iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Storage in Shop

Started by metalspinner, August 13, 2021, 12:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

I changed things up a little.  The layout above was confining once I walked around it a while. 
Turning the left unit 90 degrees opened things up a bit. 

Now to start filling it up!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

kantuckid

I got a serious laugh from those boxes of leftovers. At my age and many years of making wood items, I was beginning to be run out of my own shop!
 I ran into this old lady selling her hubbies crafty items at our local farmers mkt last year. It was crudely made from whatever he came onto but beeter to stay busy. I told her I'd give him enough shorts and such to keep him happy for years to come. He comes and two pickup loads later he was very happy. Honestly, he didn't know enough about woods to know what was a good piece or not. he passed on some stuff you would buy elsewhere. 
 For an e.g., I offered him a large pile of turning squares I held onto that ranged from maybe 6" up to 12-16", mostly 2" or 1.5" stuff and all walnut and cherry, etc... He passed on that as said he couldn't think of any use! I asked if he had a lathe and he said yes. 
Lots more room now!!!
My wood rack (built when shop was closed in) it's 6' wide and framed with 4x4's and cross beams to the ceiling and maybe 12' long. Also has an elevated side rack for my chair turning squares stock which I saw off the corners for ease of turning into octagons.
 Another bldg has much more dry wood mostly stacked on ends and leaners.
If I were still into selling crafts I'd easily use my leftovers to make money, but I don't and move on to the next project.  

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

jimbarry

@metalspinner You don't have issues with mold while using those cardboard boxes and wood parts?

metalspinner

No. Mold has not been an issue. This wood is all very dry. 
My shop space is also quite dry.

D6c

Dang....wish I'd seen this post sooner.  That surplus shelving would have been just what I need to store lumber in a shipping container.
Called the company and the whole lot was sold to one buyer.

metalspinner

So for once I was ahead of the market!?! Nice! 🤣🤣🤣

Thank You Sponsors!