iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Viewing DVD

Started by Fla._Deadheader, July 22, 2009, 06:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Have some DVD's I want to watch. Windows Media Player needs a compatible DVD Decoder ???

Tried downloading something from Microsoft site. No help ???

How do I put something on this computer to view DVD's ???

Had Nero, and it says to activate DirectXsomething.exe ---- on the DISPLAY tab ???

Where is this mysterious Display TAB located ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DouginUtah

Most people use PowerDVD. It used to come bundled with hardware. Not so much any more, but you can download it for 30 day free trial. Well, I guess you can't Harold but there are some that are smaller that might work for you. Put powerDVD into Google and go down a few links to the cnet page. They show several down a ways on the download page. (easydvd)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

SwampDonkey

Harold, Nero Showtime is what I use.

Try opening "Help and Support" under the start button and type in DirectX in the search window. Then click the links to trouble shooting DirectX. You will get a link to the DirectX diagnostic tool which checks your system.

Unless you have the latest CPU the sound can be choppy (DVD viewing) if you have a virus scanner in the back ground. A no frills DVD viewer can be had for $30 bucks if all attempts are futile. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks, Doug. I will check into this.

I bought a new DVD reader-burner, for my Daughter, on my recent trip to Florida. It came with Nero 7 .
I brought the disc here and loaded it on the computer. I HAD the 30 day version. I had deleted all Nero stuff, before installing from the disc.

It said I needed to activate the DirectX, and find the info under the display tab ??? ???

Only display I know about, is, on the control panel.

Believe me, I messed with this for over an hour.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I don't understand why a simple unit can not be installed , without having to be a Computer engineer.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I will try your advice, SD. I don't like buying stuff from down here, online , with a CC.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

OK. Guess I'm dumber than -----dirt.

It say to look on the display page. It says to look under the displey TAB. Where the he77 is this display stuff located ?????????????????????

I've been searching for 30 minutes, typing anything relayed to DISPLAY in the search box ????????????????
   First, it is ridiculed;

Warbird

You aren't dumb and dirt is where we come from anyway, so no worries there, either.  ;)  The directions are just poorly worded.  Here is what you do...

Click Start, then click Run.  In the little window that opens, type dxdiag and hit Enter.  A window will open asking you if you want to run blah blah blah.  Click Yes.

Now yer in bidness.  In the window that opens, click the "Display" tab and select whatever it is the directions are telling you to enable.

If after doing that, the application still complains that you aren't running a new enough version of DirectX, then download a newer version.  A quick google search on updating directx will get you that info, if you need it.

Hope this helps.

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Warbird.
Now, it says the Computer is running a generic version of drivers for the DVD Reader-Burner ???

Now, I gotta dig through all my computer discs and find the one for the Samsung Burner-Reader ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Warbird

You might be able to just update the driver in the device manager.  Do you know how to do that?

Fla._Deadheader

I know nothing, NOTH ING  ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Warbird

Best to find your CD with the drivers on it, then.  It would take me quite a bit of typing to explain it all.

Fla._Deadheader

Hang on, Warbird. I will root through some boxes later today.  ::) ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

When I type in the search window in Help and Support I get two links in a panel just under the search window. I click the second one, it shows the help in the right panel and there is a DirectX diagnostic link staring me in the face.  Didn't know it was complicated. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

SD, That Balsa wood is nice and dry. Send me yer address.  ::) ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Didn't know I ordered any.  But, it that a cue to be ready for a beating? :D

Fla._Deadheader

Naah. Just figured you had too much time on yer hands, and REALLY need to get started building that Plane.  ::) ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Between cutting brush all day and picking raspberries in the evening 'til dark, I'd have to be Superman.  ;D

Plus three more boxes.  Day isn't long enough as it is. ;)

Fla._Deadheader

Well, I'll jest hep ya out, der.

Ship one-o-dem boxes rat on down heaar.

I love Raspberries, but, doubt they will make down here.  ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Lanier_Lurker

I solved most of my frustration with Windows Media Player and the various other DVD-specific players by using the free VLC media player.  It will play pretty much any type of media file or disc you throw at it.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Don't know if you are running XP or Vista, but on XP you can check your version of DirectX doing a START--->RUN and typing in DXDIAG.  This will launch a new window with a bunch of info in it.  I think the current version of DirectX is 9.0c.  I mention this because you may need to be current on DirectX in order for VLC to work properly.

Fla._Deadheader

I have DirectX ver.9.0.  I have VLC Media Player. I have no idea what I am doing or needing.

I have to look for the driver disc. I found one with ALL drivers on it, but, it's not manufacturer specific, I don't think.

Really appreciate all the helpful ideas. One day, this will all shake out.  ::) ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

OK. I downloaded a large update for the VLC program. Still does not work.

I have tried the DirectX enable, but, I get a not available in all the options to enable boxes.

I have a Samsung  reader-burner. HOW do I find the model and whatever else is needed to go online and look for the drivers ??? Should be a list on the computer, somewhere, correct ???

I can not locate the Manufacturers disc. Must have been installed by my Computer guy in Florida, and, he is very sick at the moment.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT ??????????????????????????????????
   First, it is ridiculed;

Warbird

If it were me, I would download and run this:

http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

NOTE!  I have never run this particular program before but have run ones like it, in the past.  Anytime you dl a prog off the Internet, you should be cautious.  From a quick look, this one looks okay but understand that the risk is yours.

Install it, run it, and see if it identifies your DVD-RW.  Once you have whatever id it gives (model #, etc), you can then search for a driver for it.

Fla._Deadheader

Isn't there a way to obtain the info, on startup of the computer ???

Seems like there is, but, I know NO THING  ::) ;D

I might have some junk on the computer as it is. Really don't want any more.  ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Harold,

Right click on the "My Computer" icon (in Windows version XP and earlier we are talking here). Then a menu pops up to the screen with an item called "Properties" at the bottom on the menu list.

Then, a window called "System properties" comes up.

Click the "Hardware" tab

The click the "Device Manager" button.

Then a list tree comes up with "+" beside each item in the list, there is a "DVD/CD-ROM drives" item, click the little "+" symbol and the tree branches out to show all the CD drives installed.

Double click on the listed drive in that list tree and the driver info window pops up with tabs at the top, one is the "Driver" tab where you click to get into to check for updates and install them or roll back to an earlier version. Many times those OEM drives in computers use a driver written by Microsoft and are on the Windows install disk. I think you get an option to check on your install disk(s), installed hard drives (C:\ D:\ ....etc) or the internet.

Fla._Deadheader

OK. The search says the software installed is fine for the device I have.

How is this possible, when Windows Media Player says there is NO DVD decoder ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Because they are not one in the same. The cd-rom driver (software) controls the drive itself and the file system the drive is capable of read/writing to (DVD,BD,CD-R,HD). The decoder(s) is usually for MP2, MP3, MP3pro, MP4, WMA, AVI file formats (referred to as codecs in the industry). Think of it like a utility that encodes and decodes files into a compressed file format, like winZIP. The CD device (hardware) controller is usually ATAPI or SCSI, that's how the signals are sent over the ribbon cable from computer to drive.

codec being an acronym for coder/decoder.