iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer Boards

Started by lxskllr, December 09, 2019, 09:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

High grade, no sap wood, full length and seasoned at least 2 years white oak planks can last past 20 years out doors. Got the prof parked in my yard.  The problem with locust is the long lengths can not be had. I wonder about osage orange.

lxskllr

I think locust would have been doable, but I bucked it to 8' lengths. Boss said he wanted locust posts, so I turned them into posts, and he complained about the shape. They're perfectly serviceable with a little freehand chainsaw work, and would make great corner posts, but they'll probably sit in the woods til I do something with them. They might just be firewood  :^S

scsmith42

Quote from: lxskllr on March 01, 2020, 09:08:05 AM
Quote from: lxskllr on December 11, 2019, 10:42:28 PM
Via pm, I got a link to this page...

Distinguishing Red and White Oak | The Wood Database

I'm gonna try to check it out tomorrow after work.
"Tomorrow after work" ended up being a good bit longer than expected. I looked at it last week, and it's clearly a red oak. I may go up today and get started milling it. The cold weather that never came is leaving fast, and I want to get it done before warm weather gets here.
Any tips on treatment after install? Low cost, and low toxicity are my priorities. Durability would be nice, but with low cost/toxicity, it wouldn't be a problem slopping a new coat of whatever on it once or twice a year. Something like canola oil would be great. Would that work? I use that as my winter bar oil, and it satisfies the two requirements.
Used automatic transmission fluid (ATF) or hydraulic fluid works very well, and it does not have the carcinogens and dirt that engine oil has.  Let the boards dry for a few months, and then treat them if possible.  Borate treatment will help too, and it's considered low toxicity.  A 15% mixture of Timber in hot water, applied with a garden sprayer will help.
The ATF/Hyd oil will provide better protection than the borate though.
Another option would be one of the newer water based stains, such as a TWP product.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!