iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood prices

Started by Yosarian, March 30, 2021, 01:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudfarmer

Hard to get them up, here. Still old farmers, Mennonite, Amish selling for peanuts. Wish I could get those down state prices! Will hope along with you though

GRANITEstateMP

Prices of everything else has gone up, so haven't my wood prices. Quoted, and selling green cords delivered within 10miles, $275
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Mapleman

I'm at 255 a cord, green, delivered locally.  Up from 240 last year.
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

breederman

I just got a message from my guy that his price on log length was going up soon to cover fuel etc. I didn't even ask the current price, just told him to bring a load when he is close.
Together we got this !

jimbarry

Quote from: Mapleman on June 11, 2022, 06:16:13 AM
I'm at 255 a cord, green, delivered locally.  Up from 240 last year.
With conversion to USD, we're selling for US$225 a cord, green with local delivery within 20 miles and not one phone call all year. Reason likely being others are selling for US$175-$195 delivered. Fuel prices doubled since last year. I don't know how they are operating each year like that.
We do sell seasoned for USD$235 and have a few customers, but it's definitely not steady work.

Al_Smith

I haven't sold it in years .I will however say I don't get a cord done as fast as I used to .My once two cords a day has dropped off to maybe a half cord and then not every day .It's a lot of work you know .

Corley5

I'm at $85 a face cord or $255 a standard cord if you prefer ;) :)  and selling wood every day.  I'm not keeping as many of those dollars in my pocket as I did a very short while ago.  I got cut by another producer on 10 and 20 face cord orders in the same neighborhood.  He's going to sell it to them for $70 a face/$210 a standard cord.  More power to him and good for the consumers 8) 8)  According to my long standing formula I should be closer to $90/$270 as my selling point.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

Yep, let him work himself out of business🤷‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

rjwoelk

Our supplier is 4 hrs 1 way from us, by the time its all said and done, we are getting $ 230 for a 1/3 cord vented bag, this includes bag cost, taxes.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Jimpa

Firewood is like money in the bank, hang on to it until January and it will be seasoned and the price will be significantly higher with very little competition. I don't even want to advertise firewood until January 1st. Working that hard plus the cost of equipment required demands a higher price. The guys that give it away are all out if wood at the first of the year. I try to sell small lots of wood for a reasonable price to my customers and myself.

GRANITEstateMP

I worked up and delivered 2 cord @ $265ea yesterday (quoted them 3 weeks ago for that price), and have 2 more to do today, then all my quoted cords, except a neighbor, are $275.  In the end, I'm charging more and making the same, maybe a bit less than last year, my price is up, but so isn't every cost I have.  I don't advertise, and I'm not really taking on new customers.  
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

B.C.C. Lapp

I know what I'm charging in my campfire wood racks. That's easy.   But I'm still unsure about my price for delivered cords or pickup loads this year. I really don't start pushing those till around Oct.   I need to be averaging $240 a cord no matter what form its sold in.  That's what I need to average out to.    Not sure I can get that when there are guys still selling $200 cords. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Bncyom33

I have to give credit to the guys who process cordwood for a living. I live up in the Northeast and burn primarily for heat. I can't really afford to buy wood by the cord so I will get a picker load every year and a half. I know the amount of time and energy I put into processing it I don't personally think that one cord of wood is sitting at a fair price to begin with. Meaning it should be more. Then to have to pay somebody for labor to help on top of all the other expenses that go into it I don't know how you guys do it. 
Jonsereds 70e, CS2152,Stihl MS360, Poulan 655 Bp, poulan 3700 and a 25ton splitter

sum1

I buy most of my logs for $160-200/cord and process/sell split wood $275 for softwood and $400-425 for hardwood. Even at these prices I can't quit my day job or hire help. hoping to move 600-800 full cord this year just me and the gf.

B.C.C. Lapp

600 to 800 cords? Holy smokes thats a lot of wood.    Where are you operating Sum?

Spike60

How about this price: My folks got their "lock in" price for heating oil yesterday. Last year it was $2.39; this year it is $5.49. That's nuts, but prices like that for conventional fuels, (guessing propane will be similar) will put pressure on the firewood market. Both in price and supply.

