iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log weight log home construction

Started by Edvantage, March 30, 2019, 05:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edvantage

Logger just cut down 30 red pine trees for me for my log home project. I have a knuckleboom crane I plan to mount in the middle of the house for lifting logs. I just cut a 6in. piece off each end of a 46ft log (20in butt 14in tip) Together the two pieces weigh 92 #s which gives me #s per foot of log x 46ft = 4000#s . The calculator I used said this log should weigh 3340#s @ 75% moisture so I am assuming I am at the high end of moisture content. My crane is rated for 3312#s at the reach I need. So at the current moisture % I am too heavy. How soon might I expect to loose some of this weight? I cannot get the logs delivered until load restrictions come off in mid may and was hoping to leave bark on until then. So I would not be lifting these until June. If I had to peel them sooner I could but would be a little more difficult due to the location

barbender

Nice logs👍If anything, the ends you cut off will have a little less moisture than the rest of the log. I don't think they are going to dry substantially in the time frame that you have, even if you do peel them. Even then you will be working right up at the limit of your cranes lifting capacity, which is never good. You must be building off site of your foundation if you are set up inside the building? Can you move the loader around the outside instead? 
Too many irons in the fire

Edvantage

Turns out my scale was off a little when I corrected it the log weight calculator and my actual weight are very close. My full length logs will be at max crane capacity but if I cut at door openings I can minimize these. The plan is to use the crane in center of house and lift it out later. The building site is too steep with walkout basement to use loader. Being able to setup in one location and not reposition a loader for each log will save lots of labor. Crane has a base that travels  on parallel I beams which will be left as  as floor support beams.

Ljohnsaw

Don't discount lifting one end of the log at a time.  With proper restraints, you should be able to do that safely.  What time of joints are you doing?  Butt & pass or scribe?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Edvantage

barbender

If you buck your logs for doors and windows, you will reduce your max length lifting on most home designs a LOT!👍 It sounds like you have a solid plan.
Too many irons in the fire

fishfighter

If you look down towards the bottom of the page, you will see a red tool box. Click on that. There is all kinds of info there and even a log weight tool. 8)

Myself, I would start peeling them suckers asap before it warms up and bugs attack.

Edvantage

The log weight tool proved quite accurate. We are still buried in snow. I laid unblock for my basement last fall, a month ago I had 6 1/2 feet of snow in it. Melted down to a couple feet and got another 12"last night. I am not too worried about bugs before June with this kind of weather hope to have logs peeled by then. I have three boys that can't wait to peel logs actually my girls are fired up to get going also.

btulloh

Quote from: Edvantage on April 12, 2019, 05:25:15 PMI have three boys that can't wait to peel logs actually my girls are fired up to get going also

smiley_thumbsup
HM126

Edvantage

Edvantage

Andries

A great start to a big project! It takes some courage and a solid family.
Growing up in a big family with a big project like this is so familiar - it's how I grew up too.

I'm going to agree with all the responses above, including lifting one end at a time. you can do a lot with ingenuity and 'where there's a will there is a way'. Just go slow and figure out a safe way to get it done with what you have.
Here's my last project, snow included, but not anywhere what you lake-effect folks get;

Your logs will release moisture (and weight) very slowly, measure in years, so allow plenty of space above doors and windows for settling and a bit of shrinkage. 
Peeling is better done sooner, rather than later.
Please keep posting pictures and updating your progress.
You'll get any and all questions answered here - these other guys are some smart rascals!
:D ;D :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Edvantage

It's how you grew up and look what you are doing pretty cool. I have 10 kids oldest boy is 20 and moved out of state 2yrs ago. Recently came home and told me how much he loved all the stuff we did when was growing up.

Thank You Sponsors!