iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SIP pieces for kiln?

Started by Engineer, December 08, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Hi all,

We got done putting all of the structural insulated panels on my timber frame and I'm left with a whole bunch of little pieces.   Generally all about 4' wide and randing from 2-6' long.   I have been trying to figure out what the heck to do with all these things, everything from really excellent doghouses, a heated box for keeping glue and caulk warm, insulating a root cellar, building a walk-in freezer in my basement, etc.  I have enough to fill three pickup truck beds.  I gotta do something with this stuff or it will all rot.

I am wondering if this stuff might make a good kiln?  I can piece all the little bits together with some splines and spray foam, to make walls, but I am trying to figure out what type of kiln will work best - DH, solar or something else.  I probably have enough bits to make a box about 6' wide x 12' long, maybe 7-8' tall. 

Tom_Averwater

I had  surplus panels from my sips panel house also. I was told the EPS wasn't good for a kiln because it absorbed moisture. The glue would also fail between the osb skin and EPS. My dad made a dog house out of some of them.  Tom
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Thank You Sponsors!