"Firewood John" was in yesterday buying supplies and he says his orders are going crazy for this early in the year. His cost for log length is going up, so that has to be passed on. But he's more worried about a shortage and doesn't think he's going to be able to keep up with demand. He's shrinking his delivery radius and not taking new customers.

Don't see how anyone can hold to firewood prices from 10 years ago, but there are still "beer money" sellers out there who try to do that.   
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

barbender

Sum1 I honestly can't see how you are moving 600-800 cords a year and having a job too. That's around 12-15 cords a week?🤔
Too many irons in the fire

mudfarmer

Spike I am small time but selling at $225-$240 green competing with people selling at $150. Having an army of kids that don't go to school sure helps some folks. I don't think it is for beer money  :D

I would like to buy every stick they can make and then resell but have heard the quality is poor or wildly variable. All I can do is make a good product and not fight for the kind of customer that would buy junk for cheap. 

A big outfit asked about log length and said it is getting hard to keep up with orders, demand is through the roof.

hedgerow

Quote from: Spike60 on June 16, 2022, 07:28:06 AM
How about this price: My folks got their "lock in" price for heating oil yesterday. Last year it was $2.39; this year it is $5.49. That's nuts, but prices like that for conventional fuels, (guessing propane will be similar)

Last month we got news letter for our Farmers Cooperative. They are very large. You could lock in LP for $1.95 for full paid gallons or for $2.01 for .20 cent down payment. Price was only good to June 15. I was surprised at the price as I paid $2.50 last fall to have my tank topped off. I did get a .25 discount for cash. I don't plan on using any more than my clothes drier takes as long as the Garn doesn't start leaking. No fuel oil in my area its LP, natural and electric. Where I grew up my folks sold a lot of number one fuel for heating and we sold LP too. LP has taken that area over too. 

beenthere

Not having location in profile, we don't know where hedgerow speaketh from .   Easy to click on user name and update the profile with some location info. 
thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Spike60

mudfarmer; I talked with one of the log length suppliers yesterday. Working against the firewood side of the equation is that timber prices are pretty good right now. Hard maple, red oak, and he's in some clear, bug free ash right now. Makes a difference when sorting as anything that can be graded as timber is obviously worth more than in the firewood pile. Still runs firewood every evening though to his regulars.

Some guys are also selling 2 grades of firewood logs. If you gotta have nice staight logs for a processor, you're going to pay a little more for it. If you're working with chainsaws and can deal with some ugly stuff, you can get a deal.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

woodroe

Saw an ad on CL nearby, $275 a cord for green cut slit delivered, $350 for seasoned .
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Al_Smith

I have to be a little amused no longer selling the stuff anymore .That was decades ago during another so called "energy crisis " and a resurgence of wood burning .I only cut my own which I might add now  have the machinery to make it easier than in those days I wore a younger mans clothes .Splitting as all done  with a five pound axe in those days .
These days I have nothing to prove as far as making money and work at my own pace only gathering 1/2 a cord maybe 3 times a week .I certainly don't need to it's just I have a abundance of it all within 500 feet of the stacks .
With the EAB thing taking a swath 20 feet wide and 250 feet long I will have the 4-5 cords I need just from the dead fall and some snags on maybe 60 feet .That section of woods is over 600 feet deep .At that rate it will take me 5-6 or more  years to get through it .The standing dead I'll get to eventually because they won't stand forever .It's mostly ash which is still hard as a rock and dry as a bone .Some of the best .6 to 10 inches ,only needs halved or quartered and only requires a small saw . I will say though on rock hard stuff on the ground  even with Stihl RS chain it does requires more use of the file .However I am rather good at it so its not a big deal .  

rjwoelk

We just got notice that our fuel surcharge will be going up to 38% on the wood side and 28% on the delivery side.
That makes for a price list announcement on the surcharge,  and will put our price at $250 per 1/3 cord picked up in the yard. No  complaint yet. Most folks around here are using it for back yard fires or at the lake.
I suspect they spend that in booze in a weekend, while ripping about on a $30,000 or more boat.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: rjwoelk on June 22, 2022, 12:16:26 AM. No  complaint yet. Most folks around here are using it for back yard fires or at the lake.
I suspect they spend that in booze in a weekend, while ripping about on a $30,000 or more boat.
Gotta love the rich people.  They buy what we produce.   Hope their pockets are deep and wide.

Thank You Sponsors!