iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Built A New Dog Hole Workbench

Started by 21incher, August 27, 2020, 02:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Just finished up a new bench that started as trees growing in the back yard. I never had a decent bench and wanted it to be sturdy and have the ability to organize all my commonly used tools. Needed 2 stools for when the grandson visits and a versatile dog hole top for clamping along with a built in downdraft table. Here are some pics

You can see it uses custom 3d printed brackets for hanging clamps and tools along with 5 pull out storage drawers. There is a 7" vacuum chamber for the downdraft with a pull out seal panel that also catches anything that falls through the dog holes. The tops were purchased because I had no maple that was dry enough but all the walnut and ash was backyard grown. Still waiting for my dog clamps to finish up the mounting brackets for them. Also has some vertical dog holes and threads for some other vises and clampt to be added in the future.  A sawmill is a wonderful machine for woodworkers. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

alan gage

That is most impressive. I can see a lot of thought went into the planning. That will be great. Nice work!

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

sawguy21

That is very impressive but I have to wonder how long it will stay that neat. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

You made all the hangers out of gray plastic (PLA?)?  How about some pictures of just the hangers?  Always looking for ways to store stuff!  Are all the dog holes part of the downdraft?  That would be a lot of air volume.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

21incher

Quote from: alan gage on August 27, 2020, 02:39:00 PM
That is most impressive. I can see a lot of thought went into the planning. That will be great. Nice work!

Alan

Thanks.  It took me many years to finally  realize what I wanted  in a bench. Got tired of gluing everything up on the tablesaw because my old benchtop was so warped. Finally  have  a flat surface for bigger projects.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 27, 2020, 02:45:52 PM
That is very impressive but I have to wonder how long it will stay that neat. ;D

Thanks. Hopefully  for  a long time.  I try to keep the shop clean  for  videos. The other  side had stacks of scrap from this project  waiting  for it to get cold enough  to light the woodstove.  so I dont show that.

21incher

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 27, 2020, 03:04:42 PM
You made all the hangers out of gray plastic (PLA?)?  How about some pictures of just the hangers?  Always looking for ways to store stuff!  Are all the dog holes part of the downdraft?  That would be a lot of air volume.

Yes have over 300 hours of design, prototypes,  and printing time along with  $65.oo of shiny silver  pla to match the router table in the brackets. Don't  have pictures they are all in the build videos and I am trying to get manufactures to consider them . The silicon mats protect the bench  from glue and are also used to block areas not used. Has decent flow, just have  to run a new y in the dust collector pipe. 

trimguy

Very nice table. I have never used a down draft table before. So, is this just for chips and saw dust or is there another use ?

21incher

Quote from: trimguy on August 27, 2020, 08:28:51 PM
Very nice table. I have never used a down draft table before. So, is this just for chips and saw dust or is there another use ?

This is just for fine dust from final sanding assembled projects. I have another bench with  2 large fans and filters for all the big sanding jobs. Plus it should  help keep me from breathing fumes from things like  soldering. Only about  400. Cfm total so it definitely won't move chips.

Thank You Sponsors!