iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Laguna Supermax 25-50 Drum sander

Started by terrifictimbersllc, November 08, 2020, 03:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

You probably already know this, but a crepe rubber block for cleaning the sandpaper is a must-have. 
HM126

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

xlogger

Quote from: btulloh on January 20, 2021, 03:11:03 PM
You probably already know this, but a crepe rubber block for cleaning the sandpaper is a must-have.

Got one from Amazon on order, I cut a roll today for it off a large roll and put it on. I got the right length but I had at least 1/2-3/4" needed more to cover the whole drum. My rolls are 3" do I need wider rolls? Maybe 3 1/8"
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

terrifictimbersllc

I looked at several of my Supermax boxes and the size is not mentioned there just that it is for the 25" sander.
I measured several rolls width and got 3-1/32" for all of them.  I think they are nominally 3".
If it's any help I dont think it matters if when you wrap it on there is a bit of gap between the adjacent wraps even 1/16" which might help you cover the width.  The fit has to do with the angle and length you cut the leading and trailng edges and that the overall length is long enough. There is a template for this in the operator's manual.  I didnt have to cut any.  

Mine cover the width of the drum.  But they tell you to leave a gap at the last wrap to allow the sander to pull things tight as the paper stretches.

It would be worth having one genuine Supermax roll just to use as a template if making them up off of a bulk roll.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

xlogger

Can't seem to find rolls of 36 grit, anyone have any ideas?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

21incher

I got mine from Supergrit in 50 yard long rolls. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

terrifictimbersllc

Supermax sells the individual rolls in packs of 3.

I didn't see bulk rolls anywhere that were any less expensive than the pre-cut Supermax rolls .

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Quote from: xlogger on January 22, 2021, 07:37:58 AM
Can't seem to find rolls of 36 grit, anyone have any ideas?
Here

I ran a 24" double drum Grizzly a few years ago and got rolls from them.  Call as they have more than whats on the website.

I cut a plywood template that I used to cut the angle on the belt.  Worked well.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

farmfromkansas

I skipped the drum sanders and went with a 15" Grizzly wide belt, open end sander.  Works great on glued up panels.  And easy to change grits, just push a lever, and slip on a different belt. Cool thing about the sander is if you sand both sides as you go, helps to flatten panels.  You have to pre- try your wood, as the sander is not limber like the drum sanders, and you might jamb it up with a piece too thick for your setting.  I put the end of the panel between the rollers to adjust it, start a little loose and tighten it up till it is sanding right.  Lots faster than drum sanders.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!