iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buttergate!

Started by dgdrls, February 25, 2021, 07:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Foodies are pointing to palm fat added to feed which is making for "hard" butter
I can certainly believe changes in feed will change the milk.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-dairy-farmers-palm-fat-hard-butter-1.5927559

D

Southside

Cows are supposed to eat grass, that's all ours do and we sell our butter for $10 / lb. The industry will never figure it out. I still remember my text books with formulas for how much broiler litter to mix into your ration.

The commodity players treat livestock like garbage disposals and wonder why their products are garbage.

Sewage and municipal waste water applied to crops, spent distillers grain fed to cattle, slop to hogs. 

Food in the supermarket isn't really food anymore. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Roxie

I read the article about Canadians complaining about that, and I admit to being confused about their conclusions.

When I was growing up, my grandfather had a tobacco farm in the mountains in North Carolina, it had no electric no indoor plumbing and we relied on one cow to make butter.  Salt was never added to that butter so it was completely nothing but skimmed off cream. Today I buy butter made exactly the same way from my Amish neighbor who has four cows contributing to the product and again no salt. It's identical to my childhood butter and some people don't like that it doesn't melt easily. The incredible taste overrides the fact that I need to set out the portion to soften that  I'll be using.  

There were no additives in the feed of any the cows mentioned above. Strictly grass fed with hay supplements during the months off pasture.

Admittedly, I know nothing about how butter is prepared for market purposes, but "real" butter that I'm familiar with, isn't the pretty sticks that soften to near liquid today.

Say when

Dan_Shade

I always enjoyed fresh milk after the cows got into the garlic patch....

You may have to experience it to understand it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Roxie

Wild onions in the spring can give you the same surprise. 

Doing some research on commercial butter informed me that it is pasteurized.

I prefer my milk and my butter raw. 

Say when

Ricker

My grandfather did the same and made our butter. He had a couple of butter moulds that were kinda of like ice cube trays. Made cubes about an inch and a half square, he take one or two out every morning to soften up.  Not to mention all the great stuff he made with the buttermilk.  Haven't thought of that in 30 years at least.  Thanks for the memory.

Dan something tells me that garlic milk is an acquired taste.  First thought is that may bring back memories of grabbing the milk jug out the refrigerator and taking a swig of milk that had sour in the rearview mirror. steve_smiley

kantuckid

I like butter but my stents don't. :(
I use fake spray butter that's labeled as zero calories up to 5 sprays. It may be made from ground up old plastic water bottles, who knows? Olive oil is our mainstay oil when we cook. My wife uses real butter to cook so i get some bad fats, not much really. She uses the combo spread made from butter and added stuff with the cute Indian lady on it.
Remebering when they had magarine stores in some stateline locations.  And the margarine sold in the 1940's when I was a kid that was a big white block of vegetable fat with a pouch of paprika coloring that you mixed into it to have yellow margarine in your bowl.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Southside

That margarine was still white in the '90s in Quebec, not sure about today. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

K-Guy

Most of the places I have been in Canada have margarine that is a pale yellow, with some brands dying it to look like butter.

When I moved to Maine my wife and her family used the word butter but meant margarine. Recently my wife has been converted to butter since she found what margarine is made of. I've been much happier since.  ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Raider Bill

I remember the state mandated signs in restaurants that said they serve margarine
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Corley5

More than one dairy farmer had his milk dumped after his cows got into a patch of leeks/ramps in the spring :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Southside

Kale will do the same thing. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

Up here your not even allowed a trace of antibiotic or hormone in cow's milk. But I believe to, it's what they are eating. My grandmother made butter for 60 years, and she salted her butter because it was always in the cupboard. Real butter softens in a heated room, but not in a pool of oil. Was all from grass fed cattle and any supplement was just a mash they called it and sometimes had molasses in it, used in winter. Not everyone can make good butter. It also requires a good Jersey or Guernsey cow to make the best butter. My grandmother, figured out a long time ago that Holstein cream didn't make as good butter. All dairies here are Holstein cows you might as well say.

Make your own. ;D

https://www.shenandoahhomesteadsupply.com/collections/all/products/electric-butter-churn-2-6-gallon-capacity
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

There was a news article here a few days back about a NZ lady getting grief on her online cooking channel, because the butter she was using was "too yellow". People overseas thought it was fake or edited. Looked like regular NZ / Irish and probably Southside's grass fed product. 

The yellow is beta-carotene from fresh plant material (grass) and gets carried in the fat the cows milk, As butter is mostly fat, the orange carotene is concentrated there. If the cows are fed grain / meal or other dry foods they don't get much carotene, and their milk fat lacks that pigment. 

