The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: splitter opinoins  (Read 2148 times)

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: splitter opinoins
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 04:44:21 PM »
I really like the Eastonmade Ultra. If Andrew could incorporate a log lift he probably couldn't keep up with orders. He has done much in a short time advancing splitters. I hope his taking on the Bells processors doesn't cause him to loose interest in splitters. 

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 05:46:13 PM »
For what I do, I'd want the speed of the smaller cylinder. Too many people go with a splitter that will split the biggest ugliest hardwood crotch they can find, when those are such a small part of what you'll probably end up splitting. Half the time they're not worth the fight anyhow. Watch the videos on the Eastonmade Ultra, they split some stuff that is ugly enough, and I believe they use a 3.5" cylinder.
I couldn't agreed with this more. I split most of the 15 cord of hedge and locust that I burn a year with a homemade splitter with a four inch cylinder and a 28 GPM two stage pump. I like the speed over the strength of a five or six inch cylinder. 

Offline jmur1

• Full Member x2
  • Wood is King
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2021, 06:14:03 PM »
Hi trapper:

I have not used any of those heavy build splitter units but I can say from my own processor the multiwedge adjustability is absolutely necessary for my logs.   I have noted that the Eastonmade units have several things that I would include with my splitter (when I make a new one).  

1. Adjustable wedge.
2. Log chunk sits above beam (raised bed) so that adjustable down is possible without clearing previous splits.
3. 1st wedge angled upward so not to drive the chunk down into beam and therefore driving wedge up.
4. Chunk centering so hands can stay clear of operation if desired.
5. Heavy build for real world use.
6. Heavy hydraulic wedge - I have seen alot of damage to these parts and can only imagine how quick some of the lighter units would be ripped apart.

Good luck
jmur1

Easy does it

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2021, 06:18:52 PM »
My processor has a 4" cylinder.  Seldom do I come across pieces that can't be split :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Online trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2021, 10:31:19 PM »
Good point barbender but no need for speed at my age.  But then again I help a lady split wood that sells campfire wood.  Her deceased husband made a splitter using a vw engine and a 6 or 7 inch cylinder.  He used a single stage pump.  It has about twice the cycle time as my 37 ton box store splitter that has 5 or 6 hp engine.  Times I have to be careful not to stall the engine on her machine.   
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline Ed

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2021, 11:26:09 PM »
Timberwolf TW-5 here, log lift and adjustable 4 way wedge. It's old enough it has the auto-cycle also.

Very pleased with it, been a trouble free machine.

Ed

Offline gasman1075

• Full Member x2
  • I'm lucky
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2021, 09:59:21 AM »
I agree I had the same luck with all my Timberwolf splitters.

Just a TW1 for now and the immediate future. 
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2021, 12:37:08 PM »
There are a lot rumblings and complaints about the new ownership at TW. I haven't really heard from any Bruteforce owners, I've seen nary a complaint from Wolfe Ridge and Eastonmade customers. 
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2021, 06:50:34 PM »
Andrew says he has some new things on the horizon for splitters and the extra room at the Bells location will help him cut down on lead times.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
    • Elite Concrete Raising Co.
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2021, 11:46:46 PM »
Here's my Wolf Ridge 35 high output.  I upgraded to the auto cycle, electric start Honda, and 6 way wedge.  Comes with the 4 way, so I have both.  Hydraulic log lift and wedge up/down are game changers, and so is the 8 second cycle time.  5" cylinder, 4" heavy duty ram.  The return stroke is super fast, and if I stage my logs, or have a helper (which I do), I can split 3 cords an hour.

This is a true 35 ton machine.  I split a lot of HUGE nasty tree service wood, and this thing is incredible.  Nothing it can't split.

The other half of the log lift is in the "Stow" position for towing.  Awesome machine.  I split 31 cords of firewood in January this year alone.  Very happy with it.  Well worth the money.

I'd also recommend staying away from the chinese Rugged Made machines, if you want to actually work it hard.  A friend bought one, against my warnings, and is having all kinds of trouble with it.  There's a reason it's so cheap, and that's because every component on it is as cheapo as you can get.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2021, 11:35:18 AM »
i spy a milwaukee milling machine.  8)
Psalm 37:16

Offline Chipmeister

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2021, 04:40:38 PM »
I'd also recommend staying away from the chinese Rugged Made machines, if you want to actually work it hard.  A friend bought one, against my warnings, and is having all kinds of trouble with it.  There's a reason it's so cheap, and that's because every component on it is as cheapo as you can get.
Can you please give details about the "all kinds of trouble" your friend is having? 

