iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting again in Jersey, Thank you weather

Started by OffGrid973, March 08, 2016, 11:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffGrid973

Cut down to 10/4 after work today, going to be used for making a new tv stand. Found some really RED spots in this fresh cut pine, only been down 1 month.  You guys know what the red / pink comes from?

- Chris
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

sandsawmill14

some kinda mold or fungus i think but i dont know for sure but i do run across it from time to time :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

I sometimes see red flame in SYP and it is very pretty.  I have not seen that the quality/strength of the wood was compromised in any way.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OffGrid973

Thank you for the replies, I will see if I can make it a decorative element if I keep the wood natural color and just top coat.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

78NHTFY

Looks good!  Is it White Pine?  May have been down only a month but it's probably been standing dead several years.  If it is a "red" fungus it may have happened while it was standing, or during the short time it was on the ground.  I have a whole trailer full that looks the same as your log from the outside--will let you know if there's any color after I saw it up.  Here's a pic.   

Best of luck with your woodworking project.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

OffGrid973

How is the best way to tell the difference between SYP (which I googled and says it's a general mix ) verse white pine?

Here is the tv stand I built today, deciding if the top tenons should come through like the bottom or remain hidden, Shorten them by half if I go that way.  Amazing how sturdy this is green with two mortise and tenon on the bottom for each leg.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Magicman

If you are asking whether that is SYP, I say no, but it is a very nice build.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Peter Drouin

It's red rot, Not good , sometimes from the stump or can go in from a limb. If bad the wood will fall apart. I tell the loggers do not bring any here. If they do they don't get payed for it.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!