iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member with questions....

Started by toomanys10s, March 26, 2012, 03:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toomanys10s

I'm a new member here. I have a 2010 LT15 with 25hp Kohler. The mill is mainly for personal use. The first question for you folks is.. I have a paper birch that I was thinking on milling up for flooring for my wife's tack room in her barn, so what method is best to cut this stuff for flooring? Any other uses, or should it not be used for flooring at all?
2010 LT15G25
Too many projects and not enough time!

Chuck White

Hello toomanys10s

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I take it you're handle refers to S10 Chevy's.

I don't know about the birch for flooring, most refer to paper birch as a premium lumber, not too many of them around.

Lots of guys use Ash, Maple & Oak for flooring.

Somebody will be along to give a little more assistance.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

We do not have Paper Birch but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, toomanys10s.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

laffs

The birch should be fine for a tack room. flat sawn will work,square it up and make  boards
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

nas

I made a birch floor for a friend and it turned out really nice.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

mikeb1079

welcome to this fine forum toomany.  i just cut my first paper birch on saturday and i have to say it was possibly the prettiest lumber i've ever seen.  i think it would make an amazing floor.  be sure to use the contrasting colors between the sapwood and the heartwood, it'll look great.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

toomanys10s

Thanks for the replies! That floor looks great nas. I think my wife would love that. I will take some pictures when I open it up.
2010 LT15G25
Too many projects and not enough time!

Thank You Sponsors!