iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Dimensions Sawmill??????

Started by lawnsbylane, January 06, 2016, 07:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnsbylane

Lane here been thinking and looking at the mobile dimensions sawmill and was wanting to talk to somebody with one.  If anybody up somewhere has one I would like to chat with ya and see how it does with hardwoods. Also I normally work by myself and curious was this a good one mill operation looks like is would be. Thanks

starmac

I have never run one, but always thought they were one of the best mills for a one man show.
There are several members that have them, and will be along directly. From what I understand, is that for demensional lumber they are the berries.
A mill up here had one that they cit their three sided logs on for cabin kits, it was the berries for that use.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

DanG

I have an MD 128 sawmill which I bought used about this time in 2002.  It cuts hardwoods just fine, but is not the greatest for grade sawing.  If you're not into that, I recommend it highly, especially for a one-man operation.  I'll try to answer any other questions you may have.  Welcome to the forum.  ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jdtuttle

I've been looking at the MD 128 with 3 phase motors & would set up stationary. If anyone has one I would like to here your opinion on it.
Jim
Have a great day

DanG

I don't know of anyone here who has an electric MD, but I have heard that they are a real whizz-bang mill.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

lawnsbylane

Dan when you say grade lumber do you mean from one end to another is not accurate or what? thanks

DanG

No, the MD is quite accurate.  Grade sawing is a method of sawing where you keep turning the cant to get the best board from whatever is left.  On the MD, you don't turn the log at all so you pretty much rely on your judgement to predict what you will find.  It is designed to cut dimension lumber, hence the name.

oakiemac

I grade saw with mine all the time but its not ideal. Instead of turning the log you move the saw around the log. Quarter sawing is where the  MD and swing blade mills excel. Its actually easier for me to quarter saw a big log then plain saw it.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

4x4American

They are a great production mochine.  They will keep the tail man running.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!