iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting To Build A New Router Sled

Started by 21incher, March 06, 2022, 11:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Those are some of the cutters I was originally  looking into but most of them come setup  for MDF spoilboards and you also have to buy a set of inserts for wood that are over $30.00 each pushing them over $300.00 with tax. I am looking  at a Chinese  2 inch 3 wing version for $70.00 that uses standard  14mm carbide that I have extra  boxes of for my jointer and planer. Just don't  know how good they work. Guess there's only one way to find out.That's the only way I can keep the total cost of this toy under the 1k I am shooting  for. I found the 2 inch whiteside bit to be the max size I could run on the 3hp spindle  on my cnc router.  I actually was able to stall it out at a 1/4 inch cut in ash and luckily  the over current on my y drive shut down movement before any damage  occurred because I don't  have my VFD fault wired into the Masso.   
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Crusarius

Which Masso do you have? I almost bought one of those before I found the DDCS

21incher

I am using the Masso g3 Mill/ Router 4 axis. They are awesome controllers that have great support. Just plug in a monitor and a USB keyboard/mouse. Very easy to set up and calibrate with wireless support for loading code or just plug in a USB thumb drive. I see they now have one with the built in touchscreen. They provide updates and feature upgrades that users ask for. I could never go back to Mach3. I like how easy it was to set up probing and tool change probing along with enough inputs for my needs and easy pendent implementation. I bought the 4 axis version but for a couple dollars in software it can be upgraded to 5 axis. Not cheap and takes a week to get from Australia but I feel it was well worth it.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Crusarius

Yea, I was really into the Masso g3 touch. comes with 15" touch screen. great for aging eyes. but 1300 I think was the final price.

I like the idea of upgrading to 5 axis cause I do want rotary one day.

Don P

For finding high spots, can it just be a laser or whatever beaming down the length of the slab just in front of the cutter, looking down the next path. If the beam is interrupted that line is cut. If the beam makes it to an eye at the far end, then the carriage travels until the beam is broken by the next high spot where it initiates the code to run a line and then look down the length again.

Crusarius

Don, that's a brilliant idea. I never thought of doing it that way. Thanks :)

21incher

Finally almost complete. First cuts were amazing and 99% of the chips and dust are captured by my dust collector. Now just a couple things to button up and this fall hopefully I will get the arduino programing figured out to go auto.
Building An Auto Flattening Router Sled Part 2 - YouTube

Crusarius

Nice. Once you get that arduino setup your not going to know what to do with yourself :)

aigheadish

Wow! So clean! Amazing dust collection job, not to mention all your tools completely sellable! Man, good work!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Jeff

Enjoyed the video as always! That build is way beyond me even if my mind still worked the way it use to.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

21incher

Thanks guys. I will tell you I struggled with this. This covid brain fog is so frustrating to deal with.  I made many  mistakes that had to be fixed and learned to just walk away when the frustration  starts. It feels  really  good to have made it this far and know  things can only get better from here on out. Loosing  the ability  to think logically  and do simple things like math in your  head really stinks. 

Quote from: aigheadish on April 14, 2022, 02:57:33 PM
Wow! So clean! Amazing dust collection job, not to mention all your tools completely sellable! Man, good work!

I am amazed how well the dust collection worked. With  my old sled I would get sick feeling  from all the walnut dust. Not so with  this one. This is supposed  to just be a learning step for the next one I had planned.  I want to make one that is adjustable to be able to run on mill rails from 20 to 36 inches wide with simple belt anchors that clamp to the rails. If things get better  I will but for now I will be happy to just have this.  It's  amazing what can be made with a couple parts from Amazon. 

Larry

Great video and a high quality build.  I'm going to refer back to it when I start building one.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

21incher

Quote from: Larry on April 15, 2022, 09:19:23 PM
Great video and a high quality build.  I'm going to refer back to it when I start building one.
Start a thread when you build yours. Having controlled feed really  gives a beautiful finish.  Now to try that cutter with epoxy fills.   

aigheadish

Do you think that dust collector could be fitted to a manual sled? I'll have to look more closely at it to see why that wouldn't work... 

And, does it bother you to not see the router bit as it cuts?
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

21incher

Quote from: aigheadish on April 18, 2022, 10:01:57 AM
Do you think that dust collector could be fitted to a manual sled? I'll have to look more closely at it to see why that wouldn't work...

And, does it bother you to not see the router bit as it cuts?
You can do it but a router moves a lot of air downward making it hard to collect the real fine stuff. I would  rather not see dust in the air then see the bit.  

21incher

Well finally made a space in the shop and finished it up. Cheated and bought a clearance butcher block top and cheap metal legs for it. The final video.
Finishing Up My Dustless Slab Flattening Machine - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!