iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Issues resolved with new mill

Started by tobryant1, January 29, 2018, 11:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

Please don't think I'm bashing or calling names here, but put yourself in Woodmizers position right now.
My big question would be if you saw it was damaged to that extent why would you even consider firing the thing up before you took care of things with them. I can say for darned sure that if I bought a shiny new mill and it got to me anything but that, I wouldn't lift a finger for fear of wrecking any chance of trading it back to them and I certainly wouldn't settle for a damaged mill.
I wouldn't be surprised if they suggest the possibility of maybe you damaged the mill, tried to make it work the best you could and now are looking to them for answers.
Again this isn't meant disrespectfully towards you, but I've been through this on Woodmizers end of things and it sucks for everyone.
I do think I'd look a bit closer at the shippers though. Were they Woodmizers shippers or did you contract a shipper? That alone can change the entire conversation here.

Dave Shepard

WM should have been contacted before this ever became a discussion topic.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

york

Albert

tobryant1

I have spoken with the dealership and they are going to make it right. I did tell the dealership that I did not blame them for the damaged caused by shipment, that was out of their control.   I also explained that I was not comfortable making the repairs myself and I would want someone to verify everything is in working condition on the mill.

We now have a plan to get the mill back to their facility and have all the parts damaged in shipment replaced and the entire mill looked over for any other alignment issues.  I feel a lot better that I will not be doing the replacement of the damaged parts.

I appreciate the advice received from the forum.  I had every intention of giving the dealership the chance to make this right.  I was just looking for insight from others, in no way was I trying to say that the company was bad or the dealership.  I was just second guessing my decisions and wanted inputs from the sawmill community on what I should do. 

Tennessee is the place for me

Massey Ferguson 2705e
Woodmizer LT15 go Diesel (sold)
Timberking 1400 Diesel
Timberking 2000 Diesel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with 5.9 Cummins

starmac

I have not bought a new woodmizer, but from what I understand from those that have, they usually (or at least some times) schedule their pickup on a day that the dealer can school them up a little on the running of it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Bruno of NH

This is what I thought would happen :)
WM is top shelf for a reason .
Now the mill will tested by WM before you get it back.
I'm very interested in how the little diesel pulls on the mill.
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

tobryant1

Quote from: starmac on January 30, 2018, 04:29:50 PM
I have not bought a new woodmizer, but from what I understand from those that have, they usually (or at least some times) schedule their pickup on a day that the dealer can school them up a little on the running of it.

They only do that on the larger Mills not on the LT15 and below, they give you a DVD. 
Tennessee is the place for me

Massey Ferguson 2705e
Woodmizer LT15 go Diesel (sold)
Timberking 1400 Diesel
Timberking 2000 Diesel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with 5.9 Cummins

Scottasheppard

Well I'm the new guy... and it sure makes me feel good to see folks standing up for WM. I ordered my LT15 Wide last week... I've heard nothing but good things about these guys... To be honest I'm as excited as a 8 yr old waitn on my 1st bb gun. LOL Supposed to be here Feb 12th 8)
Aka Porkie

SawyerTed

Glad to see things are working out!  Woodmizer seems to be a top notch company that earns its following.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Scottasheppard!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

First let me say......SCOTTASHEPPARD......you're a PIG!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Welcome aboard brother!   8)

Second let me say I have had my problems with my first Woodmizer Mill.
I have seen other owners have problems with other brands of mills also.

Whether it is a sawmill, truck, leaky roof, a pacemaker with a short in it or anything else.....problems happen in life.
Having patience and staying calm is the thing you must remember most.
I have lost time and money on problems before.

Please give Woodmizer a call and explain your problem. Thankfully you have some great pictures.
Let the system work.....let it work. It will take time.

I'm thinking like somebody else brought up.....I think you have 30 days to return it.
Per your pictures you have documentation of damage.
Make the call and return it.