There is a huge price difference between your 35 which is probably about $17,000 (with lift, adjustable wedge and 6 way) and the ruggedmade which is $4,000 (delivered). My demand is very different. My annual splitting will be about 15 cords per years vs your 30 cords per month or whatever it averages.  

I am 100% on board with Buying American, and do whenever it's possible given all factors. I'm looking at USA made steel toed boots right now. I can find those. However, when any of us need or want to buy a new TV, that is going to be a tough job!

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2021, 11:17:45 PM »
i spy a milwaukee milling machine.  8)
Kearney and Trecker Model 2K, universal horizontal with the 5:3 ratio high speed universal head.  It's a dandy.  They don't make em' like that anymore.

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2021, 11:33:59 PM »
Chipmeister

My 35 HO was $10,500, and I got a discount for paying cash cash.  I don't know if there have been price increases (probably should since he's 6 months out on orders), but the price list is posted on the website.

I am not gonna spend any time discussing a chinese made machine.  He's getting rid of his, as he's sick and tired of it not functioning correctly. Probably gonna lose $1500 or so selling it. I won't help him fix it, as I warned him not to buy it in the first place.  I do a LOT of machining and repair work in my shop, and I don't work on chinese machines.  Buy quality, and cry once.  

I know he tried using it like a commercial machine should be used.....all day long, and he got the hydraulic fluid wayyyyyy too hot because they designed it poorly with that 12 gallon rated hydraulic reservoir, which really is going to hold only 9 to 10 gallons.  The heat probably damaged the seals on his components....don't know for sure, but that's what his problems stem from.  chinese junk.....

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2021, 11:35:01 AM »
i spy a milwaukee milling machine.  8)
Kearney and Trecker Model 2K, universal horizontal with the 5:3 ratio high speed universal head.  It's a dandy.  They don't make em' like that anymore.
i had to look that name up.. now i realize that the machine i recall wasn't a milwaukee brand, it was a Kearney and Trecker "milwaukee" model.   interesting past time the industrial revolution was.  definitely defined much of the northeast. 
Psalm 37:16

Offline Arctiva

• Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2021, 12:01:37 PM »
I use a 30" warrior on the bobcat. Paid 2k for splitter I sit in the cab and push a button. I can stack and split at the same time. I tried a 4 way wedge but was like campfire wood and alot of waste so stuck with the single wedge.

At 44 years old I'm trying to work smarter and dont want all the extra handling of the wood. Alot of the wood I handle is 24"+ around so made sense to get bobcat splitter since I had a bobcat already 

Offline cutterboy

• Senior Member x2
  • Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2021, 07:01:49 AM »

At 44 years old I'm trying to work smarter 
OMG Arctiva, you are so old!  :D :D  I wish I could throw wood around now like I could when I was 44. :-\
But seriously Arctiva, you are smart to take care of your back now because you'll still want to use it when you're 72.

Online trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2021, 09:06:25 PM »
Wife and I drove up to look at the wolfe ridge splitters in person.  Put a deposit on a 28 pro.  looks great now to wait until the end of june for it.  The desk chris uses is made from a big slab.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2021, 12:04:48 PM »
Wife and I drove up to look at the wolfe ridge splitters in person.  Put a deposit on a 28 pro.  looks great now to wait until the end of june for it.  The desk chris uses is made from a big slab.
I think you will like your new {TOY} tool. It will give you something to look forward to and get your mine on this weather. June will be here before you know it. 

Online trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2021, 11:19:33 AM »
Wish  i had the new splitter with log lift tree trimmer left a load of honey locust with some butt peices over 30 inches across.  Cut them down some with chainsaw but still heavy to resplit.  Also some black walnut butt cuts that big.  Any black walnut over 4 foot long I will make into lumber.  New splitter should be here by end of june.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Rugged Split 37 ton splitter/splitter suggestions?

Started by jbos333 on Firewood and Wood Heating

14 Replies
Last post November 14, 2014, 08:57:15 AM
by ckhenshaw4
xx
Hand powered log splitter, the Smar-Splitter??

Started by Chuckolicious on Firewood and Wood Heating

14 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 01:50:09 PM
by Ernie
xx
need help with splitter

Started by outlawcowboy on Firewood and Wood Heating

39 Replies
Last post January 07, 2015, 11:19:26 PM
by Oliver1655
xx
Log Splitter