iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boots - General Work

Started by Wudman, January 18, 2010, 04:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I must be an odd ball. Have a real wide foot. Georgia Boot is all I can find that fit. I keep 2 pair and swap out every day. You won't find them at wal mart
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

MrMoo

I wear Chippewa work boots and Cabelas hunting boots for dressier occasions. Both have served me very well.

moonhill

I wear my Red Wings for work and dress up.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

DanG

Wudman, if you get sticker-shock at the Redwing store, look for a cop store and check out Magnum boots.  The pair I have on look much like military jungle boots, but they are Goretex.  They are pretty deep into their 3rd year of daily wear and going strong.  Mighty comfy and very little break-in was needed.  The great part was, they were $57!  This pair is not steel-toed.  I can't wear those as I have feet shaped like a duck's! :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

coldnorth

Gotta check out Bellevilles!  They make all kinds. I've used them for a few years (ever since red wing and others went overseas)  Made in USA!   I believe it is what our military uses.
If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

Brad_bb

I was so frustrated with my redwing show laces that were worn out and refused to stayed tied more than 10 minutes.  I was so frustrated I went into the Redwing store in a huff, frustrated.  The guy gave me a new set of laces for free (I didn't know that they did that), but was worried I'd still have the same problem.  Well I found out that the laces are impregnated with something to give them more friction against each other and now they stayed tied!  To my shock, someone already solved this problem.  Thank goodness!  Attaboy Redwing.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

rick f

Redwing here   I use the slipons and get 2-3 years out of them. I do construction work so I'm on concrete alot. I also farm so they get hard use out in the fields.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

DonT

I have a pair of Thoroughgoods.They are a structural firefighting boot,eight inches high, They meet all safety reqirements.Downside to them is they have hard sole that is slippery in the sub-zero weather.They are made in the staes.

Don K

I wear Timberland Pro model boots I get through work. Steel- toed, easy to break in, and fairly good cushioning on the sole.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Paul_H

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 18, 2010, 08:31:19 PM
I had a pair of hard soles once and couldn't stand up on packed snow on roads. Worst things I ever had on my feet.

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 23, 2010, 02:29:29 PM
I have to put my Teflon shoes on, .

Swampy,

What made you think those shoes would be comfortable? Everybody knows teflon is slippery :P :D 
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Here's what I use for operating a brush saw. Just ordered a new pair today. They are water proof as well when working in the alder/moss type ground to.

http://www.deakin.com/shop/products/?p=1518

I can only get them there as the local saw and boot shops don't order them anymore. One guy says it's getting hard to sell logger's boots. He's the biggest saw dealer in the area, chainsaws and brush saws. These boots are made in Vernon, BC. Most thinners wear those rubber boot type chainsaw boots. They don't give much support and are too hot for me. Hard on the feet I find and chafe the legs. This shop always bought the Swede brands and they are about $100 more and no better.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

I like my Magnums.  They're very similar to the old jungle boots the Army had.  I have feet shaped like a duck and need the wide toe, and the sole is thick but flexible.  I've worn this pair daily for almost 3 years and the tops are finally wearing out, but the soles are still like new.  They were only $55. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

I should add that softwood thinning is very hard on boots. Your walking on stubs anywhere from pencil sized to 6", but mostly around 2" and fairly dense. That will rip the best pair of boots up within a season.

woodmills1

redwings

and check out their socks ifin ya has da stinky feet
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Toolman

Bought a pair of Irish Setters at Bass Pro 2 1/2 yrs. ago. The only American made boot they had. Paid $180 for them only because I had a $100 gift card! They are the most comfortable and well made boot I ever owned. I was at Bass Pro a couple months ago to get a pair of chest waders and see that they no longer carry those Setters. I guess they lasted too long. All of the boots they sell are China made now.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Ivey

Bought a pair of Red Wing tactical, I like.
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

captain_crunch

If you want a good pair of boots check oue White Boots made in Oregon USA. Not cheap but hand made
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Papa Bang

I used to use  Whites in the late 70's and early 80's and I like the high arch but the last couple or pair did not hold up well. I have a pair of Meindl 800 gram from Cabela's that I have worn every day in the winter for six years and although they look pretty ragged they don't leak. The bad part is that they are $300.00 but some models with less insulation are less money. They are made in Germany not China.
Papa Bang

SwampDonkey

For my workboots I use mink oil/grease on them. Keeps the leather from drying out. With those boots I linked to, the leather stays good because of that. But, the rubber is what blows and I tried using epoxy to repair, which is strong in itself, but once the rubber loses connectedness it keeps ripping out. Wish I could just get some rubber to dip the boots in, because it's a shame to toss them out because of the rubber.  I'll have to try some tire patches or something. :'(

DanG

SD, have you tried Shoe Goo?  It's made for repairing rubber shoes.

Gary_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 06, 2010, 06:09:31 AM
For my workbooks I use mink oil/grease on them.

Does it make the pages stick together?   :D :D

I'll second the Shoe Goo idea.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Doesn't hold Dang, the epoxy holds but it also pulls more rubber from the boot after about 2 days.  :-\

bill m

I have used inner tube patches to fix my rubber boots. They last about 2 years.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ironwood

My feet are fatigued ALOT lately. I have had Thoughgood that had "cushion" soles in the past that REALLY helped. I talked to the top of the line dealer and he said Redwing will be coming out w/ a very cushion"y" style sole soon. This layer is just above the vibram sole. He carries both Thoughgoods and Redwing, and some other good lines.

Look for the new Redwings.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!