iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which new saw?

Started by Tyson Wedekind, June 11, 2018, 06:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realzed

When I was shopping for a brand new saw this early Spring - I looked at and was very impressed with the newest 261CC-MII version which I eventually bought and love for the balance and lightness..  The fellow who I was asking questions of at the dealership I frequent, has sold hundreds of these types of saws to users many of whom are government forestry departmental workers who use them in their daily work. He is a hands on type of guy with saws - not just a salesman, and when I asked him if I opt'd for a 20" bar with a 3/8" RS chain, would it pull it well - and he didn't hesitate in saying "certainly". He did allow that combination would hold an edge probably better than the .325 chain that they come with and was ready to set one up with such a configuration for me - but since I currently have other saws with the .325 chain and associated sharpening equipment I ultimately went with the .325 size for convenience and less hassle.  But I do intend to get a 3/8" set up at some point in the future when I get more hours on this saw to switch it over.  HE knows saws and had absolutely no hesitation in suggesting a 3/8" deal would work well - for what it is worth.. Bottom line is: anyone can overtax any saw regardless of the chain or sprocket or powerhead - but just using some good old common sense will make a combination last or not - it's not supposed to be a race! 

Weekend_Sawyer

My 455 was a very good saw but it leaked bar oil from the
oil line fitting under the saw. It seems to be a common problem.
I replaced it and even tried putting sealer around it as recommended somewhere on the net.
It still leaked.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!