iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just some woodshed pics

Started by ButchC, January 06, 2020, 07:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ButchC

I admire member Woodshed's building every time he posts a picture of it. I can only wish I had that talent. Here is mine, I built the back half 2 years ago and the front last summer. I think it is done now other than adding one sliding door to the open end to help keep the snow out. We burn about half sawmill slab which is obtained very cheaply and half cut split wood. The Woodmaster 4400 is on season 14, no leaks and running the original TACO 011 pump, fingers are now crossed.  Repairs have been one blower motor, one snap disk and had to replace the stack last year. This is the second installation for it as we moved 5 years ago, both had the 4400 half in the shed. It is curreny 225' from the basement wall. Good house keeping is practiced around the stove. Insurance guy was here for some storm damage and be suggested a fire proof material to the right of the stove, other than that he gave it a thumbs up. 

Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

thecfarm

I like it!!! Your wood is out of the weather.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

I like it too! My insurance company won't let me set my owb up like that👎
Too many irons in the fire

hedgerow

Nice setup Butch. I ended up with a Garn because my insurance company wouldn't let me have a OWB in a shed like that. I didn't want to stand outside and load the boiler all the time and I wanted to be able to have a dump trailer full of wood in the shed to load the boiler. So I bought a Garn that was UL listed for inside and put it in a small shed in my pole shed. Its nice to stand inside out of the elements while loading. Just a side note I really like that homemade firewood processor you built. Have a good winter. Its been a whole lot nicer here than a year ago. 

Logging logginglogging

Don't ask the insurance co... just do it.... who insures a wood shed?

Wood Shed

ButchC,
Once you have a woodshed you wonder how we ever got along without one but we did.  I like your large doors and how your OWB is setting in the woodshed.  IF I ran heat to my old barn where my shop is it would be a 200-300ft. run at least, do not see that ever happening.

My OWB is in standby for now while we are away, left circulator pump run and backup oil boiler (in house)  running and hopefully will keep things from freezing.  
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Oliver05262

I built this last summer; got it full of wood now. Still working off the pile in the back of the shop. Just burn wood to heat the shop, but I do have a stove in the basement of the house for emergency. Overbuilt by a lot, but I decided I'm only going around this life once, and I'll do it right.
8' X 16'-- the back wall is 6'high. Stone pad underneath with 3 -- 6" X 6" sleepers. PT floor framing with 2X8 hemlock deck boards. The rest is pine with a steel roof.

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

cutterboy

Oliver, that's a nice looking shed. Great job. Nice looking country as well.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Bruno of NH

Oliver
Great looking shed 
Wonderful work
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

I built mine 2 years ago. Nothing as fancy as the rest here but it was cheap to build. Locust uprights off my property and lumber sawed on my mill off my place. Roof is 12' X 15' GalvAlum from my feed dealer and other than nails only expense incurred.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

chet

Hard ta believe it's been already 20 years since I built this one.  

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

stanwelch

Real nice yoopershed chet 8)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

mart

Here's mine. I used to have just some pallets and the side and ends open. The old pallets were getting bad and dangerous to walk on. The flooring and siding is all cottonwood. The joists are all spruce treated with Copper Green. I have it full now. Holds right at 5.5 cord.

I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Wood Shed

mart,

Your elevated floor is a great idea, wish I had done that on my wood shed, the drying process would be so much faster.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

mart

Thanks. My old floor was just pallets on the ground. After my foot went through one last winter I resolved to build a better floor. Then figured a nice floor ought to have some siding. The prevailing wind comes from opposite direction, hitting the back of the shed. 

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

JJinAK

@mart- Nice looking shed.  What are the dimensions?

JJ
MS461
MS362

mart

It is 6.5 wide and 16 foot long. Low side is 6.5 foot high, 8 foot on the high side.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

PoginyHill

Adding to the variety of woodsheds out there. Built this a couple years ago when I put in our OWB. Burn about 12 cord/year. Currently have about 24 cords in there with enough room to garage my tractor. The outside "walls" total about 12 cords and I like to leave those to keep the worst of the weather out. Firewood sets on 4X4s. Has collected some water during winter thaw and in the spring, but working on better drainage. We'll see if this year is better. (notice the drain grate along edge in front of tractor)

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

thecfarm

Probably too late now, but a foot of gravel would solve the water problems.
I want to build something next year. A foot of gravel will be going down first. One thing I know, start out high, it never goes up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PoginyHill

Quote from: thecfarm on November 19, 2020, 02:22:03 PMProbably too late now, but a foot of gravel would solve the water problems.

I put two loads of gravel down, which was about 12". One end is about ground level (was lower) and the other above grade (was level). Not an issue with thawed ground, but the frozen stuff is a different story in winter and spring. I have one last thing to do this fall to divert surface water. Hoping it'll be the final fix.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

cutterboy

PoginyHill, that is a humdinger of a woodshed. Very nice.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

mike_belben

Thats a heck of a woodpile!

Just throwing this out there.. Im on clay that doesnt perc at all, so its like what you guys deal with when frozen, all the time.  

Drainage here is by surface slope runoff or evaporation only so ya really gotta get it right the first time.  Dont flatten the base then gravel it. Youll just have standing water.  Flat clay is a trainwreck. Standing water creates a bottomless slake soup.  

Shape your base dirt to have a sink and drainage path from the interior, like an above ground swimming pool with a cherry stem.   And either berms or trenches to redirect any higher elevation runoff into your exit path.  I do the finishing touches in the pouring rain to be certain it works.  

Then put down a coarse rock with lots of voids. I like 1-3 inch base.   level and compact it.  Now put down a breathable fabric to keep the fines and mud and bark from filling the voids and stopping this drainage.  Its like building on a brillo pad sorta.  Spread the crusher run ontop, level and compact.  

Praise The Lord

PoginyHill

Thanks, Cutterboy. it was a fun project.
I hear ya, Mike. I live on heavy clay as well. You'd think I have dealing with it down pat by now. Unfortunately no. It's still teaching me "who's the boss" every day.

Wudman

I remember walking into my first day of "Road Location" class in college.  The Professor was Thomas ("Doc") Walbridge.  He was an old industry guy that made his way to academia.  He wrote on the board.........

"There are three keys to a good road;
1. Drainage
2. Drainage
3. Drainage"

After 30 years in the business, I will add a fourth.  That is sunlight.  Sunshine is cheaper than rock. ;D

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Wood Shed

If I ever get my woodshed emptied I will be adding gravel and 4x4's, really like that idea.

Thank You Sponsors!