iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving a portable mill w/o a trailer

Started by jbetz, September 19, 2022, 06:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbetz

Hi all.  New member but have read quite a few posts and learned a lot about others' mill experiences.  I am looking for a hobby mill for my properties in Texas and CO.  Mostly will use wood for construction and some woodworking.  I would like to keep mill in TX for winter/spring and then bring to CO mtns for summer/fall.  I would set up to mill in a single location at both places and don't really need a trailer once setup.  Is it feasible to move a stationary setup twice a year or am I better off just getting a mill on a trailer?  I have a few utility trailers I could transport with but don't want to dedicate them to the mill.  I like the mill being slightly closer to the ground for loading logs as well.  I will mostly be milling SYP and cedar in TX and pine/spruce/fir/aspen in CO mtns.  I am trying to limit my budget to around $8.5K for mill so have been looking at Woodland Mill HM130 Max or maybe a WM LT 15 Start.  I do have some wide logs I can saw, but limits to my handling abilities.  I was hoping to mill some aspen to dry in my basement in CO this winter, but the cabin build has gone slowly so no rush for getting the mill.  WM says the Start will ship in 3 weeks now so that is good.  Would love to upgrade the LT15, but I also need some additional support equipment, so I hate to spend my full budget on just the mill.  Being able to upgrade to hydraulics one day would be nice, but I can always do that by reselling current unit and upgrading if I catch the bug for big logs.  I like the Cook's mills but they are like the LT15 in that they cost more than I am wanting to spend right now.  EZ is overbooked.  Norwood looks good, but not much cheaper than WM so probably would stick with WM.  Right now I am leaning towards either get the Woodland HM130max or LT15 start.  Obviously bigger is better for the engine, but it seems most hobby mills are getting by with 14 hp.  Any thoughts are appreciated in regards to a hobby mill for that price and moving mill between properties.

--John

rusticretreater

Most of the things depend on your hauling capabilities.  The head of a sawmill weighs a good amount and is bulky.  I would say that a mill head w/ one set of rails mounted on a pair of cross braced rail road ties would be good.  You lop the bottom corner off the tie to make a sled runner to winch the whole setup on a trailer.  You can probably do the same thing with the rest of the rail run, but the mill head should be in its own piece to avoid bending things.  If you keep the rail run in one piece, you save the assembly time and only need to level the rails when putting in a new location.

Of course a mill on a trailer is much easier to deal with.  I bought an HM 130max with lap siding attachment, cant hook, blade sharpener, toe board, spare parts kit and 10 blades for under $8k.  So expanding the budget to $9k might get you the trailer as well.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

LogPup

This how I move mine.  It's the only picture I got.  Just put the section with the mill head on.

David

Daburner87

I too have the HM130Max Woodlander XL package which is their biggest package.  It's pretty light overall and my Scion XB moves it around....  My Scion XB has a 1000lb tow capacity.  I believe the mill is close to 2000lbs?  I can't recall the exact weight spec, but I definitely recommend it for your situation.  The extra $1500 or so for the trailer is worth it?   I can see ways to move the mill if it isn't portable, but you still need a trailer and multiple jacks to lift it up onto the trailer, unless you have a crane or a forklift....

Once you have the HM130Max with trailer you'll see how easy it is to move around.  I say just spend the extra money up front and save yourself a major headache down the road.  I'd also pass on the ramp/winch kit and make your own for less.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

KenMac

If you already have trailers capable of hauling a mill that is what I'd use. You can then use the left over space for all of the other items you will inevitably be moving with you each season. A cargo or van type trailer would be nice for that purpose.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

bigblockyeti

I have a WM LX55 that's under 1500lbs but I'm not sure by how much after adding an extension for a total of 20' long.  I try not too move it but if I have to. I'll get one end on the trailer with the head at the opposite end then drag ~7-8' onto the trailer then pull the head up the rails and when it reaches the high end, it will tip level.  Needless to say, it needs to be locked to the rails initially and then again when at the top to drag it the rest of the way on the trailer.