***** Trust Me.....I am the Poster Child for Woodmizer *****
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Southside

I had to replace a set of brushes on the drive motor on my WM.  Called, got the set ordered and they showed up a few days later.  I opened the box and the fiber base the brushes set on was broken so one brush was not secure.  The box was good so it either got missed when they packed it up or somehow in shipping it got damaged.  Anyway - I called Wood Mizer in Indy to tell them about it, the only question they asked was what was broken on the new part.  Did not need any photos, did not want it back, nothing - shipped me a new one that day. 

Their customer service is amazing, work with them on this and in the end you will have a mill that you will be very happy with.  As a bonus - the experience of assembling it and the frustration of dealing with this issue will give you a head start on knowing every little detail about your mill down the road, you will be better off for it in the end. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

starmac

I am curious whether woodmizer uses ltl or truck load freight.  That damage if damaged when recieved would have been damaged either loading or unloading, not while in transit on a truck.

Southside

It could have gone to a depot and been transferred onto a different unit or even another carrier for final delivery.  Maybe WM should look at putting "Tip and Tells" and Stick on impact tellers on their mills they ship, cheap insurance in the future.   
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

starmac

That is why I ask if anybody knew if woodmizer used ltl or truck load carriers? Ltl would normally be cross loaded, but an expensive way to ship normally, tl carriers cheaper, and it normally stays on the trailer till it's destinations, there is always exceptions, such as shipping here to Alaska.

clintnelms

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

MartyParsons

Hello,
   I am sure WM will take care of you. At our location most mills come on a 53 ' van carrier. When needed small mills are shipped LTL. I have seen one damaged like this on LTL loads. I would bet it was dropped or was dumped over. I am sure the dealer was not aware it was like this.
I am sure this will work out. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

petefrom bearswamp

OK showing my ignorance what is LTL?
On my 3rd WM and have had my share of problems all but one my fault IMO.
The one was of the old style fuses, the top one wasn't tightened properly and worked loose dropping down and shorting out on the lower one.
H bridge destroyed, the mill was 3 yrs old when this happened.
Expensive fix.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Resonator

LTL - Less Than Truckload. Many kinds of freight shipped together with other freight for many customers. As opposed to FTL, Full Truck Load, an entire trailer of freight for one customer.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Dakota

FedEx Freight is an example of a LTL carrier.
Dave Rinker

mad murdock

case in point on LTL carriers, we have had to ship Main rotor blades many times to the repair shops as needed to make repairs to blades that we could not do in our shop, they are shipped LTL in a military (purpose built) blade box, and shipped with all kinds of warnings about forking the box, what is in side of it, etc, etc.  Recently, despite the warnings written right on the bill of lading "special instructions" Aircraft parts, use caution with forks, do not puncture box", they did just that on return we got a set of damaged blades back thanks to the freight company.  We are in negotiations now as to who will take responsibility and pay for needed repairs, (27k worth).  As Poston said, let the process work, it will take time, but with patience, things will get worked out, and made right.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

mad murdock,could you use 2 pallets? I work at a hardware store. Some of our product comes from the warehouse with 2 pallets,most times lime,cement,. All products is in bag,forks too high,there goes 2 bags. With 2 pallets,no damage to product.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

starmac

MadMurdoch. I have hauled lots of high dollar aircraft parts, most companies requires it to be put on a dedicated truck, instead of ltl.
I have a friend that only hauled them, depending on the load he would only take his gooseneck, and there was even times he left the gooseneck and threw the LOAD in the seat.

LeeB

Quote from: thecfarm on February 01, 2018, 07:53:37 PM
mad murdock,could you use 2 pallets? I work at a hardware store. Some of our product comes from the warehouse with 2 pallets,most times lime,cement,. All products is in bag,forks too high,there goes 2 bags. With 2 pallets,no damage to product.

Be careful of stacking on two pallets. I see lots of times where the bottom pallet craters and spill the load.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!