iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HM 126 up and running!

Started by woodcat47, April 30, 2016, 10:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodcat47

Got my mill a few weeks ago and after two weeks of heavy rains, finally got to assemble everything. I had no trouble at all with the assembly. The instructions were very well written and the parts all fit together very nicely without putting up a fight.

Initial firing up of the motor was quick and I was sawing the first cedar log in minutes. Since then, I have cut 4 cedar logs for a friend's deck cover project [which I am building]. Since I am a deck builder and the owner of the company, my time on the mill has been limited and the rains have been consistently getting in the way. Next big milling job is coming up soon though.

Very happy with the mill and the people who run things at Woodland Mills are very nice and easy to work with. I highly recommend them for anyone wanting a quality mill at a reasonable price. The fit and finish of everything in the package is fantastic.

Cutting went very smooth with no issues until I hit my first nail. Luckily I ordered 10 blades. I got two extra track sections so I could cut up to 22'. My buddy's beams are a bit under 22' so I knew that was the magic number. When I get the trailer built for it, I will add another track so it will cut up to 28'. Goal is to build my own log home someday.

Next up on the mill will be a small Bois D'arc tree limb to be cut for a table top. Might even drop the trunk and use it if I can manage to remove all the poison ivy!
Owner Kelly Hanna Woodworks and soon....Texas Red's Sawmill
Deck Builder serving Dallas and East Texas since 1977

woodcat47

I would have added photos, but despite being very good at all things internet, I have not been able to grasp the photo process for this site. I uploaded 4 pics to a new album, but none of them showed up. Guess I will have to find the thread on how to work with this system.

btulloh

Congrats on making some sawdust.  Enjoy the journey.

Posting pics doesn't seem to be very intuitive - at least to me.  Perhaps that's why there's a forum topic devoted to it.  Go to the main forum list, all the way to the bottom.  I've posted quite a few pics and it still trips me up.

(I think this is the link)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/board,93.0.html
HM126

woodcat47

Ok....I was missing the step where you copy and paste the link. Very unique way to post photos I must admit, but maybe I will get used to it.

Magicman

Instead of copy and paste, scroll down and click the two buttons where instructed.  That is much easier.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodcat47

Yessir, very unusual when you are used to the normal upload window in other forums being a one step deal. I don't do well with video tutorials cause I can't read them like printed instructions while trying the new process, but I muddled through it.

woodcat47

Very weird trying to rotate....got a really out of proportion result...this is the original. Gotta say I am not much of a fan of the process so far.

woodcat47

Better result this time.

Dad2FourWI

I posted before but something odd happened.... hopefully I will not "double-up"!  ;D

The pics are fine and it looks like a nice setup!

How long of a log can you handle on that mill????

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

btulloh

After a while it'll seem natural - like tying your shoe behind your back.  I think it works that way as a contrast to the many really good things about the Forestry Forum.  You'll warm up to it.  The trick is what MM said - go to the bottom hit "insert picture . . .".  Then I get a popup that says "do you REALLY want to insert this picture?" up near the address bar in the browser.  Sometimes I don't notice that because I'm looking at the bottom of the screen at that point. 
HM126

btulloh

You found an easy way to cut wider lumber.
HM126

woodcat47

This mill will handle a 26" diameter log and the maximum cut is 19" wide between the guides as far as the manual says. The bed is 24' so I think I can cut up to a 22'6" cut if I load it right. Biggest one on it yet was about 10" across and 22' long. Should be getting some 20" x 20' logs to cut soon. Picking up two cypress trees next weekend. They are about 50' tall...going to cut them into 20' sections and a couple of 10' logs.

Next big job will be somewhere between 10 and 20 cedars. Going to cut them on the half and half and make some mantels and slabs to sell.

Love the term 'like tying your shoes behind your back'....man you hit that one on the head!!

fishfighter

Congrats on the mill. On your logs, you might want to cut those branch knobs off flush with the log. That will save you time when flipping. Also a floor jack will be a must to level the pith.

Woodland trailer plans work out just fine. And yes, good people to work with. Had contacted them the other day to find out what color paint they use on the mills so I can match my trailer to the mill. They did email me a code, but also told me to just bring in a green part to a paint store and a computer can match it.

My set up as of now. I'm looking to automate the feed on it. Still looking for parts and pieces.

And you are right about these daily rains. They just don't want to stop here. In fact, it's raining here now. :(

Oh, on blades. I started using Kasco 7 degree blades. Getting more cutting time out of them per blade. Also, much cheaper. They are a sponsor here too! Quick shipping at that. They sell blades in a set of 15 at a time.

pineywoods

Fish, click here, think you will find this interesting. The original is on my manual wm lt40, still in daily use.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39860.0.html
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishfighter

I remember reading that last year. Did kick that idea around, but have my heart using a power wheel chair motors. One to drive the head and one to raise and lower the head. I will be adding a wrench for a toe board too!

JamieT

congrats on the mill!! ive owned mine for almost 4 years now. They are very very tough little mills. hard to beat for the price!! ive had no trouble out of mine whats so ever besides normal wear and tare. I installed an hour meter on my motor and am now up to 217 hours. My clutch recently wore out, but with 217 hours on it, im not complaining. enjoy your mill, your list of things to build will grow and grow!! lol 
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Thank You Sponsors!