iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log master lm4

Started by cherish, June 08, 2014, 08:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cherish

still have not found a mill. does any one have input on how good these mills are
1997 dodge 1ton     14ft pj dump trailer   2012 cat 259b 3 skid loader  2012 299c skid steer, log master saw mill lm4, dyna sc16 firewood processor, cat 518 grapple skidder

drobertson

I thought this company was in financial trouble, at one time they were good mills, as most are, there are plenty of options, with the four post design,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dgdrls

delvis

Cherish,  I know something about owning a mill from a company that is no longer around.  I bought what I believe to be one of the last 2 hydraulic sawmills manufactured by Timber Harvester before they declared bankruptcy.  Of course, I didn't know they were going to do that at the time, and it was incredibly discouraging to realize the 1-800 phone number was disconnected and the website was suddenly gone, etc..

The problem with buying a mill from a manufacturer that is no longer around, is there is no one at the factory or a dealership to help you with any technical problems that may arise specific to that brand of mill.  The 5 year warranty I got with my mill was useless less than 3 months after I bought it because the company was no longer there to honor it.  Point being, there was no way to get replacement parts specific to that mill if I needed them.  We had to come up with alternatives and make them work.

If you're mechanically inclined and don't mind coming up with your own solutions to problems that may arise, buying a used Log Master may be the way to go.  From what I remember when I was researching mills they look like they were incredibly rugged built.  They even had a couple of models with hydraulically driven bandwheels instead of belts. 

Keep shopping and you'll find the right mill for you.  It may even find you.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

ladylake

If you find a used one at a good price great as I think they use a lot of off the shelf parts as does my TK B20.. About the only thing on my B20 that I couldn't find easy would be the computer setworks control box and they sell aftermarket setworks also.   I like my TK but I'm not married to them at all.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

boscojmb

My LM-4 was delivered last June. I can't be happier with it. Every thing works just like it should and it sure is faster than my old manual mill.
My personal opinion is if you can find one that is reasonably priced, grab it while you can. They are not making any more.
Everything on the LM-4 is an off the shelf component, or was fabricated with basic tools in their shop.
After they shut down the manufacturing plant, the folks from Logmaster built a smaller shop nearby to continue running their re-sharp program, sell blades and other wear items.
I called them and placed an order with them about 2 weeks ago, 3 days later I had my order. Still great service.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

ladylake

Too bad they went under, maybe too much mill for the money did them in.   As with my TK it's really nice when most everything is off the shelf.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beenthere

Are not WM parts "off their shelf" ?  Or is something else implied? Just curious..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

boscojmb

Quote from: ladylake on June 09, 2014, 06:18:09 PM

Too bad they went under, maybe too much mill for the money did them in.

I agree. I picked the Logmaster LM-4 because, in my opinion, it was underpriced.

The other possible factor to Logmaster stopping production is 2 tragic accidents that where beyond their control.
Logmaster was located on US Hwy 259. Hwy 259 is 200+ miles long with all but a 6 miles having a left hand turn lane. Logmaster was located in this 6 mile stretch without a turning lane.
     A few years ago an employee was making a left hand turn into the Logmaster parking lot when he was rearended by a speeding semi. His 7 year old son was killed in the accident.
     The owners petitioned the state and did every thing the could to get a left hand turn lane, to no avail.
Two years later in 2012 two employees where making a left hand turn into the parking lot when they where rear ended by another semi. One employee was killed and the other was left with lifelong injuries.
     It is a very tragic story. I don't know if the owners closed down because they where facing legal action, or if they just didn't want to feel responsable for another tragic accident, but I suspect that this was a major factor in deciding to close the manufacturing facility.
I do know that they will still take my calls even on a Sunday.
My Logmaster is a great mill built by great people.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

cherish

yes my dad found a used one and bought it it should be here in a couple days. but as far as i know they still sell parts but no longer build mills.
1997 dodge 1ton     14ft pj dump trailer   2012 cat 259b 3 skid loader  2012 299c skid steer, log master saw mill lm4, dyna sc16 firewood processor, cat 518 grapple skidder

5quarter

BT...I think Steve was implying that it's handy that both LM and TK Parts can be purchased locally. Hope this helps you out.

Cherish...Good for your Dad! The LM-4 is an impressive mill. Hope you guys have great fun with it. post a few snapshots when you have a chance.

Boscojmb...Thanks for the info on the owners. Glad to here they're working and still taking calls, even though they're not building mills anymore.  8)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!