iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made a simple Work bench

Started by Freedom6178, December 28, 2014, 03:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freedom6178

I finally decided to made a new work bench for my basement. This is the first workbench I've ever built. I used 2x3's, 2x4's and 2x6's for the frame 3 1/2" screws and a sheet of 3/4" maple ply for the top and lower shelf. The bottom is held on with 2" deck screws. The top I used my KREG jig and screws. Any suggestions for a finish for the top?

I drew these up over a few days of looking at other ones online.  :P

Here are all the cut frame parts for the top and legs.

The bottom frame

The frame is started

I had to "extend" my table saws width to cut the plywood. Worked OK I had my GF as a helper.

Here I have the top cut and just sitting on the frame also the lower frame is installed. I do plan to install a vice in the future.

I routed the edges to help keep from tear out if i drag something (like my arm) across that edge. You can see there is a 2" lip on the front and sides for clamping.

I took the 4'x8' sheet and cut the top 30". I used the remainder for the bottom shelf. I used the 8" paint cans for the height of the bottom shelf its a good height to sweep under and still plenty of room for storage. I waited to attach that front 2x4 piece until i had the bottom shelf fitted. I didn't want to loose width so i cut the back corners to fit around the leg.

These are the pocket holes from the KREG jig. I had to monkey around with the settings but it worked out great.

The bottom shelf attached with regular deck screws.

Here is the finished product. You can see i used a 2x6 for a back board so tools cant roll off the back. I plan to attach some kind of inline outlet power strip to it or something like that. I may cut out spots in that 2x6 lower front piece for regular outlets and put a cord on it.

Thanks for following along with this build hope you enjoyed it.

------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

POSTON WIDEHEAD

PRETTY NICE! That bench will work for ya, I really like the shelf under it. Thanks for all the pics.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

QuoteAny suggestions for a finish for the top?

I'd put a piece of hard masonite on the top as a sacrificial layer that can be replaced as wear and tear from use takes place over the years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

That is a very nice build.  I personally like a coat of sanding sealer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AK Newbie

Nicely done.  I like a clear or natural color deck stain on my bench top and legs.  Gives it a finished look and some moisture protection.
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

WDH

I agree with BT that a 1/4" sheet of masonite hardboard would be the best "finish" for the top. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I have Formica on my work bench tops, but your entire unit really needs sealing which is why I suggested sanding sealer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My work bench??? I didn't seal it or put any kind of board on it.  It has dents and dings in it, paint splater on it, holes drilled in it, chisel gouges.......people think I'm a craftsman.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

coalsmok

That's a nice bench.
I never put a finish on my bench, just put it together and started using it. To be honest I don't think any finish I put on would have stayed. It kinda sounds like my bench is like Postons, well used.

SPIKER

I do mine very similar I have posts on TBN detailing it (in projects & know many people here also visit there.)   I have been using Melamine for tops & shelves now for a while as it is cheap enough and hold sup well enough.   On the last one I didn't bother to finish too much of it as it is a barn bench.   The only thing I would say is to add a diagonal 2x4 or 1x4 across the back from top corner to bottom leg to prevent racking.   I add those to all mine and have never had an issue shoving one around.   

I'll add some links to some of the threads there as there are some REALLY good designs for benches there.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/276292-lets-see-your-workbench.html?highlight=bench

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/239765-how-build-workbench-pole-barn.html?highlight=bench

their search eng is no where as good as here but there are tons of bench projects.   My last one was a built in using the 2x6 isolated wall/room as one side and attached to the wall and painted.   I added pics on that photo bucket place but didn't want to waste FF server space...   

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Freedom6178

:new_year: I want to Thank You all for your reply's and suggestions.. Still haven't put a finish on it so it probably wont get one :D I like the look of the maple so it don't think it will get any top material maybe after its beat up enough i'll start adding one  ;) . My floor isn't exactly flat  ::) that's kinda why i didn't add the rear/side braces (at least until i get it where its going to stay)
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

lowpolyjoe

Great build!

I like the 2x6 at the back - great idea.  The overhang at the front really comes in handy.  I did the same on my build a while back and I use it all the time for clamping :).   I also used the KregJig.  Worked pretty well although i did have the screws poking slightly through the other side of the target panel in some cases.

