iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Processor

Started by Corley5, April 08, 2021, 09:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I've got a wireless remote controlled valve in mind to operate the deck from the Bobcat.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mike_belben

Quote from: Corley5 on April 19, 2021, 08:31:39 AM
I've got a wireless remote controlled valve in mind to operate the deck from the Bobcat.
a $15 amazon winch remote will give you a 100+ ft range on 2 different triggered positive wires to fire in/out on a pad mounted 12v DC solenoid valve.  id find a parker or comparable on ebay personally.   if the solenoid coil needs more juice than the remote box can supply then you can use the remote to toggle a DC reversing contactor.  also very cheap.  once you find your valve the remote part can be done right for about $60.  
i just tore new and old contactors apart and am testing the first of the 2 cheapest chicom remotes i could get for my winch.  extremely pleased so far.  saving 3x as much time by using a remote control makes up for the 1/3 line speed of a real hydraulic or pto winch, but having to walk back a few times if the tong falls off or something needs redirected.  
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Quote from: OH logger on April 19, 2021, 07:05:09 AM
Do you load your processor deck with a knuckleboom?  I load mine with a bobcat and as much as I'd love to have a long deck for when I'm runnin by myself I don't think it'd help much cause I can only reach so far with the skid loader. Mine is 10' I think on the 22/22 and i can just reach to put a log in the trough. I'm sure a guy could push the logs if the deck would be longer but that can be hard on stuff and get the logs wopper jawed. If I have to get in the processor cab to advance the log deck Soni can fill it up I might as well stay in the cab and process the deck. How do you all with long live decks do it? I'm all ears cause I don't process very often by myself but that's mostly because of the short on and off live deck issue
i have contemplated this since i have a forklift with 8ft forks than can really swamp a deck but also like using the bobcat more when its running.  whenever a live deck materializes for me it will be built in a way that the bobcat can drive right up the center all the way to the trough and bracing will be diagonals to the exterior rather than joist bars running across. 
  i guess my biggest concern is not having enough power to move the chains when fully loaded.  i think a truck transmission may find its way in there. 
Praise The Lord

OH logger

That's an idea mike. I've tossed that around also as far as settin a deck up
That way so I can run bobcat down the middle. Just never figured out how to make it work so it's cost efffevtive and easily mobile. I prefer to process with a helper anyways. Doin 4 cord per hour keeps the loader busy especially if I get a log catty wompas in the trough 👎🏿
john

Corley5

Oiled the chains, greased the bearings, added couplers to the hoses, plugged them into the tractor and it works 8) 8).  Tight, quiet, reversible, I let it run a while both ways to work the oil into the chains.  The motor was off the other deck and needs hoses.  It is loose and clean oil came out of it.  I have to clean up the shafts to reinstall it and get a couple hoses.  That's for another day.  Thinking about power, controls, and plumbing for them now.  I've got firewood to process ;) ;D :)

Corley5

Same drill with the little deck.  Same results 8) 8) 8)  Supposed to be warmer tomorrow and I need to get going on firewood orders.  This project will have to wait for a bit.  I'll deal with climbing on and off the Bobcat for a while longer ;) :) :)  The end of that is in sight thumbs-up surfer-smiley

Corley5

I've been thinking about the fate of the rest of my "New Processor".  I'm for sure keeping the 50hp motor, its pumps, the reservoir and the iron.  I would consider parting with the 150hp motor, its pump, the saw hydraulic motor and other parts to include pillow blocks, shafts and sheaves.  There's much of what's needed to build a slasher style firewood processor.  I'd recommend modern saws ;) :)  I'm still contemplating this.  I could add it all to my hoard which I've actually pared down  8) and would rather not grow ;D :) or part with it to someone who wants to make something out of it.  It'll be added to the collection before it's scrapped.  I've read and understand and agree to the terms of selling items on The Forum and will list stuff in The For Sale Section when the time comes.

GRANITEstateMP

Corley5,

I can test them decks out for ya and get the kinks worked out of them while you saw out your other orders ;D. Best if I test them out on my processor... at my house.  Always willing to help :D

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Corley5

I woulda had it running but the two adapters I needed didn't get in the bag at the hydraulic shop.  That's all that needs to be done.  Other than cutting the backstop down some.  It doesn't need to stick up that high.  Figured I'd better use it since I've got it.  I wasn't going to use it until I moved the machines into the building in the back but that's going to be a while.  Have to run electrical etc. out there.  So I leveled things up, put in a pad and stuffed it in the shed.  Maiden voyage after I get adapters in the AM.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Id bet it takes a mess of horsetorques to pull those chains with that deck fully loaded. 

Do the rollers stick out beyond the chain sideplates or are the sideplates dragging into the troughs?  
Praise The Lord

Corley5

I'm going to find out ;D  The chains drag in the trough.  On my way to the parts house and to pick up a 1,000 red pine plugs because I need something else to do  ::) ;) :D  I'll get it going when I get back :)  Fingers crossed that I've got enough hydraulic power in the processor to pull it.  28 gpm and 24 hp.  It never lacked pulling a third that length ;) :)

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Corley5

It works  8) 8) 8)  It'll pull a full load :)  I loaded it and got off the Bobcat once to advance it.  I think I may be able to load it full without getting off the skid loader once I get a routine down.  Pretty nice to run a 5 face cord load without loading the machine 7 or 8 times ;D :) :)  It's gonna work  ;D ;D

barbender

Awesome! Count me jealous!! I'll be cursing you every face cord today when I get in and out of my skid steer😡😂
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Sign me up for that deal.
Praise The Lord

hedgerow

Corley5  Looks like the new to you live deck is working out nicely. I have wanted one for my homemade processor but any I found were thousand or more miles from me and they wanted good money for them. With me only doing 15-20 cord a year for myself I can live without one. I didn't even use the processor last year as most of the hedge we did was so crooked and smaller it wasn't worth trying to run it threw the processor. 

Corley5

It's working good 8) 8)  I can get it 2/3s full without advancing.  That's working out.  I put that much on and run it which gives me 2/3s of a load on the 550.  I put the same amount on and have a third left when the truck is full.  I can then completely fill it and the next load I don't have to run the Bobcat at all if I don't want to ;D ;D 8) 8) or with a third left I can fill it :) :) :)  The chains and rails are getting some of the 30 or so years of rust polished off and loosening up.  The short deck needs to be installed to serve as a descrambler before the processor.  There's a reason to use both of them.  I'll install it when I move everything into the other building later in the summer.  
 The hydraulic motors are mounted wrong.  They should be below the rails. Where they are a crooked or knotty stick with the crook or knot down catches the motor and messes up the advance.  A definite design flaw.  And for this machine they should be on the opposite side.  Nothing a little time cutting and welding can't fix.  Considering I've got less than $1,200 including fuel into the whole mess of stuff I'm not complaining ;) ;D :) 8) 8) 8)  It works.  I've put over 50 cords of 100" over it.  I've spent way more and ended up with way less :) :)  

Corley5

Before I had to be careful of the building's header with the Bobcat's loader arm's.  Now I have to be careful not to load the deck too tall ;D :D ;D

mike_belben

Pics or it didnt happen!
Praise The Lord

Corley5

Thank You Sponsors!