iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

L53 or the L200 for a 20 foot container

Started by Tree Dan, January 08, 2019, 11:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Dan

Hey all,
I have a old 20 foot x reefer unit that came available,
would the L53 be too small, or the L200 be too big?
I normaly cut 8/4 and have between 800 to 2000 bf to dry at a time
Although I would dry 4/4 as well....mostly all hard Maple, Ash and some pine

Cheers
Dan
North Bay,ON
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

K-Guy

Hi Dan
Stan from Nyle here. We recommend a L200 for a 20 ft container. The L53 doesn't have enough heating capability for the container. If you would like to discuss it call me at 800-777-6953 Ext 212
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I agree with Stan...you need the extra power in order to be more versatile in what you can dry with the best quality.

As we begin to get tax forms in the mail, it is good to mention that the entire kiln is a piece of equipment, just like a desk top oven but bigger, and so is a depreciable item.  Sometimes the smaller operations are not aware of this possibility, but large companies know this.  You do not need to be an incorporated business or large to take advantage of this; using Schedule C is an operation for many folks.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

Go with the Nyle 200.  Bigger is better, its better to have a system that has excess capacity so that it can reach a setpoint and idle under no power than a smaller system that has to run continuously.

Also, a bigger system will reach the proper wet/dry bulb depression faster, to keep sticker stain away.  I have both units, and they are both workhorses.  The L53 is for up to 1,000 bdft, the L200 is for up to 4000, and a 20 foot container should be able to hold 2,000 bdft. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Tree Dan

Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Thank You Sponsors!