iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer projects (barns and out buildings)

Started by Jim_Rogers, April 04, 2016, 04:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Today a timber framer from Maine sent me some photos of the barn and out buildings he has made with tools he bought from us.

Here they are:

The above one was labeled studio.

Below is labeled house:

This one is labeled barn:

I think he did a pretty good job.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

S.Hyland

Nice pictures Jim!
I always wonder what the original owners of those tools would think to see them put back to their intended use, sometimes decades after being set aside. It seems like it would make a lot of long gone carpenters happy.
   I picked up a large lot of tools from a local guy a few years ago which were owned by a carpenter who originally worked about 40 minutes from where I live. The carpenter was active from the late 1800's to the early 1900's, and built and repaired a lot of local barns as well as anything else carpentry related.
   The tools were a very wide assortment, everything from framing chisels and axes to carving tools. You got the sense that the guy was a well rounded craftsman. The most interesting moment for me, was when I picked up a small rectangular lump wrapped in newspaper. I unwrapped it and inside was a really nice Keen Kutter 1 1/2" framing chisel without the handle. The newspaper was a local paper from 1916. The carpenter, OEH (Olin E. Hale) was probably retired about that point, and had seen timber framing go into decline as an outmoded method. He probably thought that no one would be likely to have a use for that tool again when he wrapped it up, and was right until I unwrapped it 95 years later. Now that chisel is my personal 1 1/2",in use every day, and is one of the nicest I've used!

"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

fishfighter

What of a heck of a project to be on. Just wish I could see something like that from start to finish.

Jim_Rogers

I just got some more pictures from a customer who built his barn/shed in VT.

See them here:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,3603.msg1522144.html#msg1522144

Jim Rogers

Mad Professor

Jim, I've been more than happy with the tools I've obtained from you; high quality old-school in great shape , thanks.

Nice to see the pictures from the projects.  The Dutch barn is interesting, it seems to be a salvaged/moved structure, any knowledge concerning it's history/origins?  It's got me remembering Dick Babcock.

http://www.dutchbarns.org/dbpsnewssp00.htm

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Mad Professor on November 10, 2017, 10:57:33 PM
Jim, I've been more than happy with the tools I've obtained from you; high quality old-school in great shape , thanks.

Nice to see the pictures from the projects.  The Dutch barn is interesting, it seems to be a salvaged/moved structure, any knowledge concerning it's history/origins?  It's got me remembering Dick Babcock.

http://www.dutchbarns.org/dbpsnewssp00.htm
I don't have any information about this frame, Sorry.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Today I received two photos of a grist mill building that was erected from a set of plans I drew for the group in South Boston, VA.
The wheel is set up and turning but they haven't finished installing the stones, yet.

I hope to visit it again some day.
Jim Rogers

submarinesailor

OUTSTANDING!!!

You guys did an outstanding job with the design and build.  Got to get down there and take a look.

Bruce

klpauba

That is something to be very proud of, Jim.  Excellent job!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Jim_Rogers

Many years ago, I taught timber framing to a bunch of students at the after school program at Winthrop High school. Recently, the teacher of the program asked me to help them with a design of a timber frame ticket selling booth for the school athletic field. I drew the frame and he and his students cut and raised the frame. He sent me some pictures of it, this past weekend.

Here is a screen shot of the drawing of the frame:

Here are some pictures of the frame they cut:

They haven't finished the overhanging roof yet, but, I think they did a great job.

Jim Rogers

GRANITEstateMP

Nice!  It's great to see high school students learning a skill, and putting it to use!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

John_P

Jim, on the VT barn/shed what are the dimensions of that one?

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: John_P on November 04, 2018, 09:50:47 PM
Jim, on the VT barn/shed what are the dimensions of that one?
16'x22'
Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

My friend and customer sent me some more pictures of the ticket booth project:

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Back in September of 2007 I traveled out to Jack Sobon's workshop event where he teaches timber framing, at the Hancock Shaker Village in western MA.
During that visit I asked if someone has bought the frame that they were cutting. And he said yes, this student. And he introduced me to Tommy Tait from Texas.
While standing there chatting about the frame. Tommy asked Jack where could he buy some siding for this shed frame.
Of course, Jack said: "Jim here has a sawmill, and he can sell you siding!"
Well, I never thought that a guy from Texas would by siding from me here in MA.
But several weeks later, Tommy flew to Albany, NY. And rented a truck. He went over to Jack's and picked up his frame and drove it over to my sawmill yard, and dropped it off.
He then hired me to design, mill, and cut the joints in an addition to this shed.
Here is a shot of the design with a side addition:

So we stored his frame and the addition in the sawmill yard for a while.

I wanted to show him that his frame could withstand the snow load:

That was my helper at the time holding up a yard stick.

Next, we cut all the siding.
And when that was done, Tommy drove up from Texas and picked it all up:

Today, I got a picture from Tommy of the frame. He just finished erecting it some 11 or 12 years later. Adding another porch on the front:

What a long journey this frame has been on for a long while.

I just thought I'd share this story with you.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Today, a customer sent me a picture of his frame that he cut from a set of plans of mine. It is an 8x12 garden shed with a lean-to added on the side.
He added a king post and ridge beam because he liked that look.

I think he did a nice job:

Built in Nova Scotia.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Recently, I sold this timber framer some bits for his project in Ireland.

He sent me this photo of his frame:

I think he did a nice job.

Jim Rogers

Stephen1

Great post . Thanks for all the pictures Jim
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!