Predator

Started by garyfg, November 07, 2015, 08:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyfg

Anyone tried the 22 hp Preadtor engine for a replacement

Kingmt

No but I've been eye-balling it.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Kbeitz

I'm thinking parts might be  a problem...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dgdrls

Not the 22 HP but I have a 6HP that re-powered a snowblower.
Runs fine with 3 years of service so far. 
Its no Honda for sure.

Dan

bkaimwood

I have an older 17 hp...like mentioned, no Honda, but works fine...was a bit lean when I first got it new, but most of today's garbage is, due to emissions... Easily remedied. I wouldn't worry too much about parts, they are cheap enough to just buy another one when that one does Peter out...
bk

MikeZ

garyfg-I ordered one and have it sitting in shed, just haven't taken time to put it on yet. Have some other mods to do at same time. Currently running the 13 hp and have been pretty happy, esp after switching to 97 oct gas.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

redprospector

I bought the 13 hp. Predator when the Honda on my little log loader crapped out. I'm a big advocate of buying American made products, but what I've found is that most small gasoline engines are made in China now.  :( Even Honda is having (at least some of) their engines made in China. Be careful when you say that the Predator is no Honda. It was the engine Harbor Freight sold before they named it Predator, but the 6.5 hp. they sold then I used some parts off of the Honda 6.5 that I had cratered. Direct replacement.

All that aside, I have no real complaints about the Predator on my log loader.
Well, you may have to replace the plastic fuel line with a real fuel line.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

deadfall

Are the Honda Formula 1 engines actually Predators from HF?  It's looking that way at McLaren. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Kingmt

I've been using the Honda clones for years. They are great engines. I buy the clone parts when I can buy it is hard to keep track of a dealer so I end up going to the Honda dealer for parts.

Ox

I have the Predator 13hp on my mill.  Couldn't be happier.  They all have good reviews, too.  I think it's a bit more than 13hp though, because the Honda 13hp is 390cc and this Predator 13hp is 420cc.  Might be an emissions thing, I don't know.  But it certainly feels stronger than 13hp.  For the money it can't be beat.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Gearbox

$699 and a 20 % off $ 560 is even a better price . Thats what is going in my 500 bobcat when the old kohler dies . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

garyfg

I don't thlnk you can get the 20% off on the predator. You might want to check but at 699 it's close to a third of a kohler

Ox

The 20% off will work with the bare engines, just not equipment or tools with engines already mounted.  It also won't work with the sawmill or compressors.  Unless something has changed in the last 6 months.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kingmt

It didn't work on the web site when I tried it a few weeks ago.

ETA: Just tried it again & it doesn't work 24257318 20℅ off. After reading the coupon it started it can't be used with Predator.

coxy

Quote from: Ox on November 08, 2015, 11:07:06 AM
I have the Predator 13hp on my mill.  Couldn't be happier.  They all have good reviews, too.  I think it's a bit more than 13hp though, because the Honda 13hp is 390cc and this Predator 13hp is 420cc.  Might be an emissions thing, I don't know.  But it certainly feels stronger than 13hp.  For the money it can't be beat.
I have one on awalk behind concrete saw they are 14. something hp all the rewind parts are the same carb, valves,rocker arms,  I only paid 299 for mine 4 years ago    one other thing the gas tank vent goes in the back side of the carb and when the tank vents it will fill the crank case full of gas I had a lot of trouble with it then finely took the vent line off the tank and never had trouble after that

Kingmt

Quote from: coxy on November 11, 2015, 11:19:39 AMone other thing the gas tank vent goes in the back side of the carb and when the tank vents it will fill the crank case full of gas I had a lot of trouble with it then finely took the vent line off the tank and never had trouble after that
I've never had that problem. Vacuum should keep that from happing. However that line roots fast.

coxy

even with the line off the tank that little nipple that sticks out will shoot gas 2-3in out of it when it vents don't under stand it   showed it to a few small eng guys and they don't under stand it  :-\

Gearbox

coxy are you running corn gas alcohol boils at 170 degrees you may be getting that hot in the summer . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

hunz

Quote from: MikeZ on November 07, 2015, 12:24:33 PM
garyfg-Currently running the 13 hp and have been pretty happy, esp after switching to 97 oct gas.

Isn't 97 octane like jet fuel?
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Kingmt

It's local pump gas but I've never found any 97 around here that wasn't lower then the 87. Must be old gas in the tanks.

Gearbox

You guys are right I looked at a flyer and the 20% won't work on predator . I will try anyway with collage kids on the till at the store it may fly . Gearbox

Kingmt

I had the girl try it for me today & the system kicks it back so no dice. She said it worked a few weeks ago. I have my doubts & believe it has probably been longer. I wanted one myself but I just have a hard time turning lose of $700 when I still have a working motor. It does fine until I get to about max capasity on my mill or try to go just a little to fast.

Thank You Sponsors!