iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM BMS250 sharpener question

Started by D6c, September 23, 2022, 06:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

So I've got my new BMS250 sharpener, which I'm just getting set up, and I get to looking at how the coolant tray is built.
My impression of the design comes in at "what were they thinking?"

I notice there's no drain plug in the tray so I'm thinking to clean it out you just pull the tray out and dump it.
Nope...It's designed so you would have to disassemble and remove all the screws, sprockets and chain mechanism that raises and lowers the blade height.  The back of the coolant tray hits this mechanism and stops the tray coming out.  You could pull the coolant tube off the grinding wheel and pump the coolant out but it's still going to leave 1/2 - 3/4" of coolant in the bottom.
The cord and hose for the coolant pump looks like it will clear the back of the tray but will be kind of a pain to get the tray past them.

Anyone else think this is kind of a dumb design?

terrifictimbersllc

..... slow down... :D :D....Use it a while before you think of taking the machine apart or drilling holes in the tray you'll regret that.

I've been using mine for eight years there's no reason to completely clean out the tray. Once you lift the pump out onto the black part of the chassis and take a magnet and rake out all the filings. The oil that's left is free of filings, there's no reason to change it in my opinion but if you wanted to you could scoop it out with a plastic container.

It is  is a fine machine that I don't think of  as needing modifications. I use the previous model  also, the BMS 250 is awesome.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

You will find after some use that you'll refill the oil frequently enough that changing the oil isn't necessary.  

It is a great machine but tends to be a slobbery mess at times.  Oil leaves on the blades, it drips at the guide wheels and cleaning the magnets of filings uses some oil.  

Many of us have devised various wipers, covers and drip trays.  I use a plastic sand toy shovel and a plastic putty knife to break the filings dam on the magnets that sometimes keeps the pump from pumping oil.  When I clean the magnets, I put the sludge on a paint roller tray to drain and recover the oil.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Crossroads

I ordered a pack of domino sized magnets from Amazon and have them stuck all over the inside of mine. I clean them before each start up as the oil has had a chance to drain off of them. I also have the bottom of the pan lined with sheet magnets (they're a bit messy to clean, but don't do it often). All the extra magnets helps lengthen the cleaning intervals of the magnets around the pump. Your going to like having control of this part of the process.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Percy

I take the pump out of the tray unhooking the oil delivery line and twist the blade raising handle all the way to the top. Many turns. I have a monsterous left fore arm 🤣🤣🤣. Once that is done, you can pull out the whole tray and dump the crud out of it. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

D6c

Quote from: Percy on September 24, 2022, 02:34:48 PM
I take the pump out of the tray unhooking the oil delivery line and twist the blade raising handle all the way to the top. Many turns. I have a monsterous left fore arm 🤣🤣🤣. Once that is done, you can pull out the whole tray and dump the crud out of it.
Didn't think about the blade adjustment being able to go up that far.  That will make it easier should I want to clean it out completely.

terrifictimbersllc

Raising the mechanism in that way to get the tray out never occurred to me.

D6C Apologize if I sounded critical of your post. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

D6c

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on September 24, 2022, 03:58:53 PM
Raising the mechanism in that way to get the tray out never occurred to me.

D6C Apologize if I sounded critical of your post.
No worries.... I should have figured that out 

Thank You Sponsors!