iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I love this Track Saw!

Started by Brad_bb, November 09, 2019, 10:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I've had this Festool TS 75 since last winter and had not set it up and tried it.  Honestly I was a little intimidated after someone showed me how he gouged his track the first time he tried to use it.  But now I had to use it to true up one edge of the beautiful 2x6 walnut for a stair landing.  I watched a couple youtube vids on it last night, then this morning I unpacked it and as it turned out, was pretty east to adjust the play out of the the track, and cut the zero clearance strip.  It was then so easy to use to rip the edge of my boards!  I love this thing!  Cuts nice!!!

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

rastis

That model is on my short list of tools to get. How much track do you have?

YellowHammer

I notice you are cutting on sawhorses.  If you will put a piece of 1 or 2 inch thick pink foam board down on a flat table, the wood will stick to it and won't slide.  Just set the saw to cut slightly into the foam so you don't cut into the table.  The wood never moves, especially heavy slabs.  No clamps, no cut fence guides, works great.  Since this picture, I've been using the 2 inch thick foam, it doesn't crack with the saw kerfs in it.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brad_bb

I have the 42", 75", and 106" guide rail with connectors.  I took a long time figuring out which lengths to get based on most common lengths and my maximum lengths.  I figured the 106" will let me do 8-9' pieces easy enough with room to start the saw outside of the board.

Nebraska

A Track saw  is on  my list of things to aquire, thanks for the tip with the foam.  Woohoo not a wasted day I learned something new..

WDH

I have the same saw.  Also use the 2" foam board, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

I've had the smaller version, TS55, for about 10 years.  It's a great saw and we use it for glue line rips all the time.

Good tip on the foam board Robert and Danny.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

boonesyard

The soft start and brake is excellent. Quality saw and track system, we use it all the time.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

ESFted

I have the same one and both long and short tracks.  I use it on foam to break down sheet goods right on the back of my pick up.  It's also great for putting a straight edge on flitch cut slabs where one edge is ruined.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

WDH

Yes, perfect for straightening one edge of a live edge slab without having to put it back on the sawmill or otherwise having to wrestle with it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

I have a dewalt saw with the one hundred and something inch track.  It works great, but the track is not as straight as it should be.  I should get a shorter piece of track to go with it too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

YellowHammer

We call ours the "Operating Table."  Here we are cleaning up a pallet full of walnut slabs.  The Festool Tracksaw, along with all its accessories, is overpriced.  However, its well worth it.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

When I researched track saws, I found that the depth of cut on the DeWalt is 2 1/4", on the Makita 2 5/16", and on the Festool 2 3/4".  I saw my thick slabs at 2 3/8" thick, so neither the DeWalt or the Makita has the depth of cut to work with a 2 3/8" thick slab without planing the slab down first.  So, I went with the Festool.

alan gage

Quote from: WDH on November 14, 2019, 08:07:11 AM
When I researched track saws, I found that the depth of cut on the DeWalt is 2 1/4", on the Makita 2 5/16", and on the Festool 2 3/4".  I saw my thick slabs at 2 3/8" thick, so neither the DeWalt or the Makita has the depth of cut to work with a 2 3/8" thick slab without planing the slab down first.  So, I went with the Festool.
That's what I keep seeing too and I keep dragging my feet hoping one of the other guys will offer a saw with a deeper cut for less $$$. Might have to break down and buy the Festool before it happens.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Cosmo52

We use the Festool TS55 in our shop and it replaces most of the functions of the table saw.  Its pricey but very versatile and accurate.  Can't beat it for breaking down sheet goods.

terrifictimbersllc

Thinking about getting one of these. Is connecting two pieces just as good as having a long piece? For example a 75+32 instead of buying a 106?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bstueve

Two tracks together are extremely straight and accurate
Still 261cm, JD 1025r, Hoping to add boardwalk bandmill soon.

alan gage

I finally broke down and bought a Festool TS75. Only did a couple test cuts so far but it's nice. Have a lot rough sawn boards to straight line soon and I'm hoping this will do the trick.

