Sponsors:

Poll: Christmas decorations

Started by Ron Wenrich, November 26, 2006, 09:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas.  Poll ends 12-11-06
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sawguy21

Maybe I'm a grinch but I try to have as little to do with Christmas as possible other than visiting with friends. I find the hype depressing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Cedarman

I ask my brother what he is getting me for Christmas.  The answer is always "The same thing I got you last year".  I say "Good, I'll give you the same".  NOTHING  We get together for a big dinner.  I don't buy too many things, but my wife makes up for it, especially for the grandkids.  I really don't like the commercialization of Christmas.  So I tend to stay away from the city.  We have a company dinner at a restaurant that the folks like.  I give them a year end bonus depending on how well we did.  We have a great evening visiting and telling stories.  I like the getting together more than the gift giving.  If I really want something, I've probably already got it.  But I tell them clothes.  Thats fine as it saves me shopping for them.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom

Christmas is for us all.  It's a time when your concerns are for others to be happy.  What a wonderful thing to teach youth.  Christmas is the only celebration of the year where the goal is that we care for others.  

The celebration of Jesus' birth and the beginning of a period of acknowledgement of a life of good works and an ultimate sacrifice.

My wife is a decorator and Christmas is her favorite.  There are all manner of decorations in the yard and up a long driveway that leads to no-where.   The rooms of the house have trees decorated to the top and candy and nuts on the tables.  The only way for it to be seen is from the air.  We get no visitors.  But, the spirit is there and if a spirit could be seen like an aurora, you could see this place all the way to the mountains of the Carolinas.

pigman

My wife puts up a lot of Christmas decorations, but they are all inside the house. We are so far back off the road that  even airplanes could not  see outside decorations. :o

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DR_Buck

2000 feet from the road, over the RR tracks and out of sight.   No reason to decorate outside.  I don't think the cows would care.

besides........... You'll shoot your eye out! 8)[/size]
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

These are not from this year, but it looks the same other then we aint got lights on the tree at the end yet.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

I love to see Christmas decorations!  I hate to decorate! More than that, I hate to take the decorations down in the freezing January temps!  I do put 1 string of lights across the front porch bannister (my token decoration) and I help Donna put up the tree which she decorates. That is the extent of our decorations.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beenthere

I can buy into that routine Charlie  :)   Been pretty much the same around here, and I'm not pushin to change it any.  (now if the Grand kids would ask "where are the lights?", then it might change  :) )

Have a neighbor down the road going all out this year. I'll enjoy watching theirs. I think my lights will dim when they switch them on each night.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Engineer

Nausea.  Some houses in town are trying to outdo each other with the Christmas lights and decorations, and the giant inflatable snowmen and santas on their lawns, and I feel nausea.  It started the day after Thanksgiving.  At least have the common decency to wait to waste all that electricity until December 1. 

As for me, I do what the wife tells me to, within reason.  Her birthday is mid-December, my oldest boy was born on Christmas Day, and so it's kind of a special season around here, but the over-commercialization makes me ill.  We do a nice tree, quite a bit of indoor decorations, and maybe put some lights on a tree outside, but that's it.

Jeff

We decorate the house outside and put things on top of our flag pole for a few reasons but the most important one is that of a small bus load of kids.  When Tammy was the transportation superintendent for Harrison schools she made many friends but some of her most special friends were the kids that ride the special needs bus that comes up the hill right by our house and turns and comes right by the drive. Tammy would always inform the driver of that bus when we put something special on top of the flag pole or first put up the Christmas lights. Even thought Tammy has gone on to other things, those kids and some new kids still come by. The bus driver stops if there is something new so all the kids can see before they continue on.  We decorate all year round, usually its just something small, one item or so, but it brings huge rewards when we happen to be outside as the bus comes by and it slows down and we get all the waves and smiles.

Jeff

Tammy and I did some "drive by"  decorating at the cabin that got a big laugh from my sister once she noticed. It took her all of one evening after we did it to notice. Its like one of those joke grenades. Ya throw it out there and wait til it goes off. She busted out laughing and we had forgot what we had done and she caught us off guard.  Pete has this god awful head mount of a northern pike at the cabin. it looks like a dang frog. We decided to dress it up a bit for da holidays.  ;D

