iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New LT15 after sellers remorse

Started by vahighlander, July 21, 2019, 11:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vahighlander

Its been a long long time since I frequented this forum.  Glad to see some of the guys I followed are still getting it done!

I'm considering purchasing a new LT15 with powerfeed.  I have owned to 2 Woodmizers before.  Both of them hydraulic LT40 HDs.  I KICK MYSELF DAILY for selling them way back.  Enjoyed both of them immensely and built my home and barns with them and made money custom sawing on the side.  Then life got in the way for several years, and they sat in the barn for months on end as I traveled for years with work.

My situation has changed, and I'm now full-time on my farm after traveling in my business life for 27 years, and its time to get another sawmill for the farm.  I don't see myself going out and sawing offsite for others anymore.  So I'm considering a stationary LT15 with power feed. I have a good 62hp Kubota with forks, a Wallenstein logging winch as well.

I'm trying to not paint myself in a corner if I just hate manual turning after becoming a really decent sawyer on a fully hydraulic WM.  But then again- I'm in good shape, and wont be working for speed.  I have 200 acres of mature, upland HW forest on my farm here in the VA mountains and want to start harvesting some of it and sawing for ourselves, but also selling some lumber and value add products out of the forest, and may take on a little custom work if they bring it to me.  I'm planning a new sawmill shed right now.  My last shed got turned into a lambing and hay barn for the wife.

Where can I find more detail about your mods upgrading to hydraulic turning and clamping?  The other is whats a ballpark estimate on the cost of doing so?  

I looked at Norwood and Cooks as well, but lean back to WM it seems.  My budget right now is 10K tops.  So I'm buying now but planning ahead I guess.  Thanks for any advice or detail!!
WM LT35HD, Stihl saws, Kubota M5700, Massey Ferguson 2750e, Wallenstein FX65Winch, Woodland Mills WC88 chipper

dgdrls

Go with the LT 28.
Closer to what you worked with before
and its sits on the 40 series chassis as I understand.

Dgdrls

samandothers

You will miss the hydraulics I am sure.  Since you are not doing production it may suit ok.  

Best of luck to ya!  Which area/county of Va mountains?

vahighlander

I'm up in Highland County, in the Alleghenies.  A little place called Monterey.

WM LT35HD, Stihl saws, Kubota M5700, Massey Ferguson 2750e, Wallenstein FX65Winch, Woodland Mills WC88 chipper

slider

I don't think the frame on a 15 can support a log turner and loader . My friend has a lt 15 widehead with power feed and he loves it. he built a log deck from timbers and put an overhead winch to turn the logs. its a nice set up for a one man show. I did talk him into poring a pad and bolting it down. Makes clean up much easier.
al glenn

47sawdust

After running the LT40's you might not like the way the LT15 is configured.I would strongly suggest going back to the Lt40 hyd.even a well cared for used one.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Oddman

For under 10k I believe the EZ Boardwalk Model 40 to be the most mill for the $... Frame is strong enough for your possible upgrades, members here have done it

vahighlander

Guys,  

After looking hard at the choices, I pulled the trigger on a new LT15 Wide with power feed, from Marty at PA Woodmizer.  Pick it up Friday. I'm gonna set up my shed and loading area to make it easier on myself.  Just not in a position to invest in hydraulics right now, and used mills are still too much.  But the good thing is 3 or 4 years from now- it will hold good resale value if I need to step back up to an LT40HD or better.

I looked at the LX150 too, but really dont like the bed rails and side supports.  The Wide opens new opportunities.  And loading with my Kubota 62HP and forks will be a breeze. Slider- would love to learn more about your friends set up with his Wide.

Thanks guys.

YellowHammer

The LT15 is a workhorse mill. First thing I would do is call up the local steel company and have them deliver two pieces of 2x6" x 20 foot long sticks of steel rectangular tubing.  Then assemble the LT15 on those, rail on rail and tack weld them together.  It will give you a frame nearly 1 foot tall, very solid.  That's what I did with my old LT15.

Then scrounge up a light axle and stick it under the frame and weld a hitch to the front and now you have a portable mill with a much stiffer frame than the original.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

vahighlander

Yellowhammer-  do you have pics of this?  I like this idea.

kng

vahighlander,

Here is the build for my LT15 trailer.  I haven't mounted hydraulics to it yet, but I have that option in mind:

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=83571.0

thanks,
-Kyle
2015 LT15G19 with Power Feed and custom trailer

YellowHammer

Here are some photos.  By the time I had it done, I had the doubled frame, removable log deck, winch claw turner, hydraulic two plane clamp, hydraulic jack toeboards, trailer tires and tongue, lever operated backstops all tied together (very nice to have) and a few other things.  I also added a cup holder.  This was three sawmill ago, but it was a good one.  The LT15 started our business and cuts very flat lumber.  

This picture shows a big white oak log being turned with the claw turner mounter to the farm, form from underneath.  Getting the mill off the ground gives the height required to mount lots of accessories. Push the winch button, and the log turns.  Easy.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

vahighlander

Thanks guys.  It helps me feel even better about the LT15 Wide decision.  These are upgrades I can take on at different stages.

vahighlander

Well guys- I went to pick up an LT15 Wide from Marty in PA- and ended up leaving with a brand spanking new LT35 Hydraulic with optional debarker.  Not sure what happened, just got drawn over to it and kinda zoned out.  ;D  That and a few sleepless nights worrying if I would be ok with manual log handling/turning in my mid 50s.  So much for my curiosity with a manual mill LOL.  

The deal was too good and its really a great mill.  Stay tuned next week for some deals on the LT35 HD.  Marty and the Shade Gap crew are top notch.  My 3rd Woodmizer.  Just brought it home and its ready to get to work!
 ing I 

samandothers

You are gonna like that mill!  Congrats, glad you got what makes life easier.  My 35 manual is very good.  There are times where hydraulics would be nice versus the cant hook.  The grapple on the tractor helps.

caveman

The ease of changing blades on the 28/35 mills is a benefit over the 40/50's.  That is a fine mill and it should also hold its value.  Congratulations on your new purchase.
Caveman

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

Fantastic buy.  Good to see someone from one the nicest counties in the US in terms of views/population.  Worth a trip ...just bring a picnic basket because there is no fast food!  

Glad you went with hydraulics! 
Liking Walnut

Stephen1

Welcome back the FF, you never regret Hydraulics. congratulations!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

vahighlander

Thanks guys.  Yes my county, Highland County is the best kept secret on the east coast.  One of the highest avg elevations for a county in the east, and one of the least populated counties east of the Mississippi.  We have just over 2,000 folks in about 450 Sq miles.  And most of them are really nice :) folks.  Beauty, big country, lots of timber and good values if you are looking for a new homestead.  Come on up!

John S

Congratulations on the new mill.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

vahighlander

Well shes up and going! Milling hemlock to start off, to get material for the new saw shed.  This is my temporary home under the end of the barn for a couple months.  Hers a few pics from today.

Southside

Nice set up.  For not too much money you could hook up a sawdust blower to the dust hose and not have a ton of shoveling to do at the end of the day.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

Thank You Sponsors!