I made my work surface out of 3/4" MDF for flatness, then I skinned it with Masonite as others have suggested.  That was probably a good move because now almost 2 years later, the Masonite is a bit of a mess and eventually i'll probably replace it.  A related note about sealing the surface... I did not seal the Masonite (or the MDF) and on one instance when I was sharpening a new set of chisels with my waterstones I got a ton of water on the bench and the Masonite buckled REALLY bad.   To my surprise, it returned to form after it dried out.  If I reskin the surface I will probably throw a few coats of Zinser's sanding sealer on the new Masonite. 

The suggestions of Formica or Melamine also seem like a good plan

If your garage floor is uneven and you want to level your bench, you could consider this tip I got from a woodworking magazine (I forget which one).   Flip your bench over and predrill for a large lag screw in each 'foot' post.  Screw each screw in almost all the way, leaving maybe 1/2" exposed for adjustment.  Put the bench where desired, it will now rest on the head of the lag screws.  You can then independently adjust the height of each foot post with a wrench while you reference a level on the benchtop.  I wasn't fully convinced this would be sturdy/stable, but I've had no problems with my setup so far.

good luck with the bench!

caveman

I second the lag bolt in the bottom of each leg tip.  I did that with my tables that surround my table saws at home and school.  We built the table at school like a core lock box and it has a bunch of legs and the top is covered with formica.  Anyway, you can set it up dead flat/level even with variations in the floor.  Yours looks a lot better than my first work bench or any I have made since.  You may find that a vise or two may be handy.
Caveman
Caveman

LaneC

That is some nice work. Let us know what type of vice and how the installation of that goes. Thanks for sharing.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Freedom6178

------Freedom6178------

George S. Patton

lowpolyjoe

I had a metal bench vise similar to the one you bought, but I built a DIY woodworker vise this past year and I've been very happy to have both.  They are very different in my opinion :)

A good woodworking vise is very expensive.  That one you linked to is the cheapest I've seen.  I wonder how well it works... please post your impressions if you pick one up.

Here is a thread about my DIY vise.  It's ugly but it has served me pretty well so far:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,71553.msg1077015.html#msg1077015

Good luck!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

I do not believe that is a wood working vise.  They usually are designed to have wooden jaws. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Freedom6178

WDH no the one I bought isn't a wood working vise more of a shop vice to hold my mower blades while sharpening. The second link is a cheap Woodworking vise :-\
------Freedom6178------

George S. Patton

Phorester

Very nice homeowner bench.  A few years after building mine when I resurfaced it I added an extended lip as you did for clamping. One of those "why-didn't-I-think-of-that-before" moments.  Really handy.

I'd suggest adding another 3/4" piece of plywood over the first one, then any additional top you'd want. You'll find that with hammering, etc, a thicker top will be much more sturdy and sound deadening.

The top for my utility workbench is two pieces of 3/4" plywood topped by oak flooring boards, so it looks like a piece of flooring. The overhang for clamping is from the front flooring board hanging over about 1", so it's only 3/4" thick, not the full 6" thick of the entire top counting the front 2" x 4" facing board,  to make for easier clamping. My "finish" is all the oil, paint splatters, WD-40 overspray, paint thinners, spilled coffee and beer, God knows what else, steadily added to over the years.  It's a utility workbench, and I'm not concerned with how it looks.  (I do keep my woodworking bench in a cleaner condition).

I also like the lag bolts in the bottom of the legs for floor adjustment.  My utility bench is bolted to the wall so I don't need leg adjustments there, but I put them in the legs on my woodworking bench which sits in the middle of the floor.  Very nice for getting a level non-wobbling bench on an uneven floor.

Phorester

Nice vise, by the way.  Mount it like this:

This way you can clamp a long workpiece vertically and allow it to hang over the front of the bench.  Many people mount it too far back on the bench to allow this, as I used to myself.

Swatson

Quote from: Phorester on January 18, 2015, 11:58:06 AM

Nice vise, by the way.  Mount it like this:

This way you can clamp a long workpiece vertically and allow it to hang over the front of the bench.  Many people mount it too far back on the bench to allow this, as I used to myself.

You couldn't have posted this a week ago?  :(  ;D ;D I guess a few extra holes in my table wont hurt nothing. 
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Phorester

Oops......... ;D

Drill those extra holes out, glue a dowel in, you'll never know they were there!

Thank You Sponsors!