customsawyer

You could always hire a mill in each area to get you started. I know there is a few mills close to your place in CO. as I grew up in Monte Vista. One of WDH's ole LT15 is just south of Alamosa.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nebraska

Ez Boardwalks trailer system is possibly what you are looking for.  The tongue and axles come off for milling, back on for towing. On and off isn't that difficult.  The mill frame is the trailer frame. They are very rugged and reliable. The only drawback is the wait time on a new mill.  They were 4 months out in 2018 when mine was new. Now it's over a year, still worth the wait though.  Just my 2 cents worth....

jbetz

Thanks for the input.  I was thinking along these same lines and thanks for the pic!  I could use a winch on my utility trailer to pull mill up if mounted on some skids might be able to get more mill instead of trailer.  But I also might be able to utilize the extra mobility of a trailer until I get a covered mill shed built in both places.  I have a 20' utility trailer for my 26 Hp tractor with brakes which seems like a better option for moving mill the 900 miles one way versus the mill trailers but I guess with a good spare the mill trailers should be fine pulling that distance?  Anyone pull a Woodlander that distance?  

I do have forks for my tractor which will lift 1400 lbs and the bigger logs on my CO property I drag and will use gravity to load onto log feeder.  I would really prefer the LT-15 or really the LT-15 Wide but can't justify spending that much with the wood/time I have available right now.  I also need to get a log skidder for my tractor b/c a lot of my logs are hard to reach with some slope.  Can't saw without the logs.  I am leaning towards the HM130Max with trailer and extension.  If I catch the bug, then I can upgrade down the road once I have passed the initial learning curve.  

How do you like the woodland mills lap siding attachment?  I have interest down the road, but have seen some fabricated jigs on youtube I might try instead until I see how much I might use.  First project is to get through some aspen that got blown down this spring...hoping to make interior boards for the house...or the garage.  

Thanks for good tips. 

jbetz

Quote from: customsawyer on September 20, 2022, 05:51:14 AM
You could always hire a mill in each area to get you started. I know there is a few mills close to your place in CO. as I grew up in Monte Vista. One of WDH's ole LT15 is just south of Alamosa.
I really want to have my own mill to have fun with but am not opposed to hiring for more serious stuff.  I know 1 sawyer in the Alamosa area, but he is also a wildland firefighter so he has been out of town until around December the last few years and is on a fire now.  My contractor is working on our timber-frame hybrid cabin with framing scheduled to start next week but he has been having issues extending his larger mill for cutting the beams for the house.  If you have some information on mills close to Alamosa then that could be very helpful.  WM has a sawyer list and there is a contact listed in Trinidad, CO I might reach out to if my contractor doesn't have his mill operating when we go up there next week.  He lives south of Alamosa as well, so your contact is much closer to where the logs are currently.  We are starting to feel the pressure of winter closing in and need to get dried in ASAP, especially since my cabin is at 9750' elevation, but we want the timber-frame look so I am not willing to omit the beams.  Send me a message with contact info when you can.
Thanks!  John

jbetz

Quote from: Nebraska on September 20, 2022, 07:31:17 AM
Ez Boardwalks trailer system is possibly what you are looking for.  The tongue and axles come off for milling, back on for towing. On and off isn't that difficult.  The mill frame is the trailer frame. They are very rugged and reliable. The only drawback is the wait time on a new mill.  They were 4 months out in 2018 when mine was new. Now it's over a year, still worth the wait though.  Just my 2 cents worth....
I looked at the EZ Boardwalk but didn't read about the trailer...I like that option.  Once I saw they weren't taking orders until April 23', I kinda ruled them out.  I will have to take another look, but not sure I have the patience to wait that long.

jbetz

Quote from: bigblockyeti on September 19, 2022, 10:51:16 PM
I have a WM LX55 that's under 1500lbs but I'm not sure by how much after adding an extension for a total of 20' long.  I try not too move it but if I have to. I'll get one end on the trailer with the head at the opposite end then drag ~7-8' onto the trailer then pull the head up the rails and when it reaches the high end, it will tip level.  Needless to say, it needs to be locked to the rails initially and then again when at the top to drag it the rest of the way on the trailer.
So your mill setup is 20' which allows you to cut 17'5"?  How do you like the LX55?  I looked at this mill too, but I have some pretty wide logs so was leaning towards the HM130max to take advantage of the wider cut.  I appreciate the description of moving your mill.  That is what I would do as well and might be as good of an option as a trailer...I guess I could always add a trailer later or build one.

