iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blacks Creek / Wallenstein / Eastonmade

Started by dquest, September 16, 2020, 08:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dquest

Looking for feedback on these units.
Considering purchasing a Wallenstein wp840 Processor, Blacks Creek 1250 processor or an Eastonmade 9-16 splitter with box wedge.
If you have any experience with these Canadian units I'd appreciate some feedback.

WP840 | Firewood Processors | WP800 Series - Trailer | Wallenstein Outdoor Power Equipment
Firewood Processors - Blacks Creek
Eastonmade 9-16 Wood Splitter

New here but lurking a while .
Thanks in advance.

D
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400
Chev 2500 HD /Load Trail/4 Star

Nathan4104

Welcome to the forum!

I have a Blacks Creek 1500.   
I bought it 3rd hand, 15+ years old.  Blacks Creek has been nothing short of amazing in answering a few questions and helping me tweak and make routine repairs.  The unit is built to last. 
I've only seen videos of the 1250, it looks like a neat unit but for speed you'd need something a bit more capable.  
I do ~150 cords per year, some deliveries and some on site for customers and this 1500 fits the bill for me. 
The only downside is you need a separate conveyor, as you would with the other units as well.  Getting the wood away is as important as getting it to you.  I have no experience with the other units and expect them to be excellent as well but I've had nothing but great help from Blacks Creek and only very minor, typical wear and tear on the machine itself. 
Depending on the size of your typical wood, (treelength, 8', 16'...) would likely help make a decision. 

dquest

Thanks for the info. They are 15 mins from me and I've been in contact with them to go see a unit. I am hoping that the 1250 can be fit with an adjustable 4 way as the 1500 is too much money for me for what I do.  Which is heat our home and some custom stuff for people with the other toys I have :)
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400

Wallys World

I have a Wallenstein wp840. I use a Stihl MS440 as the saw on it. 

I have both a 4 and 6 way wedge.

This photo is before I had the conveyor. This load was done by myself in 2 1/2 hours.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

dquest

Thanks for the post. What are the pros/cons ? Would you go to a hydraulic bar instead next time ?

Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400

Wallys World

I really don't think I would go with a hydraulic bar. It seems that you end up ramming it thru the wood instead of letting the chain cut it. I also like it because you can sharpen it quick and do the saw maintenance off the machine. You can set up another saw to be ready to go in. It also can take 22" diameter wood, most of the same price range can only do around 14". The only bad thing I have encountered so far is small diameter wood, say around 6 inches. It is hard to get it thru using the cable on the winch. I am designing a drive motor to handle the smaller stuff.

This is what I mostly run thru it.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Wallys World

dquest

Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400

Tin Horse

dquest. Your must almost be a neighbor. I'm currently running a Bell 1000 processor. The smallest of their models. I've also owned the Eastonmade splitter; also good. ( same family). Also looked at Blacks Creek processors. Your welcome to stop in and take a look. 
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

dquest

Hey Thanks Tin Horse,

The Bell is out of my price range. I don't do alot and am sure folks will say juts get a splitter from a box store and I'm sure they are right. However, we are busy on the farm and I'm willing to spend more on a single person operation to be efficient.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the BC you looked at as they are the closest to me ( 15 mins ).
Guess it's really between rounds and 8' logs.

Thanks for the offer, if you could pm me with some contact info , I'd like to pop over if you are close. Would be sometime mid oct I'd guess before I get serious. Still trying to get either company to get back to me.
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400

dquest

Quote from: Tin Horse on September 21, 2020, 07:28:06 PM
dquest. Your must almost be a neighbor. I'm currently running a Bell 1000 processor. The smallest of their models. I've also owned the Eastonmade splitter; also good. ( same family). Also looked at Blacks Creek processors. Your welcome to stop in and take a look.
A quick hands on review for those interested.

Saw the 1250 really nice homeowner machine. Hydraulic saw easy to remove bar and chain. Bar stop so you dont hit the log tray with the chain.

Single speed pump and can only cut or split not both. 4 way wedge is adjustable only by hand .

The 1500 model ( next one up from the base 1250 ) has conveyor feed, adjustable wedge via lever, 4 sec faster and can cut and split at same time. Difference is 5k though.

Very nice unit and since I work alone the log lift and extension to push cut pieces into my dump trailer is ideal.
Will come in around 10.5k cdn with 13 hp Honda engine and electric start.

Ran the unit and it was very instinctive right away.
Will be ordering if the financing is right.
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400

dquest

Quote from: dquest on September 16, 2020, 08:59:49 PM
Looking for feedback on these units.
Considering purchasing a Wallenstein wp840 Processor, Blacks Creek 1250 processor or an Eastonmade 9-16 splitter with box wedge.
If you have any experience with these Canadian units I'd appreciate some feedback.

WP840 | Firewood Processors | WP800 Series - Trailer | Wallenstein Outdoor Power Equipment
Firewood Processors - Blacks Creek
Eastonmade 9-16 Wood Splitter

New here but lurking a while .
Thanks in advance.

D

New Blacks Creek 1250 custom is finally here. They added a lever to make the wedge adjustable ( the 1250 normally comes with manual pin adjustment ). They also added a transition piece ( not shown ) to bring the out feed side up to 26" so it will load right into my dump trailer.
Upgrades other than above: Log lift, Honda 390GX , Electric start.
Luna is the shop supervisor and has approved the purchase.
So far my 30-40 mins splitting by hand turned into 5 mins!!!
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

cutterboy

Nice going dquest. That should take care of you for many years.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nathan4104

Glad you got a machine and updated us on your progress!  Looks like a great machine and will serve you well!! 

dquest

Quote from: Nathan4104 on February 26, 2021, 09:50:16 AM
Glad you got a machine and updated us on your progress!  Looks like a great machine and will serve you well!!
Thanks, way better than  splitting by hand and the addition of the adjustable wedge with a lever is great.
Sheldon and Stephanie have been fantastic to deal with.
Highly recommended. 
Blacks Creek - Firewood Processors & Forestry Equipment
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400

hedgerow

dquest
Looks to be a solid machine. Enjoy that new {TOY} I mean tool. 

Tin Horse

Looks good! The best part about the purchase is these guys will stand behind it.
Congratulations.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

dquest

Quote from: Tin Horse on February 26, 2021, 05:12:43 PM
Looks good! The best part about the purchase is these guys will stand behind it.
Congratulations.
Yes they will for sure .
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400

sum1

I have a Wallenstein WP840. current model is WP845 I believe they only added slots in the loading panels between the models. They offer 5 year warranty for personal use which I thought was very good. I have only had 2 issues so far the choke cable needed to be replaced when I first received it I'm guessing it got pinched in transport or something however I could not see any actual damage. I also had to recenter the spool on the winch after about 10-15 hours of use it had walked itself over on the shaft and would no longer free spool.

If your going to process long logs this is the machine for you. If your looking at 8' logs go with something else unless you fabricate some sort of custom infeed. As mentioned by some other posters this is the cheapest machine available that will process big wood. I have put Oak logs thru the machine that a 24" bar would not cut completely from the saw holder. The winch is amazing if your cutting and processing full trees in the bush.

dquest

Thanks for the input. I picked up the blacks creek 1250 last week. 
Husqvarna 565
Stihl MS250
Kubota L3400

Thank You Sponsors!