iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whata ya do in a blizzard?

Started by Larry, January 16, 2022, 10:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Cold and windy with drizzle this morning so I decided to spend the day in the shop.  Finished off a stool I've been working on.

Got caught up on sharpening bands.

More logs came in to saw but they came on a dump trailer so I didn't have to unload.

Started work on two urns that I've been commissioned to make. 

How old does one need to be to retire and watch soaps all day? :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doc henderson

well larry, it is good you have learned to cope! :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Andries

We have a blizzard forecast for tomorrow.
I hope to be able to cope as well as you Larry.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

aigheadish

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Larry

Yes, those docs are just pretty sharp people! :) :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Larry

This is my driveway to the outside world.  We've had an 1" or 2 of sleet with freezing rain/drizzle on top so it might be a little slick.  No need to venture out, not sure I could make it as slick as it looks.  So another shop day. :)

I'm sawing segments to build a cremation urn for a Doctor friend.  The saw is really a sliding table printers saw that I adapted mainly for cutting angle segments.  I made a vernier miter gauge accurate to a tenth of a degree. 

Segments ready to glue together.

All glued up.  When I get a dozen rings I'll stack them up by gluing them together.  Turn the assembly on the lathe into a vase type shape.  Make a lid and chase some threads so it screws on.

As typical, my buddy was not a bit interested in my woodworking.  Resting in his favorite place.

Old Greenhorn

Very slick! I look forward to seeing this as it progresses. I am wondering how you the inside turning will go. Hey, can you tell us (me anyway) where you got that glue bottle?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

boonesyard

The glue bottle is by Fast Cap, they make a couple different sizes. Woodcraft has them, can get them off Amazon as well.

They work very well, we use ours all the time.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Larry

A link.

GluBot Family - FastCap

They are so popular anymore any woodworking store normally has them. 

Great for some applications, but for others the the original bottle works just as well and a lot cheaper!

doc henderson

I use them as well.  if you have some 16 oz bottles, you can contact tite bond and they will send you some new caps, even in the proper color.  At least they have done it twice for me.  send me about 10 each time.

Old Greenhorn

Well, I looked them up. Pretty cool I think. We don't have woodworking shop suppliers around here, too rural. But I will keep an eye open. I could get them online, and will if I buy something I need from a supplier that has them. I'll check the one local place that might carry them. Probably the titebond bottles work just fine, but I just thought I would give something different a try. I have been saving my bottle since you pointed that out Doc, next purchase is a gallon, which I should have done a while ago, but I'm not that smart. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I also have a rubber glue roller I like especially for spreading glue on the edges of glue ups, Like Bills Cherry may end up being.   :(  

Off site image removed by admin

got this on amazon.  about a 2-inch-wide roller with a pattern that makes the glue even across the length of the edge.

firefighter ontheside

lol @doc henderson I might have to glue 4 boards together to have a 1x6.

I always have a gallon jug of TB and a 16 oz bottle for daily use.  Every so often I buy a new bottle just to have  a new cap.  I did that just a few weeks ago.  I always make sure to leave my gallon jug high up on a shelf in the shop in case the heat gets turned off, my glue won't freeze.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Larry

I've been using this roller for years.  Its a 4" Rollrite Brayer made in the USA.  Available in about any art store such as Hobby Lobby.  The beauty of the roller is you can get a nice even coat which insures good coverage, less squeeze out, fast spread, and I use less glue.  Mostly use it on veneer work, cutting boards, and thick table top glue ups. It also cleans up easily even when I forget to do it until the next day. ???

Although I do use the Glu-Bots I'm also cheap and use 99 cent ketchup bottles from Walmart at times. :D

doc henderson

you know, you could be making MDF!  be glad for what you got! :D :D :D
and yes, if you just leave the glue on it, it all peels off the next day.  I have had mine for years.

aigheadish

Thanks for the pictures of the the urn, @Larry I'm interested in turning segmented pieces, which I've never tried, and those few simple pictures showed me how better than most. When it warms up some in the shop, and I can move some of the extra junk in there out to the barn I'll have to give it a shot. Like OGH I'm interested on the interior turn as well. I've seen videos of it but I still struggle to understand how to get in there well. I'm also a pretty unexperienced turner, with a kind of garbagey HF lathe, but I can't afford a good one yet.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Larry

Quote from: aigheadish on February 25, 2022, 07:49:26 AM
Like OGH I'm interested on the interior turn as well. I've seen videos of it but I still struggle to understand how to get in there well. I'm also a pretty unexperienced turner, with a kind of garbagey HF lathe, but I can't afford a good one yet.
Turning the inside is easy......if you do it in two pieces and glue it back together.  I have done it the hard way but I have to set up my big old heavy steady rest.

Pictures should explain the process.

Once I have it glued together I turn the outside a little more to refine the shape and clean it up.  Wall thickness is normally 1/4" to 3/8" but its not critical like with a green hollow form.

I have one more ring to make for the top.  This ring will have hand chased threads for the plug.  Chasing threads is an art and I don't do it much so I sometimes mess up.  If I screw up the threads on a ring its no big deal but if I screw up threads on a complete urn it becomes a problem.

After the top is done it will go to the cnc laser guy.

Don't knock your HF lathe, especially for segmented work.  One of the best segmenters I know uses a HF lathe.

rusticretreater

Nice segmented vase.  I do a bit of turning myself.  I have a Oneway 4236 which I just recently bought from an old fella who downsized.  I glue up half rings, and knock the inside corners off on the bandsaw, and then glue up the ring.  Its not so grabby when you turn the inside and much less stressful to work with.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

aigheadish

God bless experience! I'd have never (or at least for a long time!) thought to make it in two halves. I can turn the inside of a bowl reasonably well, I can't (I don't think) so much with a curvy-innerd vase. Good stuff! 

I need to do some more work on the HF lathe, I had some trouble getting the centers to be centered across the whole thing but I just learned some stuff that may help. 

Larry

Quote from: rusticretreater on February 26, 2022, 10:25:43 PM
I have a Oneway 4236 which I just recently bought from an old fella who downsized.
The Oneway 2436 in my opinion is the best lathe out there, especially for turning big stuff on the outboard side.  I've demoed on one several times at a craft school.  Some day I'll have one.

Tonight I made the top ring for the urn.  I hand chased the female threads for the lid that will screw on.  I made the tool I used to chase the threads but you can buy them.  I soak the threads in ca glue and they become pretty hard.

aigheadish

Is thread making just putting the tool in there and dragging back? I've never seen that done.

Holy crap, I've never seen that Oneway, it's a beast! 

Larry

Took the urn to my friend/neighbor/craftsman a few days ago and picked it up this morning.  He lasered some writing in the maple trim ring and put the Dentistry symbol on the top lid.  I think excellent work and a more than fair price of $30....I also tipped.

My Dentist friend was born to a dirt poor single mom in Arkansas.  Got trained by the Army to be a Dentist during WW-ll.  War ended about the time he graduated from school.  Had a distinguished career as a Dentist.  Made me feel good to be chosen to make a urn for his ashes.  Fitting that the wood for the urn came from close to where he was born.

caveman

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 24, 2022, 07:53:44 PMEvery so often I buy a new bottle just to have  a new cap.

A mustard bottle cap fits the Tightbond glue containers just right and they have a nice snap cap.  I don't use mustard but some of my family does.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!