jbetz

Just got a reply from Cook's Saw...they are 75 weeks out for new orders (MP-32).  EZ and Cooks look great, but that wait time seems like a deal breaker.  Plus only the JR really fits my current budget.  Maybe for my next mill I will get something more heavy duty that can accommodate hydraulics.  WM cheap end saws are now saying ships in 3 weeks.

So I am still at the LT15 Start with a bed extension for 17'8" cut length and can cut 26" log 14 Hp that I move twice a year on my 20' utility trailer or the HM130Max on a trailer with extension to cut 16'11" length, 30" wide logs and also has 14 Hp engine.  Looks like very similar mills, just do I want the convenience and hassle of the trailer mounted unit.  I guess I could always get the WM Go trailer later if I wanted it trailer mounted.  Can you add power feed and/or hydraulics to LT15 Start?  No shown as options so I am assuming no...but they do have the power feed cover listed in accessories.  Other advantages of the LT15 Start except for orange paint?  (I am not sure I can jump to the LT15 at $10,295...then I start looking at LT15 wide for another $2K. ::))  Frame for the LT15Start looks to be a step up from the HM130Max, but the trailer frame combination looks good on the 130 Woodlander Max and have seen a lot of large logs put on the Woodland Mills in this forum.  The 130 Max is probably as much mill as I need right now, just wondering if I should spend trailer money on more mill.  Probably a win-win either way.

Anyone traveled long road distances with a lower end mill like these mounted on a trailer?  Can you go 75 mph with one of these trailers?  They are sold for off-road use only, but come with equipment to get it licensed which would be easy to get...but can it handle highway speeds?

jbetz

Quote from: Nebraska on September 20, 2022, 07:31:17 AM
Took a closer look and the EZ JR looks real good.  13 Hp Honda, can get a 22' cut length, removable axles package, log turner, etc. for the same price range I am looking.  Seems like a great unit that would fit my needs, but right now website says April 2023 for delivery.  Might be worth the wait...I won't be sawing much in the CO mtns this season anyway.  Definitely worth thinking about.

bigblockyeti

Quote from: jbetz on September 20, 2022, 11:21:09 AM
Quote from: bigblockyeti on September 19, 2022, 10:51:16 PM
I have a WM LX55 that's under 1500lbs but I'm not sure by how much after adding an extension for a total of 20' long.  I try not too move it but if I have to. I'll get one end on the trailer with the head at the opposite end then drag ~7-8' onto the trailer then pull the head up the rails and when it reaches the high end, it will tip level.  Needless to say, it needs to be locked to the rails initially and then again when at the top to drag it the rest of the way on the trailer.
So your mill setup is 20' which allows you to cut 17'5"?  How do you like the LX55?  I looked at this mill too, but I have some pretty wide logs so was leaning towards the HM130max to take advantage of the wider cut.  I appreciate the description of moving your mill.  That is what I would do as well and might be as good of an option as a trailer...I guess I could always add a trailer later or build one.
I like the LX55 a lot, it will handle a Ø26" log and states a 22" max with cut but will actually do 24" if you keep it laser straight and no more than 2" thick.  The 14hp engine has no problem with that with in hardwood.  The LT15 will be built more robust everywhere as the rails can be the frame of a trailer, the LX55 will need additional rails under it to be mobile.  The price was more attractive at ~$4800 when I bought mine but steel has dropped 30% in the past year yet everything has gotten more expensive (executive yacht fuel?).  I do wish the engine had a lighting coil for charging and potential future electric start should I so desire but adding lighting or a 12V electric blower would be my primary focus for 12V power like the HM130max has.  I'm having some powder coating failure on a few parts (it's always tarped when not in use) so WM will get the chance to honor their warranty I hope is legit.  

Thank You Sponsors!