt70 uses a 7 degree blade to cut wood "q". Some kind of a pull down menu for each sawmill, each blade, and each wood. At least what Wood Mizer recommends for each. It would give new sawyers a starting point, from there they could experiment for themselves.

I know you saw my questions posted on Fb also, but i figured i would post here also,  Maybe it will spark some more questions on this post.   As always just trying to help.   Hope you have fun and I look forward to your Q&A with Wood Mizer.
your question #1
You can call Woodmizer Indianapolis, there is a phone option to locate a Sawyer, Choose that and get through to the person, she will take your ZIP Code and give you phone numbers of Sawyer's in a small radius. If you don't get enough phone numbers you can ask to get the numbers in the next larger radius.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

Okay, I checked and counted. In California there are 42 Pro-Sawyers listed on the WM Find a sawyer service. Their home city is listed in every case. I assume California has about the most listed or close to it. IMHO I don't see where 42 listings is unreasonable to search through as you can quickly scroll through the list of cities/towns to decide if they are reasonably close to the customer and ignore those too far away.

Yes, they could make it more detailed and specific but, remember, it is a free service to both the customer and the sawyer so please use caution. They are the only sawmill company I have found that even offer such a link up service and other than some good will, they make nothing from it. I am sure it costs something to operate and if it becomes a problem the simple solution is to just stop offering it. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

Just a reminder that this is this coming Friday for any interested. 

If you are thinking of coming pls let me know asap

OlJarhead

Crossroads

Too bad I'm scheduled for Friday, I would make the trip, always enjoy chewing the fat with Rob. 

Howdy

I remember seeing y'all picking up your equipment at Woodmizer and taking a few pictures of your joy.  Seems like there was a fella from Alaska also getting a new sawmill the same time.  Sharing a Forestry Forum mug was just a small way to continue the blessing that is the Forum ethos.  

I will try to be there Friday.
Howdy

OlJarhead

Ahha!  There ya are!  and thanks!  I still have that mug! :D

Was a fun day!  Moving from the SMLT10 to a big hydraulic LT40 was so exciting!  But then, it still is! hahaha

Kevin, we will meet up one of these days! lol Maybe drag Michael in too ;)

Anyone else going to be available for a Friday BS session?

Howdy

A gentle kiss of fresh breeze caressed the land as it grew warm from sunlight overcoming an early morning cloud cover fading away.  It promised to be a wonderful day.  

Wood-mizer hidden at the end of the road delighted the eye with pallets of mills awaiting their turn to discover the hidden beauty trapped within logs.  Hopeful clients were shopping. asking the questions every potential want-to-be sawyer hoped to hear.  The sales office warmly greeted and welcomed folks entering the gates of promise.  All was set to be a day of enlightenment.  

Except I was an hour late after battling a car that was reluctant to awaken from six months of slumber and missed meeting up.  Well it could have been a great time but any reason to visit Wood-Mizer is never a wasted trip.

Crossroads

I may not have made the meet up, but I've gotten my opportunity to chat with the wood village crew this week. First I had the drive side bearing start rumbling and ordered new bearings from Indy. Then Wednesday evening before I tore into it, I decided to call Portland and talk to James. To see if he had any time saving tricks or trap doors to look out for. He talked me into ordering the bearing assembly. Glad I did, the bearing hadn't failed, it lost it's fit on the shaft, so the shaft is toast. 
Limping through the day on Friday with a rumbling bearing, my hydraulics seemed a little slow. Once I shut off the engine and ran the hydraulics, it was clear that I was in need of a pump motor. Unfortunately, they are in back order and the inventory is listed at -46. Hopefully a set of brushes will keep me in business. 

OlJarhead

Crossroads

Got up early this morning and installed the new bearing assembly, that went smooth. Had a guy coming over at 8 to help hang some purling for the sawmill shed. Then jumped into the hydraulic pump motor. That also went smooth, so I'm happy to say this week is in the books with way to much $$ being spent on parts and overnight shipping. Since I have new bearings and seals, I'll have a buddy make me a new shaft and I'll build up a spare assembly. They are built like the trim saw bearing assemblies that I rebuilt at the CLT plant, only about half the size, so it should be pretty easy. 

Thank You Sponsors!