iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

'Nother Hoss for da Farm

Started by Magicman, September 17, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Looking good Magicman. Keep them big bucks growing. What are you planting for the food plot 

Magicman

Oats and Wheat.  I have many volunteer grasses such as Fescue, but the plots give them something special.  I wish that I would have had time yesterday to take a picture of the spraying success.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

I know this is not a tractor question. 
Big Bob is my first skid steer.
Can you load tires on them?
Is there a benefit to doing it.
I have had 3 tractor and have had the rear tires loaded in all of them.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

EOTE

Quote from: Bruno of NH on July 12, 2020, 01:03:30 PM
I know this is not a tractor question.
Big Bob is my first skid steer.
Can you load tires on them?
Is there a benefit to doing it.
I have had 3 tractor and have had the rear tires loaded in all of them.
Ballast in rear tractor tires is generally to offset the loader and move the CG rearward and allow the rear tires to have more traction.  
Adding ballast to the tires on a skidsteer will put more weight (traction) to the ground and will also compact the ground more.  Usually as small as skidsteer tires are you are not going to get more than 5 to 10 gallons max per tire so at 10 gallons that would be approximately 75 pounds per tire.  
The way skidsteers are configured I am not sure if there is a benefit.  Usually the weight pivot point is the front tires so ballast in them would be neutral.  Skidsteers are generally designed for balanced load and traction.  
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Magicman

Da hoss got another workout yesterday along with it's brother John.

But first John got outfitted with PAT's quick hitches.  I have a Speeco quick hitch but I believe that this will give me more flexibility.

I am/was needing more White Oak for bridge decking so this tree shown in the center would be the donor.

27" butt.

It gets measured, marked, and trimmed.

The 18½' butt log and a 12'.

The top logs.

John is hooked up.

And I am ready to make the mile skid with this 18½',  27" butt and 22" top log.

Marty and John will skid these two 12' top logs.  We will come back and make the final mile long skid with the other 12' logs.

Making the first skid.

The logs are skidded, staged, and ready for the sawmill.  It was very hot  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun  but it also was a very productive and rewarding afternoon.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Nice family workout .
Hot here in NH to.
95° to 100°
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Marty added another "Hoss" to his stable.

This is the first purchase of his new "start up" construction company.  Not new but it should serve him well.  It is an F350, e/w a 6.7 Diesel.

Bruno of NH

That Henry will get the job done.
Good luck Marty with your business venture. 

Magicman

Marty added another "Hoss" today to his stable.

It is a Kubota U25 for his new "start-up" construction company.

And it met my Kubota M4900 for the first time this morning.  "Hi there, nice to meet you".  :)

Tomorrow Marty and Ben are traveling to the Dallas, TX area to pick up his second work truck; a 2013, F250 e/w a 6.7 Diesel.  It will join the F350 pictured in Reply #156 above.

Southside

Very nice addition!!  Once you have a track-hoe around you wonder how you ever got along without it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

We are still wondering how we got along without a 4X4 tractor with a FEL.  Actually we do know....we did without.  :-X

Banjo picker

I know what you mean.  When I was contemplating getting a tractor,I was going to get a 2 wheel drive as the 4x4 was several more thousand dollars.  A friend of ours that was a kubota guy convinced me to spend the extra money.  I am glad I did.  It only hurts once to get what you want.  Really a need instead of a want, I just didn't know it at the time.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Marty's equipment and vehicle fleet is now complete after the addition of this 2013 F250 yesterday. 

SpaceBus

Quote from: Magicman on September 17, 2019, 09:47:22 PM
I've had a Category 2 Quick Hitch on the John Deere since 1995, and it very seldom is ever removed.  My plans are to move it to the "Big O",as in "Big Orange" and install Pat's Quick Attaches to the JD.  I suspect that time may find QA's to both tractors.
I know this post is old, but I have a tractor with Pat's and I'm curious as to how you like it. Some how I ordered mine without the piece that locks the lift arms together, but I'm thinking I would like them a lot more with the center link thing. Do you prefer the Quick Hitch to the Pat's? Sounds like you do since you are thinking about switching your older tractor over as well. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Magicman on August 08, 2020, 03:31:48 PM

Marty's equipment and vehicle fleet is now complete after the addition of this 2013 F250 yesterday.
So which one is Marty going to drive

Magicman

Quote from: SpaceBus on August 08, 2020, 04:32:00 PMDo you prefer the Quick Hitch to the Pat's? Sounds like you do since you are thinking about switching your older tractor over as well.
I put a PAT's on the John Deere and removed the Quick Hitch which may never be used again.  The new PAT's come with the adjustable rod to hold the arms at the correct width for hitching up.

The F250 that Marty got yesterday will become his day to day truck. 

Bruno of NH

Mr Lynn,
Marty is building himself a nice fleet of equipment. 
That should serve him well.

Magicman

We spent a couple of days at the farm doing prep work on the deer food plots.  I have always done my subsoiling with the old 2WD John Deere but her battery had failed so I hooked up to the Kubota.  I dropped the shoe down kinda hard and sheared the shear bolt so I grabbed the only 7/16th thing that I could find and started subsoiling.  With the JD, when the wheels started spinning I raised the lift arms a bit and continued on.  Well the 'bota wheels started spinning and I shifted into 4WD.  ::)

So now without a proper shear bolt, something had to give and it was the top link. :o

Kinda looks like a bent top link to me??  ;D

So I grabbed the JD top link, shifted into 2WD and finished my subsoiling.

The welding supply did not have pipe that the cut off ends would fit into, so I used square tubing to put the top link back into service.

gspren

That bent top link looked kinda wimpy to me, looks better now.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

It was from Tractor Supply, mfg. in India.  It's the same link that I find in all of my hardware stores.

I believe that the square tubing will be OK, but I do now have some grade #2 shear bolts.  Lesson learned; stay out of 4WD when subsoiling. 

GRANITEstateMP

I had a custom top link like that one time...
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

chevytaHOE5674

Got lucky the top link folded up. Just had a Mahindra in the shop that had something similar happen only the top link held and the bracket and rear casting failed.

Weekend_Sawyer

Horsepower, showing you where the weak spots are on your tractor since 1912.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

I had Friday and today to spend at the farm doing some general stuff plus some last chance trail clearing and bushhogging.  Yesterday went well so I got a fairly early start this morning.

Well at ~9:00 this morning this happened.  :-\  I am thinking DanG, what did I hit when I noticed...

Yup, a limb had broken the valve stem off.  :-X  It was mounted up tubeless but I am thinking what is the quickest way for me to get back to work.  I called the CO-OP and yes they had a 9.5X22 tube so I was on the way.  move_it

Three hours later, which included lunch, I was back to work.

I rounded a curve and this hurricane downed Red Oak greets me.  I sawed the butt and about 12' off so that I could pass and continued on bushhogging.

I was circling and bushhogging a small clearing when I spotted this on the ground.  smiley_headscratch  Well of course that's my stumpjumper but it's supposed to be under the bushhog and doing it's job rather than goofing off.  I finished that clearing with what was left of my bushhog and headed to the Cabin.

25 years of service had taken it's toll.  The gearbox output shaft was sheared off and the stumpjumper pan has paid the penalty for doing it's job.

I was unsuccessful removing the broken shaft stub but it really doesn't matter because I will have to replace everything below the gearbox anyway.  That's hoping that the gearbox output shaft is a replaceable item.  ::)

Southside

Gee - from your first photo I figured you decided to re-paint the inside of the wheel so you took the tire off.  ;D  Sorry to hear of the bad luck, I have had many days like that. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!