iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making wood bricks.for flooring

Started by rjwoelk, January 31, 2019, 11:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

I got a call from a fellow who would like a 4.5x9 x ft . Of birch.
What he wants to do is cut end grain slices 1/2 thick  air dry them then glue them to his studio floor( clay sculpture artist). He would sand it down and fill in all the cracks and checks with the dust mixed with glue as a grout.
I think they should be more like 3/4 or maybe 1 inch thick. Gives him more thickness for more sandings over time and better wear. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

LeeB

I would think drying before slicing the bricks would be a better idea. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

Would take years for a log to dry. 

As long as the guy expects some cracks once they dry, and has a plan to deal with them, carry on. 

Slices like that will dry (and crack) in a few weeks. Then he can glue them down and slap on the putty. 

He would be best with "Free of heart" if you can do that, or some smaller pieces if you can't. Less checks and gaps to fill that way. The pieces that have pith, they will crack badly. No pith = more stable
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

Hadn't meant the logs should be dried first, but I guess a 4.5" x 9" would take quite a long time to dry also. Indeed, I was considering the amount of cracking he would experience trying to cut the slices from green lumber.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

Bank here in town has mesquite bricks for flooring.  A dark wood, they filled in the checks and cracks with what looks like black bondo,  beautiful floor.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Brad_bb

You could fill with a tinted epoxy - tinted black or whatever.   FOH would be a good for reducing checking,  but most end grain floors I've seen are boxed heart pieces because they want to see that circular pattern.  I'd want thicker pieces than 1.2", but you could probably get away with it.  I've never done a floor like this, but I wonder if setting the pieces in epoxy might be a good idea?  Then do all your grouting/crack filling with an epoxy pour, then sanding the surface.  Some of the tinted epoxy would go over the top of some bricks which is why you need a good aggressive floor sanding to clean it up.  I don't know though.  The owner will have to do the research and decision making.  Confirm with the owner that he wants boxed heart, which is what I would want. Explain to him that they will check like cookies check when drying.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

rjwoelk

Yes he is aware of the checking and is ok with that as it adds character.  He wants pretty rustic look.
He just needs to figure out how many ft he needs.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Kindlinmaker

I've seen massive end grain block floors in manufacturing plants in the Midwest. I inquired about one in particular where I had a large business relationship. It was well ocer a hundred thousand square feet installed over concrete in a major printing plant. If I remember correctly...   Installed around 1917.  The blocks were 4 x6 end grain maple. 2" thick.   Set in creosote with thinned creosote squeegeed into the cracks as grout and bonding adhesive. They were used because the wood could be sealed/resurfaced to keep the floors less slippery than the concrete when inks, solvents and other chemicals got slopped on them (guessing concrete sealers were somewhat limited back then).  They were being screeded and sealed with modern finishes by the time I first saw them in the 80s.  They have withstood incredibly heavy equipment running over them as well as chemical exposure for 100 years. Some of the most beautiful antique floors I have ever seen.....in a factory no less.  Go figure. Of course we can't even buy creosote anymore and probably wouldn't want to if we could. 
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

low_48

I worked on top of an industrial floor when I started at Caterpillar in 1972. Like you say, block floor as far as you could see. Worked well until the ceiling sprung a leak, or a coolant tank leak on a machine. Then it would buckle up and be a mess. They had a full time crew in those days. These guys brought in dry blocks and laid them in. They fired up the hot tar kettle and poured it on and used a squeegee to strike it level. Hard to breath around it when they did a repair in the winter and those tar fumes had no place to go. Latter when I was a modelmaker in the Industrial Design department, we remodeled the design studio and I suggested we do an homage to that floor. Brought in wood blocks from End Grain Wood Block Flooring by Kaswell Flooring Systems. Beautiful floor with an oil finish. Winter brought about gaping and some noise from the floor as it really shrank up. That 9" dimension is the one that will cause issues. It's going to do anything but stay straight.

rjwoelk

Would he be better off doing 6x6 or 8x8?

low_48

I think so. The square could become a trapezoid, but he wouldn't get the longer arc (bow) from the 4 1/2 x 9.

nativewolf

Quote from: Kindlinmaker on February 01, 2019, 08:12:36 PM
I've seen massive end grain block floors in manufacturing plants in the Midwest. I inquired about one in particular where I had a large business relationship. It was well ocer a hundred thousand square feet installed over concrete in a major printing plant. If I remember correctly...   Installed around 1917.  The blocks were 4 x6 end grain maple. 2" thick.   Set in creosote with thinned creosote squeegeed into the cracks as grout and bonding adhesive. They were used because the wood could be sealed/resurfaced to keep the floors less slippery than the concrete when inks, solvents and other chemicals got slopped on them (guessing concrete sealers were somewhat limited back then).  They were being screeded and sealed with modern finishes by the time I first saw them in the 80s.  They have withstood incredibly heavy equipment running over them as well as chemical exposure for 100 years. Some of the most beautiful antique floors I have ever seen.....in a factory no less.  Go figure. Of course we can't even buy creosote anymore and probably wouldn't want to if we could.
And the floors made from end blocks are just as beautiful today.
Black Locust - Kaswell
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!