iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbrotz and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

metalspinner

A General lathe! I have one of those!
I am in the middle of a "production" run of turned parts and often think about turning craftsmen back in the day. 
A friend of mine buy lots of equipment at auctions. He picked up a wood lathe that must be 100 years old. The lathe must have been set up for one operation.  The bed of the lathe shows wear where the turner kept placing his tool over and over creating a worn impression. Pretty cool to see. 
My buddy cleaned up the lathe mostly to use as a show piece. Then one of his guys was moving it with a fork lift and dropped it breaking the cast iron leg.  😳🙄
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Don P

Larry, I was late seeing it and now... I've been wondering every time your last post goes by, what species was that table and what is the black light doing?

My mind wanders in that direction often when working on old stuff. I'm at a switch of builders where I am right now, must have been around 1911... and the current client isn't happy with me. Must be a tough corner  :D

Larry

Don it is cherry with a history.  Salvaged after it was uprooted by the 2019 Rogers Ar. tornado at the Pinnacle Golf Course. 

The black light shows up any glue squeeze out so I can clean it up with hot water and a toothbrush.  The black light turns the glue a yellow/green color....at least it does with the hide glue I normally use.

And here are a couple of pictures of the completed case.  I have two folks interested in having one made but I'm having trouble coming up with a price.  Should have kept better track of my time.  It sells for $2,000 at Thos Moser.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doc henderson

a custom job could be priced higher.  folks see a mass produced something in a store, and ask if I can make it.  when it costs more and they say it was only 30 bucks at the store I took the picture of it in, and I should then say go get it at the store.  My stuff often is from sentimental wood and engraved for the recipient.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

I got my drill/screwdriver holder done and in. It's not top notch quality but it's quick and dirty kick edited by admin. I'm pleased. I expected to put it elsewhere until the length of it made that a problem. I'd already had a shelf over the freezer here and as I passed by, one day, I thought it may work. It did! I added the shelf to this contraption and it worked out well. Battery charging, bit, and drill/driver holding and room to grow. Good stuff.

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Brad_bb

@aigheadish Pic is too far away,  need a closer up.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

trimguy

I finally got some work benches built.

A 4' x 8' and a 4' x 4'. The smaller one is on locking casters to butt up to the 8 footer if needed or to use as an out feed table for my planer or large table saw.

Crusarius

Why is it most guys on this forum have workbenches that look like they should be clear coated and put into a nice house for dinner?

Old Greenhorn

I was wondering that myself. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

ron barnes

Looking good.  You will definitely appreciate the benches.

metalspinner

I spend up to 10-12 hours a day everyday at my bench earning a living. It deserves to be the nicest work surface. 😉

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Crusarius on January 22, 2023, 10:05:47 PM
Why is it most guys on this forum have workbenches that look like they should be clear coated and put into a nice house for dinner?

You obviously have not seen my work surfaces! :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crusarius

Hey, if you can actually see the work surface your much further ahead than I am :)

aigheadish

Closer shot of the drill holder, it's not art but it works and has the benefit of the big shelf on top, which I didn't want to lose:

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

aig I really like your use of space with a combo workbench/freezer!   :D :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I think he did that so he cold have an ice pop while waiting for batteries to charge. Pretty forward thinking if you ask me. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

aigheadish

Hahaha, I do occasionally use the freezer top as a workbench! 

The shelf there was one of the first things I did in that garage and one of the best. It is right outside the door going into the house and it has been great for holding junk like those paper towels and it was holding all the chargers. 

The drill holder, once I'd basically had it done, was much bigger/wider than I anticipated. I was planning on putting it on the french cleats I've got heading to the shop, in the little alcove hallway thing, but didn't want to take that much space with it, not to mention needing to rearrange all the junk under the cleats (and I don't have easy power there). I assumed I'd have to rebuild, so I  looked at the holder, then looked at the french cleats, then the holder, then I just let it sit on the bench for a week or so, then I noticed the space under the shelf but above the freezer! Eureka!

Larry

Trapped inside the shop because of the Arkansas blizzard of '23 I decided to make a Whac-A-Mole mallet to complement the holdfasts I made a few days ago.

The head is black locust and the handle hole is taper reamed on both sides.  Maple wedge and glued with West Systems G-Flex.  Handle was dried to 2% MC so it will expand and lock in place. 

And than the power went out....I have a back up generator which will power light loads so I did hand work.

Worked on a knife.  Filed and sanded the finger guard and hand sanded the blade to 1,000 grit for a satin finish.  I forgot to put my makers markers on before heat treating so I have a problem.  Maybe I'll explore etching.  Fitted the handle and I'll finish tomorrow.

Any other knife makers here?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

twar

Quote from: Larry on January 26, 2023, 10:21:34 PMAny other knife makers here?

Can't call myself a knife maker, but I do enjoy pounding hot steel on my old Söderfors anvil :D

terrifictimbersllc

What wood is the handle on your mallet?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

aigheadish

Surprise! 

Larry is an amazing wood worker and bladesmith. Jeez! Good work Larry.

Tom K

Larry - Not Knives, but I do a little forging. I noticed your hold downs were forged and thought about bringing it up the other day. All your work looks great, both steel and wood. 

A few pictures of stuff from the last couple years. Nothing great, I still have a lot of room for improvement.

A business card holder for my wife's desk at work, and an extra rose.

Gift's for the family for Christmas a couple years ago

Some wall hooks and such

Larry

Excellent work Tom!  I'm just a hack when it comes to forging.  I would love to have your skills and knowledge about the craft.

TT, the mallet handle is black walnut.  Strength wise walnut is not the best handle choice so I kept it a little on the heavy side.

21incher

Playing with plastic. Trying to fix the dust collection problem for 4 inch stock on my new Bosch Glide. Started by building a plastic hood.

First try is a failure but was fun learning to use the new laser for acrylic projects. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

Engine cover for a SpaceX booster???

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!