NZ margarine is coloured yellow to make it look more like the local butter. Food Colour 160a is carotene (usually extracted from carrots), so basically the same chemical that makes the butter yellow.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Jersey butter was more yellow than Holstein actually and grandmother observed that during dandelion season (June up here) the butter was it's most yellow. My mom made Holstein butter and it was much lighter in color, barring dandelion season. I've seen butter churns, butter presses to make the 1 lb bricks, butter tray and paddles for washing it. I grew up around a master butter maker. Grandmother sold butter for years. :D

She said her mother in law (my great grandmother) didn't know about using the cream warm to make butter, and  great grandmother would churn that cold cream for a long time before it turned. Most likely by then it warmed up. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Southside

I would bet it had more to do with what those cows were eating than their family heritage.  Most Holsteins are fed a TMR (Total Mixed Ration) which is high in soy and corn.  They don't have great butter fat to begin with and their diet is targeted for total production over butter fat content.  Jerseys tend to be fed more grass, or grass sileage / baleage, giving them more chlorophyll intake which is what gives you the nice yellow color to the butter, same as yellow eggs on pasture raised chickens.  Incidentally, pasture raised and finished beef will have a similar yellow fat along with pasture raised meat chickens.  

Monday I need to go to Richmond and pick up some equipment that finally arrived which will enable me to feed our baleage to our chickens and pelletize our chicken feed.  My belief is that this will give me a longer growing season for our broilers and reduce overall feed cost in the winter for layers while producing a better egg than we do now.   
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

There is a visible difference between Jersey and Holstein milk that's there even if they are grazed the same. It's even noticeable in their meat as sometimes a Jersey X Hereford or Angus calf winds up in the beef calves if their markings look OK. They don't grow as big and bulk out like the Holstien X, and their fat has a more yellow colour. Still good eating though.

So diet AND genetics would be factors. A Holstein fed mostly grass will make yellow butter, but not as yellow as a Jersey. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Southside

I am going to disagree with your last statement as I have a few Holsteins in my herd, and they eat the same as the Jerseys, they don't make yellow butter.  I breed them to Jerseys which gives me a good, but black, Ho-Jo, F1 calf, cross that back over to an Ayrehere or a Shorthorn, and  then back to a Jersey, so a four way cross ends up giving me more milk a higher BF than a straight Jersey, with a red or tan and white hide, which I need in the summer, and good frame size.

Your Holsteins are really Fresiens, they look the same as our Holsteins but are very different from a production stand point.  I know a guy with a cheese business that milks them, almost bought some a couple of years back but they were all dry when i needed cows in milk so it didn't work, but that would be some welcomed blood lines for sure.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Southside on January 28, 2023, 09:04:19 PM
I would bet it had more to do with what those cows were eating than their family heritage.    
No, her cows and ours all grazed on grass. But yes the dandelion influnced color and both herds ate that, no one sprayed dandelions on pastures around here. And we had all kinds of it, just like grandmother's herd. Pastured all day between milk times. The reason most dairies are Holstein is because of milk volume. Grandmother's Jersey butter was most certainly darker than Holstein and Jersey yields more cream by volume. And her cows and ours all ate good timothy hay in the off season. Dad grew good hay, and him and grandfather had a hay business. At grandmother's, my uncle looked after the cows like pets and my uncle fed them all good timothy from the Perry bothers.

Grandmother's words to mother, 'you can't make good butter from Holsteins'. :D     It was good butter but pale stuff. I ate it and survived, still eating it. ;) I've seen the evidence on which is more yellow and the influence of dandelions, so that's all I need to say about it.

Grandmother here is mom's mother. Grandfather here is dad's father. Uncle here is mom's brother.

Here is an article from the Toronto Star about Jersey butter. ;) And they show 1 lb of butter from the creamery in the article, it is more yellow, no doubt about it. I'm using Holstein butter here on the table and it is not even close.
Butter is back: Chefs and foodies seek out Ontario artisans who are crafting cultured, compound and flavoured butters | The Star

“'The Jersey breed is superior to the Holstein Friesian in its ability to pass on the beta carotene from the grass it consumes, even during a winter feed program when the cows are fed silage or haylage. This may be partly because of the Jerseys’ milk fat content and profile.' This means that even in winter when cattle are fed a combination of haylage, barley and peas, and not fresh pasture, the colour will still be more vibrantly yellow than other butters."

Ianab

Quote from: Southside on January 28, 2023, 10:14:12 PMYour Holsteins are really Fresiens, they look the same as our Holsteins but are very different from a production stand point.

Possibly different genetics. but we have lots of purebred Holsteins here. (and all sorts of X-breed and Jersey as well). 

I can see why grain fed cows produce a pale low Carotene fat, but the local Holsteins DO produce a yellow butter. Just not as yellow as a Jersey herd with the same grass feed, or chomping dandelions  / carrots etc. 

My father spend years experimenting with the Jersey X Holstein crosses. When he sold up he had one of the best producing herds in the province, and sold the whole herd for good $, A lot of them were that medium size black X cow you mention. The good ones had a test closer to the Jersey, with a volume closer to the Holstein. The ones that were the opposite had a trip to the Golden Arches. 

Does the same thing apply to chicken eggs? Free range eggs are always more yellow, Probably because the chickens snack on some greens, not just dry meal,

Southside

Yup, the more living, green, forage they intake the more chlorophyll they eat, and the eggs get that nice color. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I have no idea what color cows produce the cream but we buy several pounds of Amish butter when we are in Michigan.  That plus Maple syrup, etc.

We slice the butter and freeze it in ~1" sticks and then keep a stick on the kitchen counter in a butter dish.  Spreading soft butter is the way it is meant to be.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!