iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

'Nother Hoss for da Farm

Started by Magicman, September 17, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The front post were the best part of the mod because they protect me from being slapped by low hanging limbs.

Plus deflecting limbs from the FEL controls.  I do still plan to rearrange the exhaust tail pipe a bit to give it more protection, just haven't gotten a roundtoit.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Ray, this Bushhog comes standard with two wheels, but I added the third to prevent high centering.  It is also offered with drawbar pull, but I opted for the semi-lift.  It also has an optional hydraulic cylinder to control the rear height.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Guess I will have to buy her a bigger tractor. Need at least 40hp just to pull one of those and that is the smallest one they have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Da Hoss had to earn it's "hay" again today.  First the pier had to have the first stages of being rebuilt after 25 years.

The rebuilding crew removing rotten decking.

And adding new joists.  Yes, the red shirted Grandson took an unscheduled trip, fall, and dunking.

Next is was on to the bridge.  Removing rotten decking boards.

No mishaps and the first bridge is re-decked.

I will take the sawmill back with me tomorrow to saw White Oak for the pier and additional bridge decking.  PatD and I will probably spend the entire week at the Cabin getting everything ready for the 4th. 

That plus we have another Great Grand (something?) scheduled to be born Monday. 

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

I remember a time some fat guy almost went through it!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tacotodd

You wouldn't be referring to that "other" Jeff, would you? ::)
Trying harder everyday.

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on June 28, 2020, 11:43:07 AM
I remember a time some fat guy almost went through it!
Almost through the pier and also when that bridge was only poles.

There would be no way to even think about estimating how many times that particular bridge has been rebuild or relocated.  Here is a rebuild 4 years ago:  LINK

Those deep holes and anchors seen in the above link is all that saved it from being washed off this time.  At times that bridge goes at least ~5'-6'under water as seen when the unattached poles washed up and lodged against the tree & bank.  I had bridge building poles and decking that got washed away further upstream.  I recovered all of the poles but never found some of the 2X12 decking boards.

EDIT:  I saw links to rebuilding the other two bridges on the above link.  Neither of the other two bridges are crossable at this time.  Marty and I will re-deck the smaller bridge tomorrow which will leave the one that was done in 2014 still to repair.  Until yesterday none of the the 3 bridges were crossable. One down and two to go.

Magicman

Another full day at da farm.

First we had to re-deck this small ~18' bridge. 

Bridge wrecking and rebuilding tools.

We will come back and completely rebuild this bridge, but it is good enough for the 4th which was the objective. 

Now maybe I can complete the Bushhogging but....

Yup, another Red Oak tree across and blocking the road.  It's gotta go.

Marty geared up and using the Stihl MS362.  That is one bad saw.

The tree that remains is ~20' up so it will stay until it decided otherwise.  The tree that was blocking the road is cleared out so maybe I can finish Bushhogging, except.....

Another ~36" butt Cherrybark Red Oak down and blocking the road.  We did not have enough time to remove it so I rerouted the road around this one.  It will become either firewood or termite food.....one or the other.

We now have two of the three bridges that we can cross and I will have to go back another day and finish Bushhogging the roads. 

Magicman

I finished bushhogging the 7 miles of trails yesterday and with two bridges that can be crossed, we are now ready for our annual July 4th trail ride and scavenger hunt.

Banjo picker

I wish you wasn't so far away, .... I would take that cherry bark off your hands.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I also wish you were closer Tim, because there are 15-20+ more to go with it.  One of the main problems would be crossing the creek.  :-X

Magicman

Da hoss musta thrown a shoe.

I got into some thorny Mock Orange and I reckon that some got into my tire.  That tire was old anyway so it is getting shod.  $122 + +.  :-X

EOTE

Quote from: Magicman on July 06, 2020, 09:49:11 PM
Da hoss musta thrown a shoe.

I got into some thorny Mock Orange and I reckon that some got into my tire.  That tire was old anyway so it is getting shod.  $122 + +.  :-X
Put water in both rear tires for ballast.  It won't hurt the tires.  It will definitely help with traction
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Tacotodd

OR...or use some of the stuff called liquid tube. OTR truckers are known for using it quite often. It's white in color and prevents rust, unlike slime. It works well. I've even used it in my trail buggy (truck) tires and never had a flat on anything except for the time that I had a very tight obstacle that put 5 large 4"+ gashes in the sidewall. Nothing that you could do that time. I have even run it at 60mph without balance weights, and 1gal in each tire. BTW, the tire size, 35x12.50x15. Not cheap, but not the end of the world. I don't play like that anymore. Can't afford it, now that I'm married and WE have a house!
Trying harder everyday.

Tacotodd

And these tires were just over $200 each 15yrs ago. My, how time flies. Like several of my USMC buddies and Dad (was also USMC) said, "would never do it again, but wouldn't trade it for anything". 
And I didn't even coax those comments from any of them.
Trying harder everyday.

Magicman

No loaded tires for me.....too many thorns.  Yes it helps with balance, traction, and smooths out the ride, but a flat is a killer.  Been there, done that, and have the T shirt.  :-X

Corley5

The loader tire I put Amerseal in late last fall hasn't needed air since 8)  http://www.amerseal.com/ 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Weekend_Sawyer

I got serious tractor envy!
I've had a few tractors, none newer than 1954 vintage.
I hope to some day soon have a very modern Kubota myself.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

EOTE

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on July 07, 2020, 10:08:06 AM
I got serious tractor envy!
I've had a few tractors, none newer than 1954 vintage.
I hope to some day soon have a very modern Kubota myself.

Jon
I did it with the Kubota financing plan - 0% down, 0% interest.  Sell off your old tractors and pay down the balance. :)
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!

Magicman

This tire was old, badly cracked, and had a tube in it.  I will go back tubeless so I can use Strings to make repairs as needed.

EOTE

Quote from: Magicman on July 07, 2020, 11:50:56 AM
This tire was old, badly cracked, and had a tube in it.  I will go back tubeless so I can use Strings to make repairs as needed.
I've been using those on my truck and trailer tires for years.  You can repair tires that the tire shops won't touch (fear of liability).  However, on my tractor I use industrial brown goop in the front tires and water for ballast in the rear tires.  Having worked as an ag mechanic for 10 years, we rarely saw any large tire punctures unless the tire was old and cracking.  In Montana they added calcium chloride to the tires to prevent freezing.  It is still easy to repair tires with the strings that have water in them, but you have to rotate the puncture to the top of the tire and allow the air pressure to normalize before repairing.  Use the reamer to open up the tire puncture and help normalize the air pressure before inserting the string.  Works like a charm.

Magicman

New front tire and we were back at the farm today doing some welding on the broken disc.

Lift the disc frame up and off of the disc assembly.

Grind and bevel the broken weld.

That should hold.

And the disc is back together and ready for this Fall's Food Plot planting. Thank You Kubota FEL.

The spraying that I did Monday looked like 100% success!!  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!