iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wildfires 2022

Started by Riwaka, July 26, 2022, 05:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Quote from: caveman on September 09, 2022, 03:45:50 PM
Rob, stay safe.  Your preparation will likely pay off.
The last couple of days we could see all the air assets working tirelessly, even into the night. Today, we have 20-30 knot winds, occasional gusts to 60, and not really much rain, just snot. From where we are the fire is now going away from us. We got lucky....this time. On the other hand, there is no power to rolling black outs, thousands of folks forced to evacuate, and our roads are closed. To add to the misery, folks who have left to get food for their families and animals, are not being allowed back into our area. What a mess.
As far as being prepared; it has turned out that having the gen set, the ability to pump water and keep all of the ranch alive, we're doing well. We are able to help other folks from our stocked freezers and extra animal food.
Luck favors the prepared.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Larry

Glad your safe and good on you for helping the neighbors!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Riwaka on September 09, 2022, 05:39:49 PM
I can't remember seeing a big tanker plane flying in such low light levels.

Video shows impressive back-to-back slurry drops on Fairview Fire - YouTube
I think that first, small, plane was a spotter and he left a trail for the Borax Bomber to drop it's load.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

Well just keep doing what y'all know is the right thing to do. I have been a tad obsessed with checking the reports all day and worrying about you. I know worrying does no good for anyone, but it's the best I can do. Hoping that rain finally moves in as a few more hours go by. That spittle you have coming down probably gets evaporated before it hits the ground.
 I was on the line one time and the word got hollered down the line to cover up, there was a drop coming in. They dumped right on top of us and all I felt was a light rain. It wasn't encouraging, but here they don't use the retardant, just water. They have to hunt to get that. The NYC reservoirs all over will not allow them to pull THEIR water for fires, even on their own land for their own fires. Go figger.
 Hang in there man.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

newoodguy78

I've been following your updates close as well. Not much I can do from the opposite side of the country but wish you and everyone else out there the best. Appreciate the updates man. Stay safe and trust your gut. 

tule peak timber

Good vibes go a long way, and eventually what goes around, comes around. Thanks.

Old Greenhorn

How is it looking today Rob? Maybe some more rain coming in? I read last night's update, not much info on your corner of the fire that I can glean. This morning's report update says 40% contained, fire break work continues, and the fire is not moving very much. Looks like the rain may have done some good?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Anybody hear from Rob today?

doc henderson

nope.  he must be busy.  hope he and his are safe.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

I worked in the shop all day today. The big winds blew the fire away from us and saved our bacon! Very little rain to speak of and I will start irrigation again tomorrow. The roads were opened up last night and people were able to get back to their homes and animals. Temps are mid 80's with a lot of monsoon clouds. Power is back on !
 Thanks for checking on us. :)

Old Greenhorn

Really pleased to her this. I have been running around all day and no time to check the forum. When I just got home and didn't see an update, I worried a little (OK, maybe more) that you were overloaded dealing with new developments.
 Really glad thing are working out. smiley_blue_bounce

firefighter ontheside

That's good news to hear.  I hope the little bit of rain at least raised the RH enough to slow the fire.  

That little plane that comes in ahead of the bomber is called the lead plane.  They fly ahead of the bomber to scout out the route and make sure it will be safe for the larger plane to come in and can relay info about what path to take.  Whenever you heard that plane fly over, you stopped what you were doing.  There is always the risk of getting dumped on, as Tom pointed out, and then you have to worry about the trees  that may fall.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

dogone

Lead plane is called the Bird Dog.
Just sayin 

Walnut Beast

Glad the ranch is safe. Have you sawn up any of the fire damaged trees. My mulching friend from Oregon that's out your way all the time says the fire damage areas where they are logging says in those big areas it doesn't matter how many machines they have out there they can't get all the trees out. He said they say the burned trees are good for one year in that condition 

Skeans1

Quote from: Walnut Beast on September 10, 2022, 09:32:59 PM
Glad the ranch is safe. Have you sawn up any of the fire damaged trees. My mulching friend from Oregon that's out your way all the time says the fire damage areas where they are logging says in those big areas it doesn't matter how many machines they have out there they can't get all the trees out. He said they say the burned trees are good for one year in that condition
It depends on what they're being used for and where they're going bugs become the issue. 

clearcut

Responding to OG, most of the projects I work on are for small landowners, so the sizes, and follow up treatments vary. If they receive funding from a state or federal program, most agreements have a 10 year maintenance requirement.

Some projects, like those near Volcanoville involved several private landowners working together to share costs of planning, grant writing, and using the same contractor to perform the fuel reduction work. They also got on the county for more frequent RoW maintenance. 

Responding to ljohnsaw, the Watch Duty app (highly recommended if you are in California) monitors the fire situation and updates frequently using both official and unverified information. Their updated perimeter estimates come from satellite imagery.

The Mosquito is currently at 44,443 ac. Still in Evacuation Warning, but the fire making a run in this direction is much less likely. Still choking on smoke.

Zeke Lunder at The-Lookout.org gives updates on most large California fire perimeters and possible behavior up to twice a day on YouTube. Also recommended. 

Waiting on a hurricane to swat a Mosquito. 
Carbon sequestered upon request.

charles mann

We are working 2 fires between grangeville and elk city, id. Our manager said it would a season ender since assets are spread thin again. There is 1 crane, 1 k-max and our chinook to work both fires, plus we are also initial attack, which means breaking off one fire to hit another. They are def keeping us busy. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Nebraska

sawguy21

I have been keeping an eye on you guys, stay safe! We are having our challenges too, quite smoky this morning. Highway 1 east of Vancouver, the major route to the interior, is closed due to an out of control fire west of Hope. There are numerous small fires in our area but BCFS seems to have learned lessons from last year and is getting on them quickly.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

charles mann

When i left idaho, for colorado to fill in for a week, while on approach into denver, we were told the haze and poor air quality were from the fires in idaho. 
Even the fire a pilot friend died on when his acft had flt control failure, is still burning but slowly getting under control. 

We have a ship on a fire just east eugene, or and looking at some pics from one of the mechs when flying in, its raging pretty good. 

This yr has been a bit of a busy fire season, like that of 2020. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Riwaka

60 minutes review piece on the 2021 Caldor Fire and the burning of Grizzly Flats township.
Almost like sugar cane farmers burning the crop prior to harvest.
Evidence shows U.S. Forest Service mismanagement contributed to California wildfire | 60 Minutes - YouTube

BAN

Season isn't over in western WA yet. On the Bolt cr. Fire above Skykomish. Several other fires growing over here as well.

quilbilly

It's the driest Sep and Oct I can ever remember. Finally get some rain at the end of the week
a man is strongest on his knees

BAN

Highway 2 west of Skykomish 

sawguy21

And we are seeing the smoke. We also have some persistent fires in the south Okanagan valley. If we don't get substantial moisture we are in trouble.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!