I bought Makita track. Much less expensive than Festool track and it seems to work fine with the saw. I got the 39, 55, and 118" track. Was reading online and a lot of people like the Makita track connectors better than Festool as well. As far as I could tell the Makita connectors would work with Festool track.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

WDH

I have the Festool tracksaw, and to answer your question, I would get the single longer track than the two shorter pieces.  If you are off even a smidge when joining two tracks, it will make a difference, but then again, I am persnickety about that kind of stuff :).  You do need a shorter track for cross-cutting big slabs or for trimming stuff like a tabletop.

Brad_bb

Before you ever cut with the Festool you need to know a couple things. 1) you have to adjust the play out of the saw to guide rail fit.  2) Become familiar with the lever on the handle that lets you run the saw and the plunging action. 3) If you are going to do a plunge cut to start your cut, beware of a wicked kickback.  I was warned and forgot about it.  I plunged and it jumped up off the track and the blade walked across the surface of the track.  I was lucky and the damage to the track was not significant and I was lucky the blade didn't hit me.  The solution to plunge cutting is to use the black bracket that is parked on the saw foot.  You attached it to the track where the back of your saw will contact when plunge cutting.  The bracket will  keep it from kicking back.  It works.

mredden

Arrrrgh! Now, I want a track saw but - as a weekend warrior - I just can't justify the price of the Festool in my mind

The DeWalt is tempting and I'm also considering Triton since I love their router so much. Since I mill at 9/4 and plane down with my router, I don't think I need the extra depth of cut.

I have been using a 2" by 12 ft piece of steel as an edge guide for my 7-1/4 Bosche circular saw. Very slow and the saw doesn't like two-inch pecan. I had been considering getting a worm-gear circular saw for increased  torque with my setup.

How is the torque on these saws? Better than a normal circular saw or about the same? I could see them being about the same but cutting better because the saw is more controlled in the cut.

Thumbs up on this thread to everybody.

alan gage

Quote from: mredden on December 20, 2019, 01:37:18 PM
Arrrrgh! Now, I want a track saw but - as a weekend warrior - I just can't justify the price of the Festool in my mind

The DeWalt is tempting and I'm also considering Triton since I love their router so much. Since I mill at 9/4 and plane down with my router, I don't think I need the extra depth of cut.

I have been using a 2" by 12 ft piece of steel as an edge guide for my 7-1/4 Bosche circular saw. Very slow and the saw doesn't like two-inch pecan. I had been considering getting a worm-gear circular saw for increased  torque with my setup.

How is the torque on these saws? Better than a normal circular saw or about the same? I could see them being about the same but cutting better because the saw is more controlled in the cut.

Thumbs up on this thread to everybody.
No first hand experience from me since I just bought the TS75 this week but in researching it I found a few people who weren't happy with the performance of the "regular" sized track saws when cutting hardwoods. They thought they didn't have enough power. Could be they were just complaining or using dull blades. Just going by the amp rating I'd expect them to have the same power as a regular circular saw.
For my upcoming project I don't need the extra cutting depth of the TS75 but I know I will in the future and decided buying it now would be cheaper than buying the Makita now and the bigger Festool later. And nearly all my use will be with hardwoods rather than sheet goods and I knew I'd kick myself if a regular sized track saw really did turn out to be under powered.
The Makita track works with the Festool saw, which saves money over buying Festool track. That makes the price difference only the cost of the saw rather than saw+the more expensive Festool track.
Alan

rastis

Has anyone found a place that offers Festool track saws at a discount? I've been searching and everywhere it is priced the same.

alan gage

Quote from: rastis on December 20, 2019, 02:39:55 PM
Has anyone found a place that offers Festool track saws at a discount? I've been searching and everywhere it is priced the same.
I believe Festool controls the selling price so no one can undersell anyone else.
Alan

tule peak timber

Watch   ToolNut  and they offer free shipping.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!