iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Craftsman log splitter

Started by maineshops, June 16, 2022, 08:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maineshops

I have a 27 ton 15 yr old log splitter and the engine has taken its last breath . A search tells me that there are no replacement for it. Any ideas what to do. Dan
Phil:4, 13

B.C.C. Lapp

What kind of shape is the rest of the splitter in?   Rails still tracking good?   Pump good?   If its got some life left in it then it can be adapted to take a different motor.    Would certainly take some fabricating but it could be done.    You'd have to compare costs of a new splitter against what the changes to the old one would cost. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

sawguy21

What engine, make and model, do you have? Vertical or horizontal shaft? Horsepower?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hedgerow

Dan like Sawguy said we need more information on what you have and what type of fab skills you have. Most of those old splitters had a 5-8 HP engine on them. I have put new engines on a ton of those old Sears, Monkey Wards and farm store splitters. If they were vertical motors I make them horizontal shaft motors. I put Harbor Freight Honda clone engines on them and get a new pump bracket and love joy pieces from Surplus Center. I just did a old MTD for a guy about a month ago. I have lots of Harbor freight motors out here on the farm and have had zero issues with them. Just was pumping water into the sprayer early this AM with one. 

maineshops

It is a b&s 6.5 hp vertical shaft engine. The rest of it is in good shape otherwise. About 7 cord a year for maybe 15 yrs. I'm a retired tool and die maker with fairly good machine skills.I have a lathe ,mill,  welders ,etc  to support the itch. Big problem is failing eyesight and I am  was looking for the easiest solution.
     I should be able to go with the horizontal hf engine and bracket for the pump with the lovejoy coupler. Welding is a big problem for me but a can still manage to tack weld if I need to. Sure appreciate all the suggestions as it stimulates my old brain. I would like to bull another cord or two out of my woods before snow flies . Many thanks for the help.

Old Greenhorn

You'd want to check the shaft size and length. I see Jack's Small engine has a B&S 7.25HP with a 7/8" shaft x 3.156" long for about $183.00. You may find a direct bolt in and that would of course be easiest.
 Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

You also need the cast iron flywheel which you may be able to use from the old engine.

maineshops

Maybe I can even find an electric start one. Getting harder to start this stuff. Ma just bought me a battery pole saw. Good tool. .....Dan

maineshops

Saw guy..please expand on the flywheel?

Corley5

If you have electricity where you use it an electric motor may be a possibility  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

maineshops

sawguy21

@maineshops Most of those engines have a lightweight aluminum flywheel as they are used on lawn mowers where the blade also provides inertia. Your pump doesn't do that so it will need a heavier one to get the engine started without kick back and maintain rpm. Try starting your mower with the blade removed, you will see what I mean. BTW the flywheel off your old L-head won't work on the new ohv engines.

hedgerow

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 17, 2022, 11:25:31 AM
@maineshops Most of those engines have a lightweight aluminum flywheel as they are used on lawn mowers where the blade also provides inertia. Your pump doesn't do that so it will need a heavier one to get the engine started without kick back and maintain rpm. Try starting your mower with the blade removed, you will see what I mean. BTW the flywheel off your old L-head won't work on the new ohv engines.
This is the reason I always just switch to a horizontal engine and be done with it. The MTD I did a while back could be a twin to your craftsman. 

maineshops

Ok got the principle of it. I'm ignorant on small engines. Is the flywheel external or internal and why does a vertical shaft need one and not a horizontal? Heavier crank? 

sawguy21

Most horizontal engines are not directly coupled to high inertia loads although some leaf blowers are an exception. 

maineshops

Thanks much sawguy I have always tried to learn something new every day. Keeps the old brain busy. Had my daughter show me how to post the pictures of the splitter. I don't think I'll ever learn that. Dan

maineshops

Got my engine ordered for the splitter. Local hf don't know when they will have some in. Can't ship one in to this state because they are shipped with oil in them. All the stumps here in main are in the woods. 
Do I have to get longer hoses to change engines from vertical to horizontal shaft? Thanks ...Dan

sawguy21

You won't know until you get it mounted but shouldn't be much of an issue.

maineshops

Thanks sawguy just trying to think ahead. Got 4.5  cord in but would like to get another cord or to in before snow flies. Not planning on using any oil this winter... Dan

hedgerow

Quote from: maineshops on June 20, 2022, 06:38:28 PM
Got my engine ordered for the splitter. Local hf don't know when they will have some in. Can't ship one in to this state because they are shipped with oil in them. All the stumps here in main are in the woods.
Do I have to get longer hoses to change engines from vertical to horizontal shaft? Thanks ...Dan
Dan you will need a new pump mount bracket for the engine. I don't know what you guys have for farm supply stores up your way. Around here they carry parts for the smaller splitters. Surplus center in Lincoln Ne has pump, engine brackets and hoses if you need them. They ship nor problem. The last MTD that I changed motors on I had to replace the suction hose as it wasn't long enough for the horizontal set up. If you weren't half way across the country I would just tell you to bring it over and I would fix you right up. 

maineshops

Thanks hedgerow. 
Any reason the pump needs to be attached. To the engine? I was thinking of a separate angle bracket and lovejoy coupling rout. Haven't torn it apart yet. Our daughter is visiting from Washington and doing some plumbing and electrical work as well as canning some fish we had in the freezer.
Engine won't be here till next week.  Dan

hedgerow

Dan  There is no reason the pump needs to be mounted to the motor. Its just cleaner and easier to use a bracket. The cost of a bracket isn't too bad. If you make your own make sure the alignment of the motor shaft to the pump shaft is 100% or the love joy won't last. I made the bracket for the pump on my conveyor probably 15 years ago and its been working fine. There wasn't a factory one that would fit that pump and motor set up. 

maineshops

Ya hedgerow. I can bore a solid copelar for mounting the pump. Then switch to the lovejoy on assembly. The engine is shipped so it should be here in a few days. Finding a engine based mount that would have the right criteria for the proper assembly around here will be next to impossible around here. Ludlow is not the end of the world but you can see it from here. Dan.

maineshops

Engine should be here soon. IsThe adapter bracket that couples the engine to pump standard bolt pattern wise? I s hem advertised online but no specks. Tx dan 

hedgerow

Quote from: maineshops on June 27, 2022, 08:30:11 AM
Engine should be here soon. IsThe adapter bracket that couples the engine to pump standard bolt pattern wise? I s hem advertised online but no specks. Tx dan
Dan They are and they aren't. Most of the smaller engines like you are going to use are the same now days. Look up Surplus center in Lincoln Ne and they have the specs listed and they have a adapter bracket that will work for you. 

Thank You Sponsors!