Ed_K

Rita will do lights across the deck & decorate a charlie brown Christmas branch. I don't do presents but she'll make up for it with the grandkids  :D .
Ed K

thecfarm

My wife loves to decorate for all the seasons.I put a couple outside outlets on a light switch.Don't have to go out in the cold to plug and unplug lights.Not enough,we still have to get power from the basement.We live on a deadend road,but with the leaves off they can still be seen somewhat.I like to see the lights and such.I prefer the colored lights.I feel Christmas decorations should have color.I will be wearing a santa hat the first of Dec for the whole month.I like to wait until Dec to leave the lights on.The wife has started and I will help.Things will be tested to see how they look,but not left on until Dec.We have about 10 of those big blowups.We have the room to spread them out.A navity scene is new this year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PineNut

Had a plot clear-cut across the road about 12 years ago. A couple of large trees were left so I made some lighted decorations and hoisted them up the tree maybe 30 or 40 feet up. Made a real good effect when there were no other lights visible from that location. Cut outs included a nativity scene, angel and stars, all of which were about 5 or 6 feet tall. Trees have since grown up in that area so don't have a place to put them now. But was very effective for a few years.

Paschale

I'm a bachelor.  No decorations.   ;D

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

asy

When I was little we had a Christmas tree. A plastic one, but it was the nicest plastic one I've ever seen... :D  When I left home, the tree came with me. It was about 6ft tall, and gorgeous. By the time my kids were about 5, the tree was 30 and starting to fall apart...

When Stephanie was in Kindergarten she came home with a really cute drawing of a Christmas Tree on a big piece of paper. So I stuck it to the wall, and stuck the presents under it. I did buy another tree a couple of years ago, but now the kids aren't home at Christmas so I don't other decorating.

Stephanie asked whether we're putting the tree up, but, they're going to their dad's on Dec 15th, and won't be home till Jan 5th, so not much point. We're doing our Christmas thing this Saturday. I've done most of the pressies, but I still have NO idea what to get my son...

A bodyboard, I think.

I don't decorate outside, for the above reasons. Also Andy is the biggest Bah Humbug bear you'll ever meet...  ::)

We'll hopefully be down the farm for most of the time over Christmas, but my Mum is coming into town on Christmas eve, for a week. It'll be the first Christmas with both parents (well, obviously my Dad won't be there) but it'll be the first one with Andy and I and both sides of parents. It's a real pity the kids won't be home...

There's always next year!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Ron Wenrich

We've never been too much into outside decorations.  But, some of the farmers around here will put either a tree or a star on top of their silo.  It can be seen for miles around and is pretty cool to see real early in the morning.

Our town puts up Christmas decorations every year, even though there are some years they don't take them down.  They lit the town tree down on the square and had Santa arrive.  That always happens the day after Thanksgiving.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

TexasTimbers

With 5 kids what do you think? They want them, I put them up. ::)

It's about Jesus for me and the wife but for the kids it's mostly about lip service for Jesus and self-service for them under the tree.
We have however been able to maintain some semblance of reality with the gift-giving, keeping it in check in our family. We do a Chinese Christmas every year at my moms.
At my wifes mom it is quite different. Although normally she is quite UNmaterialistic, she carries on a tradition started by her late husband called The Money Box, which is wholly materialistic.
She spends all day folding up $2000 into small little tight wads. Every demonination is represented, the $1 of course being most ubiquitous. Everyone takes turns pulling a bill from the box.
I thought it was kind of anti-Christmas spirit at first and really it is, but she is pretty close to the Baptist version of Mother Theresa so I figure it's okay to participate in the one indulgant activity she allows herself. I have to admit, it is fun. It builds and builds in excitment weather you want it o or not. Some will walk away with $?? and some with $???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Burlkraft

I used to be in Paschale's position, but since Jill moved in it's like North Pole..South here.

She LOVES Christmas and loves to decorate....Inside mostly...No big lawn balloons here... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

tcsmpsi

I never really know about decorations.  We always have a tree and stockings for immediate family and grandchildren.

Outside, about all I ever do is to string lights on the fence up by the road.  It depends on whether the lights work this year (I leave them up all year) and, if not, whether I have time and motivation to replace them.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

thurlow

Quote from: Paschale on November 28, 2006, 01:01:36 AM
I'm a bachelor.

Married men live MUCH longer than their single brethren, or..............................................maybe it just seems longer.  ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

beenthere

Dat like fishing without a worm on the hook?  ::) ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Hey Paschale, there's a thought. Mebbe putting up Christmas decorations would attract a good looking lady.  :D :D I'll have to try that one.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Engineer

You should at least hang the ol' ball of mistletoe somewhere, if things work out right, you could find yourself with a whole bunch of decorations someday....   ;D ;D ;D lol