iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chomper processor help

Started by HuZzEy, September 20, 2019, 04:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuZzEy

Hey guys. So I got the chomper home is been working pretty well but I've had some issues with max size logs shearing them off. I could read the pressure gauge so I bought a new one and today I encountered a 14" beech that it would not cut and watching the pressure gauge it went up to 2600-2700psi. The pump is a Haldex 1058 stage it was manufactured in 1999. Would you guys think it's time for a new pump?

barbender

It sounds like it's probably getting up to where it's hitting the relief. In other words, the pump is doing it's job, the shear is hitting enough resistance that pressure is building to the max relief setting. The only way I could see around that is bigger cylinders on the shear, which would be slower but would have more power. It may also tear something up😳 I would start by making sure the shear blades are sharp and cutting with the least resistance possible. I've never ran that type of processor, nor a shear type feller buncher. I would think any harder or dry wood will give you fits regardless.
Too many irons in the fire

HuZzEy

Thanks barbender. It's sharp and it's green wood, I've only had this issue on big beech and red oak

Logger RK

I have a Hahn Harvester with a Shear blade cut for doing pulp. Hydraulic pressure's set at 2,500. If I get a 18inch or bigger hardwood the relief blows before it'll cut all the way through. It's not worth setting it higher or there'll be parts breaking. So then I'll use the hydraulic saw instead. Or if doing saw logs I'll use the saw also 

kodiak375

I understand that the Chomper and Rainier Hydraulics went out of business a few years ago, is anyone making parts orhas anyone restarted the manufacture of the Chomper?

hedgerow

kodiak375 Welcome to the forum. I haven't heard of anyone starting the company back up. Do you need parts? I think you will have to fab up hard parts like the cutter blade. Hyd parts should be able to be had a most hyd repair shops. 

mudfarmer

Shearing big beech sounds like... a big beech. I would not want to have to maintain the piece of equipment that does it on the regular :-\

It is slightly harder than Northern Red Oak per this chart: Wood Hardness Chart - Schenck & Company

jmur1

Curious to know the diameter capacity on the Chomper.  It it was a nice soft wood how big could it go?

jmur1
Easy does it

moodnacreek

That machine would certainly need max. pressure to work.  I remember the chomper at northern logger shows. I felt bad for the guy doing the demo as it would get stuck.  There are areas out west the do softwood firewood so I suppose it worked better out there.

Tdbound

My Chomper is the bigger model, I can put through a 17 inch log, no hesitation re: shearing, frozen logs, tamarack, no problem cuts with little effort.
    I have been having problems with the shear bottoming out then the pump is trying to raise the shear but the micro switch is not giving a signal to the control valve to raise the shear. Everything was working great until I left it out in winter conditions, melting snow etc . The last time this happened I brought it into the shed and stored it there for three weeks , temp was in the thirties, took it out and put it to work no problems, any one have a similar experience, thanks

beenthere

Tdbound
Welcome to the Forestry Forum

What are you chomping? Assume for firewood, or is it the European chunk wood products?

Pics of your chomper operating would be great.

And location also great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gearbox

Chompers were never designed for big hardwood . work great up to 10 inch Oak bigger than that you are asking it to do too much it's going to break . If you want to turn up the relief until something else brakes
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

mike_belben

if you can share the control schematics and hyd schematics we can probably help get this thing sorted out.  flying blind doesnt make it easy on the techs. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!